Microsoft enables Android and iOS users to experience WP 7... via the web

Engadget

Windows Phone

android-wp7-demo.jpg

Still tempted by the fruit of another? If you're looking Microsoft's way, but aren't quite ready to toss your adoration for iOS or Android aside, the coders in Redmond are giving you an alternative to quitting cold turkey. By visiting http://aka.ms/wpdemo on one's iOS or Android browser, you'll be immediately tunneled into a emulation of Windows Phone 7. We gave it a test run here at Engadget HQ, and it seems that every tile and swipe save for Apps runs properly. Can't say the fonts and such looked as smooth on our Galaxy S II as they do on the Radar, but it's a solid effort that'll definitely serve you well if you're considering the switch. Just don't try to flip the demo horizontally -- that's clearly a no-no.

Microsoft should work with OEM's to create a trade in program! Trade in your non Windows 7.x phone and get any Windows phone of your liking for 99 dollars with no need to extend your contract.

Its backwards, it works in landscape mode, but trying to rotate to portrait it says it should be kept in portrait and to turn it back around !

WP7 UI works only in portrait. (no different than iPhone or Android).

Edit: Oh I see what you mean. It works fine in portrait for me (iPhone 4).

WP7 UI works only in portrait. (no different than iPhone or Android)

I know, it tells me to rotate the device when I hold it in portrait (ie. It does not work in portrait) - but when I hold it in landscape orientation, it works - only its tiny because its in landscape mode

P20111129214107.png

P20111129214218.png

Doesn't work in WP7's IE9. :rofl:

I tried it on my iPod. It's kinda choppy and sometimes wouldn't scroll.

It's pretty cool though.

11751889.jpg

Glassed Silver:mac

Um what?

I dont know about iOS but Android works perfectly in landscape mode. As a matter of fact, I spend most of the time in landscape mode so I would know.

Check your facts.

Um what?

I dont know about iOS but Android works perfectly in landscape mode. As a matter of fact, I spend most of the time in landscape mode so I would know.

Check your facts.

Depends on your home screen launcher. I know HTC Sense (at least 1.0) doesn't utilize the accelerometer to do landscape mode. 3rd party launchers like Launcher Pro, ADW Launcher, etc may have option to use the accelerometer or you can force it to a certain mode. Landscape mode doesn't make sense to me, on phones.

I really feel like trying this just to have fun with it. However, I don't have one of those new smartphones with a sophisticated web browser. Is there some way I can see it on my desktop? Maybe changing my user agent string.

I really feel like trying this just to have fun with it. However, I don't have one of those new smartphones with a sophisticated web browser. Is there some way I can see it on my desktop? Maybe changing my user agent string.

Try some HTML5 capable browsers.

Fake the user agent if needed.

Safari might be a good bet, as it's darn close to Safari on iOS. (Y)

Activate the developer menu, change user agent string from there (it's really easy: dev menu > user agent > pick a string) and off you go!

Glassed Silver:mac

I just realised I was using Dolphin in Desktop mode on my tablet screenshots earlier - I`ll try in mobile mode

EDIT - Exactly the same problem, rotation is backwards

Asus Transformer running Honeycomb 3.2.1

Pretty damn cool, just checked it out from my iPhone 4, and worked flawless.

I actually love the whole UI myself. (Y)

Um what? I dont know about iOS but Android works perfectly in landscape mode. As a matter of fact, I spend most of the time in landscape mode so I would know. Check your facts.

I've never seen Android UI (main screen) running in portrait. Sure there may be some customizations or apps to do that but never seen it run OOTB on any phone. My experience with Android is limited. (Played a bit with HTC Aria mainly)

Edit: Oh I see what you mean. It works fine in portrait for me (iPhone 4).

You can use Android in landscape mode too.. only WP7 and iOS need to be used in portrait on a phone.

Is there some way I can see it on my desktop? Maybe changing my user agent string.

Try using Google Chrome (v15 works fine), it doesn't seem to work on firefox (even the nightly), and ofc it won't work with IE

33305472134.jpg