Wales manager Gary Speed 42, confirmed dead

_56965508_013328303-1.jpg

Wales football manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42.

His death was confirmed in a statement by the Football Association of Wales.

The statement said: "We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family. We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

Speed took over the Wales job in December 2010, and earlier this month, said the side's rapid improvement had exceeded all expectations.

A 4-1 friendly win over Norway represented a third successive win for Wales, and Speed's fifth in 10 games as manager.

At the time, he said: "We've progressed further than I'd have thought in this space of time but we've still got a lot of work to do."

Speed won 85 caps for his country during a 14-year international career.

He was given the top job in Welsh football despite only having four months managerial experience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-15909277

There will be some jokes on sickipedia, but damn 42 is too young. Supposedly suicide. :cry:

Michael Owen tweets:

He has died aged 42. So sad. He lived local to me and we knew his family. He leaves behind 2 sons. Tragic.

Just cannot believe the news regarding Gary Speed. We waved at each other a couple of days ago dropping our kids off at school. I'm numb.

I can't believe it either. What an age to go and at the brginning of what looked to have been a excellent managerial career ....