How to stop iPod from skipping tracks?

OK, I've been having this problem with a few tracks in my collection where if I try to play them on my iPod Classic, it just decides to completely skip them and move on to the next one, even though they play perfectly in iTunes.

I've tried Googling around for solutions; found one post that recommended using MP3val to "fix" the tracks, but the skipping tracks in question didn't come up with any problems (although it did come up with problems on a load of other tracks when I scanned my collection with it). I've even tried opening the songs up in GoldWave and saving completely new copies of them. This worked for me before the last time I had a problematic skipping track, but this time, I did this to five different tracks, and it only worked fixed the problem for two of them. :blink:

Anyone here know any other potential solutions?

Did you check, whether iTunes is set to "skip when shuffling"?

Glassed Silver:mac

Depending on where you got them, you could try re-downloading them, maybe delete from the iPod and from iTunes, then re-import the file and try again. Is it possible some weird DRM might be involved as well?

Did you check, whether iTunes is set to "skip this track on shuffle"?

Just did, and none of them are ticked to skip when shuffling. Sorry, I did forget to mention that I played the tracks on the iPod with shuffle turned off.

Depending on where you got them, you could try re-downloading them, maybe delete from the iPod and from iTunes, then re-import the file and try again. Is it possible some weird DRM might be involved as well?

God, I really forgot to mention a lot of things in my original post. :p

Yeah, I deleted the tracks, imported in the new versions, unticked them, synced the iPod so they'd be taken off, and then ticked them and resynced them.

Might be a damaged iPod library.

Sync and backup one last time for now, wipe the iPod and repack it with your goodies!

Helps often enough! (Y)

Ok, so you don't, still have to post it:

Shuffling.jpg

Might be a damaged iPod library.

Sync and backup one last time for now, wipe the iPod and repack it with your goodies!

Helps often enough! (Y)

Ok, so you don't, still have to post it:

Shuffling.jpg

Oh god damn it, I LOL'd. :p

• Like 1

Oh god damn it, I LOL'd. :p

Do you see that thumbs up on his chest, too? :D

I know it's an illusion, but damn it's a good one! :shiftyninja:

Oh and really try completely wiping your iPod, it helps often!

This might not be a track, but a library issue with your iPod! (Sounds a lot like it to me)

• Like 1

Oh and really try completely wiping your iPod, it helps often!

This might not be a track, but a library issue with your iPod! (Sounds a lot like it to me)

I'll try that out on Thursday when I won't be using my iPod. :p

OK, my iPod has been restored, with all tracks synced back on. Just tried to play one of the errant tracks, and...

...it still skips. :(

It's a "broken" header. Broken as its perfectly fine, but apple doesn't like it. I just use foobar's rewrite header or stream or whatever it's called function on them and I fix all the albums and tracks I'm transferring to an idevice I one go just takes a few minutes to do a whole bunch.

This used to happen on my iPhone, but not on my iPod.

The remedy was to select the song from a different list. Like 'Songs' instead of 'Artists'. Weird issue.

Ah well.

It's a "broken" header. Broken as its perfectly fine, but apple doesn't like it. I just use foobar's rewrite header or stream or whatever it's called function on them and I fix all the albums and tracks I'm transferring to an idevice I one go just takes a few minutes to do a whole bunch.

Just installed foobar2000 and tried the "Fix VBR MP3 header" utility like you suggested (plus the "Rebuild MP3 stream" utility for good measure) on just one troublesome song, unsynced the track, resynced it back, attempted to play it, and it still skips. :(

It's getting bloody ridiculous now. I'm probably gonna end up finding a FLAC version of the song, converting it down to MP3 and replacing the version I've currently got. That has surely got to fix it.

Phew, finally sorted it out! Found a FLAC version of the song, converted it down to MP3, replaced the old file, synced it on, and it finally plays on my iPod (without pausing it, skipping a few seconds in, and then playing it). :)

Bit annoying that I'm probably gonna have to do this with every one of these tracks I come across on my iPod. Thankfully, there's only two others I've come across at the moment, and hopefully they'll be the only ones in my collection.