'admin' account suddenly appeared...

I was on the computer and I switched users quickly and saw on the welcome screen, an account called 'admin' had been created...I logged off of all accounts and was still able to log in as 'Administrator' so I deleted the 'admin' account. But every time I restart, the 'admin' account keeps coming back. Do I have a virus or something? How do I stop it from coming back? :unsure:

You cannot delete the admin account; you can only disable it. If you disable the account, it wont show up on the welcome screen. If it's such a big deal to you, use Computer Management to disable it.

-gosh

DJ^TuRKiYe: you can rename your admin account using secpol.msc. I rename it for security, since most trojans/viruses try default username and password combinations such as Administrator/password.

-gosh

I was able to delete the 'admin' account but it still keeps coming back...I also noticed things are starting to act weird on the computer. Last night, Norton Antivirus autoprotect worked, and now it refuses to turn on.

I was able to delete the 'admin' account but it still keeps coming back...I also noticed things are starting to act weird on the computer. Last night, Norton Antivirus autoprotect worked, and now it refuses to turn on.

Have you read the posts in this tread! You can not delete the adminstrator account!!! XP will not allow this! The purpose of the admninstrator account is to assist in the recovery or solving problems with normal user accounts! Although you can disable it! Some programs needs the adminstrator account to install or work.

And gosh, where do you access secpol.msc?

DJ^TuRKiYe: you can rename your admin account using secpol.msc. I rename it for security, since most trojans/viruses try default username and password combinations such as Administrator/password.

-gosh

I didn't know that you could rename it never bothered really. :blush:

Have you read the posts in this tread! You can not delete the adminstrator account!!! XP will not allow this! The purpose of the admninstrator account is to assist in the recovery or solving problems with normal user accounts! Although you can disable it! Some programs needs the adminstrator account to install or work.

Uhm, I was able to delete the admin account, and still log in as Administrator! They're 2 different accounts, and I know this because I changed the password for the 'Administrator' account, and when the 'admin' one came up, I tried every password I've ever known I had and I couldn't even log in under it, so I logged in as 'Administrator' and deleted it.

Oh, I scanned for viruses and trojans, none of them are floating around on here :s

he has two accounts on the machine (well, there's more than two, but this is just for explanation purposes :p) Administrator and admin. they're different.

try deleting \documents and settings\admin after you delete the account. does it come back too?

install a firewall and make sure Terminal Services is disabled...it could be that a hacker made the account on your box using "Net" commands and logs in with Terminal Services...and keep an eye on your uploadspeeds (DUmeter or smth) when ur upload is high and u r not browsing go to cmd and type netstat to see what's goin on :p

As you said your computer is starting to act weird and that account keeps showing up even after it is deleted, the suspicion of you possibly may have been hacked comes into play.

Turn on XP's built in Firewall feature for very basic protection (I recommend purchasing ZoneAlarm it is MUCH better for protection), change your passwords, and disable Remote Desktop Sharing and Remote Assistance in the "Remote" tab by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Properties.

my mate installed upgraded to xp from 98 and he got an admin account because he had no accounts set up in 98. he still had an administrator account and created his own new one called duncan. for some reason all three appeared on the welcome screen.