Exclusive: Nokia to launch Lumia 800 and 710 Windows Phones [pics]

nokialumialeak.jpg

WinRumors has learned that the company is planning to make the Lumia 800 and Lumia 710 devices available in November following an announcement at Nokia World on Wednesday. The Lumia 800, known previously as the Sea Ray, includes similar styling to the Nokia N9. Nokia’s Lumia 710 device, known previously as the Sabre, will also be unveiled. Both devices are expected to be made available in select European markets in November with U.S. launches next year.

More pics at source.

http://www.winrumors..._source=twitter

Seeing the way they're numbering things then I believe it's a given that we will get a 900 as well and whatever else they feel like fitting between 800-900 number wise.

I disagree, the 603 looks way better than the 701. To each their own of course, but a number of people feel the same way that the 603 is the best looking Symbian phone at the momen.t

+1

They shouldn't keep Symbian aside, it is still a good platform. The latest release, Belle looks even better

Instead they should get more developers on this OS

and "World" in Romanian (according to Google Translate)

Well, at least "world" is fine, but you would think a company the size of Nokia would do some research and pick names that aren't "offensive" in any of the languages spoken in their target markets.

I mean, do you want to buy a ###### for 420€? :shifty:

The phones have been launched.

http://www.engadget....-the-lumia-800/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/nokia-lumia-710-hands-on-video/

Although similar to the recently released N9, the Lumia 800 lacks a front facing camera which means Skype for Windows Phone is useless on this model.

The omission of the front camera is strange in a market where hardware bragging rights are becoming increasingly important. You'd think they would have thrown one in just to avoid complaints.

Having said that, I (and I suspect most people) have absolutely zero need for a front facing camera on a phone so it's not that big a deal for me.

The phones have been launched.

http://www.engadget....-the-lumia-800/

http://www.engadget....hands-on-video/

Although similar to the recently released N9, the Lumia 800 lacks a front facing camera which means Skype for Windows Phone is useless on this model.

not useless but crippled indeed, the lumia 710 shows a frontal camera on some screenshots, but on video the device its lack of it... what a PR mess.

Nokia is doing a Apple, in a few months you'll see a Lumia 810 with front facing camera and 32GB ready for the US cdma/lte market.

The omission of the front camera is strange in a market where hardware bragging rights are becoming increasingly important. You'd think they would have thrown one in just to avoid complaints.

Having said that, I (and I suspect most people) have absolutely zero need for a front facing camera on a phone so it's not that big a deal for me.

its one of those things that you have to include in 2011. Android phones have them inspite of lack of integrated video chat like Facetime. which brings me to another point. Facetime,Airplay,Siri,iCloud are the sorts of things that will be the differentiators, MS still hasn't got its act together those features front.

only thing today's nokiaworld shows us is that they are not lost cause yet, thats only for keeping the N9 design

Samsung Focus S is the phone to get on the WP7 front.

winph10192011asiad-10.jpg

Nokia is doing a Apple, in a few months you'll see a Lumia 810 with front facing camera and 32GB ready for the US cdma/lte market.

Apple could afford it, They had all the time in the world till Android caught up. MS is struggling at this point to even match the features on both Android and iOS. I don't even blame Nokia for the lack of Camera as MS hasn't gotten its act together about a Facetime competitor

Well, it could be that since this version of the phones are going to select markets, many of them lower end ones like India etc, that Nokia has user data to show that they don't use FFC enough to justify the extra cost and at the same time it lets Nokia drop the price. Video calls can't be good for your data plan i'd guess.

