Explain Fedex tracking

I ordered a LCD from Dell on Friday morning and i tried to track the shipment through fedex...i dont quite understand the logic of the route there taking. Look at the pic i took from the website, Its suppose to be going to my house "riverview, fl." and tampa is only a few mins away... what does package sent back to orlando mean.. I dont get why it was already in tampa and then they sent it all the way back to orlando, anyone know?

post-7-1064263208.jpg

It's impossible to call and ask FedEx anything, Blaise. I've tried calling them numerous times, and YOU CAN'T TALK TO A PERSON. In fact, I just tried to call them today to find out why my LCD that I ordered from Dell on Thursday is just sitting in my local delivery hub, without ever a delivery being attempted. But when I call, there is no option that can get me to a person. There are numerous email contact forms, though, so try those.

I looked around and there are some references to them using circuitous routes in shipping (buried in pdf docs about interstate commerce regs)

but nothing specific,

they seem to all be related to them sending things back to their base in Memphis ie:

Federal Express picks up a package in Terre Haute, Indiana, bound for nearby Gary. Although FedEx has a state-of-the-art national hub in Indianapolis, it is cheaper to fly the package to the company's hub in Memphis, Tennessee, sort it there, and fly it back to Indiana, even at twice the cost of transporting it directly, than to comply with state regulations governing intrastate carriers.

heh go figure.

MrRogers, It actaully is possible to speak with a reprenstive. Don;t you just hate that anooying lady that keeps asking you to speak to her? Anyway, its a tad tricky but what you have to do is: when it asks you for what service you want just be queit and say nothing, then she is going to run her mouth and say she didnt hear you, then this should happen a 2nd time, just wait on the phone, I i am sure finally, she will ask you to say represnetve, that will connect you with a LIVE person, what a pain....Companies these days... I wish i could just pick up my LCD in tampa, i hear they dont let you....:(

Uh, when we missed our DSL modem signature here, I was able to get on the phone with someone fairly easily. Just say "rep" on the menu and it should connect you with a person.

And you can pick up from FedEx, that's one of their advantages. Other companies (like UPS) don't. I know cause my roommate's dad is a FedEx pilot too. ;)

I'm currently the owner of two Mailboxes etc. type stores (called Postal Annex, www.postalannex.com), where our main business is doing shipping via FedEx and UPS, so I can answer your original question.

The reason the package is routed to Orlando is because thats where their headquarters is. UPS headquarters are located somewhere near Arizona, and FedEx are in Florida.

Think about it. Millions of packages are sent through FedEx every day. They need a centralized system. By sending all packages to the headquarters, they can then send the packages back out to their locations. Although your home is a few minutes away from the shipping location, there is not enough manpower, thinkingpower, or any sort of system possible that can automatically think "Oh, he's so close, so we dont need to send it to the HQ."

Get it?

And regarding TimDorr's comment... UPS also allows for a pickup from their many pickup locations.

Alright, being a former employee at fedex, I can correctly tell you what's going on here.

First off. When the package was originally picked up or dropped off to fedex, it was not scanned, or not correctly scanned.

In addition to that, it was not scanned on its way out to the sort facility.

So the first time the packege shows up in the tracking system is when it was scanned on the departure of the sort facility. It was scanned twice (not uncommon since a machine double checks everything there)

From there it was put on a plane headed to orlando florida.

From that point it was put on a truck headed to Tampa florida.

It was then scanned as being at the terminal waiting.

Now, overnight, the system in orlando discovered the original error of never being originally scanned and fixed itself. That is why it says it was picked up in orlando. At the time of your post, it is/was still in tampa.

It's complicated but hopefully I've summed it all up for you

Also, a secret to the phone system, press 0 five time to automatically be connected to a live person. At least, thats what the "backdoor" was a few years ago.

EmuZombie, Thanks for you insight. It confuses you b/c it jumps from being at tampa to then saying orlando... I think i understand now but, So you say my package is still in tampa, so why would it take till Thursday to get here? That doesnt quite make sense. Tampa is only about 30 mins awawy? Thanks

i haveorderdf from fedex TONS over the last 10yrs stuff from companies that ship fedex, and IM In florida and its been GREAT i always get stuff ahead of time seirously the ups here has been mean to me, i ordered something last month and the tracking said it was in texas on a 3-4day order texas was there the 5th day i got it on the 8th day and they just sat it in front of the garage im glad i have a long roof cuz it rained stupid ups idiots wtf is there problem the tracking still said it was in texas too and i had signature confirmation LOL ya forge my sig gg

EmuZombie, Thanks for you insight. It confuses you b/c it jumps from being at tampa to then saying orlando... I think i understand now but, So you say my package is still in tampa, so why would it take till Thursday to get here? That doesnt quite make sense. Tampa is only about 30 mins awawy? Thanks

Its because the shipper paid for express saver service. (3-5 days) Thursday is the latest it will come. The only way this would happen now is if the truck that makes the deliveries is full each day. Since it's priority isnt until Thursday, it will wait until that day. However, normally if there is room (and time) it will be delivered early. Since today is Monday, the chances of that are very good.

It's impossible to call and ask FedEx anything, Blaise. I've tried calling them numerous times, and YOU CAN'T TALK TO A PERSON. In fact, I just tried to call them today to find out why my LCD that I ordered from Dell on Thursday is just sitting in my local delivery hub, without ever a delivery being attempted. But when I call, there is no option that can get me to a person. There are numerous email contact forms, though, so try those.

You guys just haven't tried hard enough.... All you do is call FedEx Express at 1-800-GO-FEDEX and then hit the * key and it will get you to a live person.

Uh, when we missed our DSL modem signature here, I was able to get on the phone with someone fairly easily. Just say "rep" on the menu and it should connect you with a person.

And you can pick up from FedEx, that's one of their advantages. Other companies (like UPS) don't. I know cause my roommate's dad is a FedEx pilot too. ;)

Actually, UPS, DHL/Airborne, FedEx all allow pickups but it has to be after they made atleast one attempted delivery. FedEx Express hasn't delivered any of my packages for the last 4 years because apparently, they don't have the patience to wait for someone to open the gate like Airborne, FedEx Ground, UPS does. Not to mention, the last time a Dell Inspiron 8200 was at the FedEx station, it went missing before it went on the truck.

I'm currently the owner of two Mailboxes etc. type stores (called Postal Annex, www.postalannex.com), where our main business is doing shipping via FedEx and UPS, so I can answer your original question.

The reason the package is routed to Orlando is because thats where their headquarters is. UPS headquarters are located somewhere near Arizona, and FedEx are in Florida.

Think about it. Millions of packages are sent through FedEx every day. They need a centralized system. By sending all packages to the headquarters, they can then send the packages back out to their locations. Although your home is a few minutes away from the shipping location, there is not enough manpower, thinkingpower, or any sort of system possible that can automatically think "Oh, he's so close, so we dont need to send it to the HQ."

Get it?

And regarding TimDorr's comment... UPS also allows for a pickup from their many pickup locations.

Except your information is inaccurate.... You're referring to where their Hub is.

FedEx headquarters is at the Memphis, TN Airport

Airborne Express Headquarters is in Seattle, Washington even though their major hub is in Wilmington, Ohio

UPS Headquarters is in Louisville, Kentucky