[DD-WRT/PPTP] Router to Router VPN Assistance.

Hello,

It's me again with yet again something I can't get to work.

My friend and I have a DD-WRT router each both the same model (Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH).

We have followed this guide to the letter:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Point-to-Point_PPTP_Tunneling_with_two_DD-WRT

We have done everything precisely as specified including router names, password username etc. The only thing different is that we use Dyndns and have verified the IP address are indeed updating correctly.

There are no indications of what is going wrong as the router provides no feedback and for some reason my logs are empty.

The guide assumes my WAN is set up... I presume this just refers to an active internet connection. I'll get to work in a second and paste screenshots of my set up if this would help but I can assure everything is as in the guide.

Are their any suggestions on troubleshooting this particular issue?

I did try get the clientside to connect to the server via a windows PPTP connection and no luck indicating there must be some issue serverside (my side).

Many thanks,

Alex

Okay one step further. He's appearing in my connected PPTP clients on the router. However if I try to access 192.168.2.1 (to access his router homepage) nothing happens. I thought this would be the first step in testing a successful connection.

OK so you are trying to link 2 routers over WAN via PPTP gateway functions I gather. How about 1 of you setup a PPTP server connection and the other just try connecting via Windows PPTP and see if that works. It might be blocked by your ISPs also.

EDIT - saw the update now. Well if he's appearing then that's good, sounds like a firewalling issue then? Make sure VPN is allowed thru firewall. Both systems are set to gateways or mixed?

VPN passthrough is enabled. I'm unsure on the gateway thing?

What we're trying to achieve is a router to router VPN so that we can see each others networks as if we were connected to one.

i.e. my machines should shows up on 192.168.1.x and his 192.168.2.x

The ISP shouldnt be blocking anything as I've established and windows-windows VPN before with no issue, the trouble is it was only one way and didn't allow access to either client or servers entire network.

Well what happens if you try pinging that IP address?

It seems something is wrong in the routing table somewhere but i'm not that good with all that.

I bet the routing table is definitely the issue here. Both of you should have rules for each others networks.

Indeed we do, we added static routes as per the guide.

We didn't want to confuse ourselves so we even used the same IP address configurations as within the guide.

I'm the client in this setup problem,

Here are the rules that were added to the routing table.... They are exactly as the guide states. - Posting this incase anyone has a clue why its not working...

post-412302-0-66090100-1319829723.jpg