Remember these aren't for the US market and I expect updated 7x0 and 8x0 models specifially for the US at the start of 2012 with more. Remember it's almost Nov, Nokia said they're planning to release a steady flow of new devices going forward, so another 1 or 2 models in 2-3 months is easy to see.

the thing is Lumia (couldn't they come up with the better name?) N800 isnt priced as a low end phone. N800 currently its priced at Rs 32K ($647) same as an unlocked 16gb iPhone here. SGS2 unlocked costs $500 here.

so i'm hoping you are correct on Nokia deliberately cutting features out to cut prices. N800 is priced at < Rs 15K ($350) would sell.

if they are cutting prices sometime in future say 2,3 months, then Nokia missed a huge opportunity in PR. They could have announced it for lower prices and pulled an Kindle Fire like Amazon did and now would have had millions in pre orders.

one's gotta have disruptive effect these days especially when where the entire world is covering your product launch in an even hosted by the company.

sure i don't see many using video calls here as 3G plans are fairly expensive but with $G coming and 3G plan prices going down, i can see folks using them more in the coming years. Not many buy phones every year here so missing front facing camera and a smaller screen could be a deal breakers on hardware front in addition to missing features on WP7

The question is whether presence or absence of a front facing camera is relevant. But in today's world, where bragging rights rule the smartphone market, I feel Nokia has to upgrade its future phones as quickly as possible.Samsung has released the Omnia W and HTC has already come up with Radar, Both of them run Mango and have front facing cameras whether it is relevant or not.

Yes, the 800 is clearly designed for a western market regardless of whether it will go on sale in the US.

Personally I'm surprised MS didn't encourage Nokia to include a FFC to help them make a big fuss about Skype when it's released. As to whether WP7 can compete with iOS we have TellMe, Skydrive, Skype and some phones have DLNA. These all compete with the iOS features you listed - some are better and some are worse.

I agree that the Focus S is looking like the best of the current batch of phones but it's increasingly looking like it won't be released outside the US. If so, that would be a real shame and would mean that I probably won't upgrade until next year.

I really don't think well be waiting very long for new models from Nokia though. If you can wait till January or February then I think you should.

I'm going to hold on to my LG Optims 7 at least till we start to get an idea about WP8 and if first wave phones will be able to update to it or not.

Well, it could be that since this version of the phones are going to select markets, many of them lower end ones like India etc, that Nokia has user data to show that they don't use FFC enough to justify the extra cost and at the same time it lets Nokia drop the price.??Video calls can't be good for your data plan i'd guess.

Remember these aren't for the US market and I expect updated 7x0 and 8x0 models specifially for the US at the start of 2012 with more.?? Remember it's almost Nov, Nokia said they're planning to release a steady flow of new devices going forward, so another 1 or 2 models in 2-3 months is easy to see.

This is quite likely. Even in markets where it's not expensive, I had unlimited nationwide video calling on my Nokia N95 8GB back in 2007... I never used it once, Rogers was giving the feature away for free to anyone who could make use of it to get people using it in the hope they could monetise. Zilch. In HK a friend of mine said it was pretty much the same - the only people who used it were people who were working far away from their family. There's a specific type of person who wants to make use of it, and it certainly helps to be able to see your little darling 3 year old face to face with video calling, but really just talking over the phone and sending some picture messages does the trick well enough.

The question is whether presence or absence of a front facing camera is relevant. But in today's world, where bragging rights rule the smartphone market, I feel Nokia has to upgrade its future phones as quickly as possible.Samsung has released the Omnia W and HTC has already come up with Radar, Both of them run Mango and have front facing cameras whether it is relevant or not.

This really depends, in India, for instance, price is much more important than bragging rights, and since Nokia is still a well regarded brand there, if they can keep the price reasonably affordable for a good chunk of the >1billion population, that accounts for a significant jump in smartphone marketshare for Windows Phone, while also maintaining Nokia's smartphone marketshare. It makes a lot more sense to protect a market you still have than to focus entirely on one you've already lost.If Nokia can get their worldwide sales numbers quite high, with the benefit of markets like India and China, then in the US suddenly people will give them more credit. If Nokia exceeds Samsung and Apple in smartphone shipments, and all based on Windows Phone shipments, people will start wondering what they're missing.No strategy is guaranteed, but no matter what selling a cheap phone in India is going to be a lot easier than selling an expensive one in the US. You also have to take into account that while people might want a phone with all the latest specs, they'll go for one that's free on contract, or at the very least more affordable to them.BTW, I'm expecting the 710 to be the one racking up the sales, while the 800 is more for the people with money to burn.