iPhone 4S or Samsung Galaxy EPIC S2?

I'm with Sprint and it's time for an upgrade. I REALLY want the new iPhone but I also REALLY want the S2! Now, if I get the iPhone my bill drops by $10 a month because I have the premium data package for 4G which I NEVER use anyway. I really don't know what to do lol. I have an EVO right now and I'm pretty much done with it.

Thanks folks!

Seems like you've already decided on the iPhone. :D

The S2 on Sprint is massive but i'd at least check it out now since you can return it next week and get the iPhone if you really don't like it.

If you're pretty much done with the EVO, the SGS2 is the same OS but with many hardware improvements... so it depends on if you're sick of Android or sick of the hardware.

inb4 trolling... :laugh:

I say iPhone 4S, but that's just me.

Maybe give a little more input?

Also, would you bother repurchasing apps you have on your EVO as iOS version?

Furthermore, if you happen to have a Mac, keeping the eco-system intact might improve your experience as well.

Do you care about iCloud? If so, don't underestimate it.

Damn, iCloud will change my mobile life a LOT and it's going to be awesome.

Just me though.

Try out Siri in-store and see how you like it.

Didn't grasp the awesomeness at first either, now I know that I might be one of those who could find good use for it.

Keep in mind though it's beta and might need more training of your voice than you can provide in a quick session in a store.

So be nice to it.

My two cents.

Glassed Silver:mac

Man I am in the exact same boat as you. I'm with AT&T, was all set to get the Galaxy S2....And then I thought about it long and hard. I played with my wife's captivate (well, she's had it for a year or so now so have used it a bit) and I love the super amoled screen, found it faster than the iPhone 4 so I thought the Galaxy S2 was a no brainer of an option. But the one thing that makes me want to get the iPhone 4S? The app store. I love their app store. I love their apps. I can't get Resident Evil for the Android or Hipstamatic. I don't think Dead Space is on there and Infinity Blade certainly isn't. It shouldn't be a deal breaker but I'd like the option to download some of those apps for the ride on the transit for the days I don't want to pay for parking downtown while at work.

Am I crazy for considering sticking with Apple solely for the app store and it's apps? (I also like the glass screen but yeah, it has nothing on the amoled.)

And really...Will the A5 be any faster than the 1.2GHz Dual core in the S2.

Edit: Is the Xperia Play any good?

Yes, If we compare the A5 in the iPad 2 against the SG2:

41042.png

http://www.anandtech...hone-gpufor-now

Pretty sure the benchmark for the iPhone 4S will be almost the same.

Hmm. Damn.

Way to make it even harder for me :p. One thing on my wife's captivate is I felt like despite having multi-tasking, I couldn't switch between apps quickly. Either I'm retarded or you really do have to go to where you have your apps stored, find it, click back on it. Some apps you can get to from the pull-down menu like Pandora but not games. I like the double tap of the home button on the iPhone to get back to the apps.

Hmm. Damn.

Way to make it even harder for me :p. One thing on my wife's captivate is I felt like despite having multi-tasking, I couldn't switch between apps quickly. Either I'm retarded or you really do have to go to where you have your apps stored, find it, click back on it. Some apps you can get to from the pull-down menu like Pandora but not games. I like the double tap of the home button on the iPhone to get back to the apps.

Hold down home to pull up a list of the most recent six apps on the SGS2, where you can re-launch them from the menu that appears.

I think I'll just get the LG Thrill. It's a lot cheaper than either, I can return it in 30 days if I'm unhappy. And besides, I'm sure it will seem world's faster than my iPhone 3G 8GB.

As for you C-Squarez, if you're over your EVO because of the app store I'd get the 4S.

• Like 1

Yes, If we compare the A5 in the iPad 2 against the SG2:

41042.png

http://www.anandtech...hone-gpufor-now

Pretty sure the benchmark for the iPhone 4S will be almost the same.

That's about the graphics... So now let's look at the actual CPU speed of the 900 MHz dual CPU (iPad 2 and likely 4S as well) vs 1,2 GHz dual (Galaxy S II), I think the S II has a lot bigger chance to win..

And really...Will the A5 be any faster than the 1.2GHz Dual core in the S2.

Probably not.

That's about the graphics... So now let's look at the 900 MHz dual CPU (iPad 2 and likely 4S as well) vs 1,2 GHz dual (Galaxy S II). It's obvious who's going to win :shifty:

Not really, you got to take into account OS optomisation.

where as you're showing us no stats at all beyond your opinion.

I really don't need to, I just disproved Damien's stats. It's just logic sense, anyway.

If the 4S had 1,2 GHz and the S II 900 MHz, what would you say with such love for Apple?

I don't need to, I just disproved Damien's stats. It's just logic sense, anyway.

If the 4S had 1,2 GHz and the S II 900 MHz, what would you say with such love for Apple?

That their is other factors involved with them having??two different chip sets and different OS's, until a test can be done side by side I'll keep a open mind.

I don't need to, I just disproved Damien's stats. It's just logic sense, anyway.

you haven't disproved anything, saying the S2 has a more powerful CPU isn't saying much especially if it can't utilize it to its full extent

saying that, when you compare the two phones they both come out about even because the iPhone is able to utilize its CPU a lot better and doesn't need the bigger CPU to get the same results

in the end it comes down to personal opinion though, so don't go trying to force people in the opposite direction just because you don't like the phone/company

• Like 1

you haven't disproved anything, saying the S2 has a more powerful CPU isn't saying much especially if it can't utilize it to its full extent

saying that, when you compare the two phones they both come out about even because the iPhone is able to utilize its CPU a lot better and doesn't need the bigger CPU to get the same results

I just showed how Damien's stats are more about the GPU, not CPU.

I also know it could be false that the S II has a more powerful CPU, but then please show me proof that the "iPhone is able to utilize its CPU a lot better" or else I'll take that as random nonsense.

in the end it comes down to personal opinion though, so don't go trying to force people in the opposite direction just because you don't like the phone/company

I don't hate iPhone or Apple, I'm fine with it if people prefer them over the S II, I just find it disturbing how Damien shows us GPU stats to make us believe the CPU is better.

I also know it could be false that the S II has a more powerful CPU, but then please show me proof that the "iPhone is able to utilize its CPU a lot better" or else I'll take that as random nonsense.

where in that stat poster does it say it's just talking about CPU?

the stat poster is specifically talking about what phone can get better FPS

edit: and if you look at the link he posted as the source for the image the title of the article is "ARM's Mali-400 MP4 is the Fastest Smartphone GPU...for Now"

I thought it was well known that the Android OS is interpreted layer on top of a linux kernal. iOS is not, it has being written explicitly for the iPhone, Android because this, takes a performance hit.