{ Poll }What would be your ultimate OS?

68 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be Your ultimate PC* operating system? And Why?

• Windows 8
    • ChromeOS
    • MacOSX Lion
    • Android^
    • Linux

* : When I say PC, I mean desktop/laptop only.

^ : Android COULD have a future on desktop, as it is continually improved. And their are Android Laptops too.

(According to some inside papers, Microsoft includes Google in the list of companies that could harm their desktop PC business. Linux however is not included as a threat any more. And of course, Apple makes it to the list too.)

Whole thing is personal preference of course, would never base my pick on a random poll.. could care less what everybody else thinks, if it doesn't work for me it's gone.. I'm secure enough to not follow the flavor of the month. Anywho, I have "the big three" installed on various systems, for me for the desktop, it's easily Windows. Partially due to my favorite software being designed for it, partially gives the least amount of fuss and (for me) the most productive workspace. So far I'm really liking for the most part what I'm seeing of Windows 8, just need to wait and see when I get my hands on the RTM build to see if I still feel the same, although pretty sure I will. I like change, change is good.

I find *Nix fun to tinker with but far from complete in usability, no clear lack of standards outside of file formats (choice is good... to a point), and available consumer level software outside of the FOSS arena is practically non-existent. Servers of course are a different answer, mine are a healthy mix depending on the needs (namely IIS/ASP or the traditional LAMP stack).

OSX would be my second choice, I'm just not a fan of the thing, but partially biased as I grew up with Unix and DOS/Windows, so it just "feels backasswards" at times when I use it. If I started with an old Apple 2 instead of working with Xenix and eventually DOS I'd probably feel differently. ChromeOS and Android I really couldn't see really getting a foothold in the desktop market. Great for devices that go in your pocket perhaps, but not there.

Windows 8 with a proper unix subsystem would be perfect. I hate how buggy Linux is and how crappy the GUI's are but I love the command line...

Btw, don't you just love how FHM has to try to be unique with his topic titles and posting format all the time? :rolleyes:

Windows 8 of course.

Erm... PowerShell?

Actually quite powerful once you get the hang of it.. just different from what many are used to at first. There's always Bash or Win32 ports of the GNU toolkit for the traditional console if that's your thing too, slap on an SSH server and off you go.

I still have hope that Apple will release OSX on PCs - maybe special cutted version or something. I like their OS because of simplicity (installing software by drag n drop mostly) and good looking.

Im currently using Windows, but after reading recent Win 8 news, rumors im starting to think about switching to Mac or Linux soon (classic gui - unity or similiar fancy stuff makes me sick) or stick with Win 7 as long as it will be possible.

None of the ones listed. I have little interest in seeing Chrome or Android on the desktop. Traditional Linux is getting boring. OS X is kind of meh, and Windows 8 is so-so. How are any of these an ultimate OS? I think we could do a lot better.

windows 8 with a better looking UI (dark glass look instead of the bright colored tiles) and awesome virtualization tech built it.

also with it only taking up less then 12 GB HDD or SSD space once installed.

along with an nvidia system with GPU merged with CPU and having the best of both worlds integrated on the OS. (like more use of CUDA,DirectCompute, and OpenCL)

and use the above GPU stuff for audio/video editing/encoding, etc....

Awesome DSP and audio effects built into the OS and better soundcard integration and drivers.

None of the ones listed. I have little interest in seeing Chrome or Android on the desktop. Traditional Linux is getting boring. OS X is kind of meh, and Windows 8 is so-so. How are any of these an ultimate OS? I think we could do a lot better.

ohmy.gif

Your comment really surprises me.

So there is nothing "great" in this world for you?

The Ultimate OS would be the programs of Windows, the look and feel of OSX Lion, and the price of Linux haha

I have both Windows 7 and Fedora 15. I use Linux the most. I got kinda bored with Windows...Needed a change, but there are things I miss about Windows at times lol Hope to try out a Mac soon..But Windows 8 is ugly...(By default anyways)

The UI and design of OS X combined with the functionality and practicality of Windows.

That would be perfect.

ohmy.gif

Your comment really surprises me.

So there is nothing "great" in this world for you?

I can think of some. You did say ultimate. There was nothing wrong with your poll... I would just pick something different as my ultimate choice (on the desktop).

1). Dragonfly BSD

2). IBM Workplace OS (modern take, x86-64 only and maybe provide Yellowbox and Windows personalities)

3). VMS, ported to x86-64 with a good UI

4). Be OS updated with a modern UI and overall improvements

5). Free BSD

6). Amiga OS (true port, new UI)

1. Windows XP as it runs amazingly fast and it doesn't try to be flashy.

An OS doesn't need to have a load of gimmicky add ons to try and make it look good they just need to be quick and easy to use, all the gismos that vista and 7 have just slow it down and **** you off.

2. Snow Leopard as i don't want my computers OS to be a like mobile phone + lion seems rather buggy.

Thats mine but i'm sure plenty of you will disagree.