Masking IP Address

Ok.. because i'm so nice, i'll tell you EXACTLY WHY it cant be done...

Your IP is like your home address,

when you go to a site, its like ordering a pizza...

you tell them ur address, and it delivers the pizza...

think about it...

if you covered up ur home address with duct tape, how the hell would the pizza guy find it?

same thing with the internet...

ok. I understand that but lets say someone on the net through AIM lets say or in a chat room. They can find out if people are using another name by checking the IP how can that be done? I mean IP to websites should be fine but I just don't think IP's should be for everyone to see.

It's like these posts. Why does it say IP and when you click on it. It won't let you? I know the admin turned it off so we can't see each others but what's the harm then? I'm aware of all these ping's and stuff but I have a fire wall on my router and zone alarm but don't think that's safe enough.

I was in a chat room and I have a network at home here. I signed on aim on 2 different computers and different names and they were able to tell I'm the same person and no I didn't tell anyone that. Do you guys have any idea how they could have known?

Thanks

Umm hiding your ip is as easy as getting out of bed in the morning. You find a public web proxy (www.multiproxy.org) and put it into your IE option under Connections - Lan Settings.

??? Whats hard about that ???

BTW, expect slow downloads, blockage from most sites and poor connections :)

As to blocking your IP on IRC .. then you needs a socks host (finding them are harder tho .. can be done) and you put it into your mIRC firewall options.

Or use IPV6 if you are technically minded enough to go learn about them and your irc network supports them.

Originally posted by larry

ok. I understand that but lets say someone on the net through AIM lets say or in a chat room. They can find out if people are using another name by checking the IP how can that be done? I mean IP to websites should be fine but I just don't think IP's should be for everyone to see.

It's like these posts. Why does it say IP and when you click on it. It won't let you? I know the admin turned it off so we can't see each others but what's the harm then? I'm aware of all these ping's and stuff but I have a fire wall on my router and zone alarm but don't think that's safe enough.

I was in a chat room and I have a network at home here. I signed on aim on 2 different computers and different names and they were able to tell I'm the same person and no I didn't tell anyone that. Do you guys have any idea how they could have known?

Thanks

Since I'm not sure exactly how AIM works, I'll use ICQ (which I'm familiar with) as an example. When you send a message to someone, even from 2 different usernames on 2 different computers (but in the same local network!), a connection will be opened between your computer and there's. By doing a simple netstat at the command prompt, a list of active connections can be seen. So a message from different usernames can be revealed to be coming from the same IP address (not neccessarily the same computer).

It is possible to send a packet with a false IP address: this is as close to "spoofing your ip" as you can get; however; you wont recieve a reply to it (since you reported an IP address that's different from it's source address), and this wont work over cable modems/dsl because of the way cable modems work.

Originally posted by larry

I'm aware of all these ping's and stuff but I have a fire wall on my router and zone alarm but don't think that's safe enough.

Thanks

someone have a case of *paranoia*? wtf are you so dame scared of?

I'm not scared of anything. Like I said. I was on my network at home here and in a chat room on both computers and they found out I was the same person somehow by my TCP/IP and probably a netstat. I just want to stay on top of all the stuff. And know how people do things like that.

if you were on irc they could simply do a "clone scan" on the channel wich is a feature found on most mirc scripts wich basically compares all the addresses of the ppl in the channel and display matches you could just do an /whois to see a users info wich also displays it's address if you whant to resolve the address to an ip simply /dns

if you whant to hide your adress from other users on irc most ppl now use vhosts (if you ever see an address like me@not.my.real.address or something a lot more funny than that you'll know that it's not a persons real address ;)

a vhost is not a program but rather you linking to irc through a shell to find out more do a web search on vhost it's a bit complicated to do a detailed explanation here.

geez people.

larry, you have 2 computer on your home lan.

they are connect to internet with only 1 cable modem.

therefore to the internet they look like same machine

change your name, irc client, your finger nail polish, doesn't matter

you still connect thru your cable modem which have only 1 ip address.

you can't hide your ip address from the internet. and stop thinking about that.