iPhone 5 & 4S was supposed to be at "Lets talk iPhone" event

I have heard a rumor from a (probably unreliable) source that the "Lets talk iPhone" event was supposed to be for a dual release of the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4S.

Because of Steve Job's health, they shelved the iPhone 5 because it wasn't ready yet and they needed to get at least one event out there run by Tim Cook as the new CEO, to show the shareholders that the company is as strong as ever and can go ahead without Steve Jobs at the helm.

So the iPhone 5 could still be coming quite soon.

I have heard a rumor from a (probably unreliable) source that the "Lets talk iPhone" event was supposed to be for a dual release of the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4S.

Because of Steve Job's health, they shelved the iPhone 5 because it wasn't ready yet and they needed to get at least one event out there run by Tim Cook as the new CEO, to show the shareholders that the company is as strong as ever and can go ahead without Steve Jobs at the helm.

Very doubtful, the earliest I can see the iPhone 5 come out is June next year

Very, very unlikely. If they wanted to give Tim Cook a huge opening, it would have been the iPhone 5.

Honestly, what I’m seeing is an iPhone 4GS in mid-2012, having all the features the iPhone 4S has + the 4G network.

Basically they would have named this one the 4S because it would go like that :

iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 4GS

instead of the following, which is confusing for any customer :

iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> iPhone 4G

No, they weren't planning to reveal 2 phones. They revealed 1 phone at the event like you noticed a circled "1" on the image below which meant they were talking about 1 phone. If they were talking about 2 phones, then they will put "2" on the image.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU3EVx_2mmG12JKRjk3mCTrSgvxGoN3FpWm3PxWO13lJcUARPE

Therese was and is a lot of evidence out there that an iPhone 5 with a somewhat different form factor was being released, including a lot of cases out at distirbutors and stores.

Two iPhones at once is very unlike Apple, but not impossible. And rumors is that they're waiting for 4g to mature to release the 5.

No, they weren't planning to reveal 2 phones. They revealed 1 phone at the event like you noticed a circled "1" on the image below which meant they were talking about 1 phone. If they were talking about 2 phones, then they will put "2" on the image.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU3EVx_2mmG12JKRjk3mCTrSgvxGoN3FpWm3PxWO13lJcUARPE

while i think the original post isn't true, your argument against it is the worst.. it would literally take their designer a whole minute to change that.

Original iPhone - iPhone 1

iPhone 3g - iPhone 2

iPhone 3gs - iPhone 3

iPhone 4 - iPhone 4

iPhone 4s - iPhone 5

iPhone ? - iPhone 6

Get it? By releasing the iPhone 4s, they did release the iPhone 5. Mystery solved.

• Like 2

There was news recently that production of the next generation of LTE chips on the 28nm process was having production problems and that the chips had been pushed back to 2012. These are probably the chips that Apple is waiting on for an LTE phone. Whether they planned to release one sooner or not it seems like a pretty good bet that they will release an LTE phone in 2012 once these chips are available.

while i think the original post isn't true, your argument against it is the worst.. it would literally take their designer a whole minute to change that.

1 whole minute to change the number on the image? Then you or your designer is slow because you have done (or said it takes) 1 whole minute to change. Only takes a few seconds to change it.

It was not my idea about numbers on the image... I got that from someone else about 1 or 2 months ago... turned out that he was right and won a bet that Apple revealed that they are releasing 1 phone which is called iPhone 4s.

I think that originally months ago they wanted to reveal 2 phones however, it just did not work out that way, i do not think Steve had anything to do with it.

It is ridiculous how much people read into these cryptic messages hidden in Apple's press releases. Its like that movie National Treasures.

No, it's very unlike Apple. They try to make each keynote as grand as possible. "And one more thing"...?

Not every keynote has had a "One More Thing..." In fact, the only time that was even the actual tagline to a keynote was the October 2005 delayed announcement of the 5G iPod (the first one with video). From what I've heard, that was always intended to be introduced the same time as the original nano but was delayed.

It is ridiculous how much people read into these cryptic messages hidden in Apple's press releases. Its like that movie National Treasures.

People do that because Apple is known for having a lot of details in all their graphics and icons (including sometimes some secrets)

Gotta love these conspiracy theories emerging around a mobile phone release complete with supposedly cryptic messages hidden in the invite...

People give it a rest already... The iPhone 4S is the iPhone 5, deal with it.

I think they probably had heat problems and other things wrong with the design so they scrapped it and used the iphone 4's design. Releasing 2 phones would have been a nightmare. They have trouble keeping one new model instock never mind 2 new models.

Honestly, what I’m seeing is an iPhone 4GS in mid-2012, having all the features the iPhone 4S has + the 4G network. Basically they would have named this one the 4S because it would go like that : iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 4GS instead of the following, which is confusing for any customer : iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> iPhone 4G

Quite possible.

Something I read a few months ago was that there were production issues with the 4" screens... It's very possible that that is the reason we didn't get a iPhone 5, as I'm sure the 5 would have been what the 4s is without the new case and 4" screen.

Honestly, what I’m seeing is an iPhone 4GS in mid-2012, having all the features the iPhone 4S has + the 4G network.

Basically they would have named this one the 4S because it would go like that :

iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 4GS

instead of the following, which is confusing for any customer :

iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> iPhone 4G

That actually makes an astounding amount of sense. :yes:

It isn't cryptic at all. The images are pretty clear, they show the date (the Calendar icon), the time (the clock icon), the location (the Maps icon, which happens to show 1 Infinite Loop), and the phone icon with a 1 on it. Obviously the 1 had some significance or they would have just put the bare phone icon there.