Ubuntu 12.04 thread -- Beta 2 released!

Man Ubuntu it getting better and better

Seriously? Are you kidding? That Unity UI is horrible dude. Confusing, hard to navigate and find things, an annoying sidebar that can't be removed or moved anywhere else.

I would say Ubuntu is getting worse and worse. Ubuntu needs to re-focus on their UI and listen more to their users. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu, I just don't like this new UI they are using and that is why I am using Linux Mint now, until they fix and correct the UI abominations.

Linux Mint is the way to go right now.

Unity's coming into place, took a while, but I say it's getting there. There are still some obviously "weird" design choices, to put it lightly, but they are in fact working on making it very customizable and rethinking some of the UI decisions (example: there might be an option in the system settings to remove the global menu -- still a rumor, though).

I gave Unity and Gnome-Shell both a fair chance.. and both ended up being frustrating to use.

Xubuntu is what Ubuntu is *supposed* to be. I'll be sticking to that.

This is what I'm referring to. This here is a screenshot of Kubuntu. Look at the launch bar. That is where Ubuntu 11.10's launch bar should be at, not planted on the left side of the screen permanently like it is right now.

Ubuntu needs to give the user the option to either hide it or remove it permanently or let the user move it where they see fit. Forcing that side bar on the left side like that and making the user see it there all the time without being able to move it anywhere or customize it is disrespectful.

2dj44sy.jpg

@ Scorbing: That's Xubuntu, bud. :shiftyninja: Kubuntu is the KDE 4 flavor -- and it's a bit obnoxious imho, but not like Unity and Gnome-Shell are. At least you can tweak KDE to be non-obnoxious.

XFCE in "Openbox Mode" (no desktop icons), with a patched Compiz (I'll direct those interested to this Launchpad post ), a recompiled, patched and fixed Emerald (those interested check this Ubuntu Forums thread ) and Avant-Window-Navigator (fixes pending, from what I read). It's all I need it to be and more. :rofl: :woot:

XFCE in "Openbox Mode" (no desktop icons), with a patched Compiz (I'll direct those interested to this Launchpad post ), a recompiled, patched and fixed Emerald (those interested check this Ubuntu Forums thread ) and Avant-Window-Navigator (fixes pending, from what I read). It's all I need it to be and more.

XFCE with Openbox? That seems redundant. Might as well just run LXDE.

@ Scorbing: That's Xubuntu, bud. :shiftyninja: Kubuntu is the KDE 4 flavor -- and it's a bit obnoxious imho, but not like Unity and Gnome-Shell are. At least you can tweak KDE to be non-obnoxious.

XFCE in "Openbox Mode" (no desktop icons), with a patched Compiz (I'll direct those interested to this Launchpad post ), a recompiled, patched and fixed Emerald (those interested check this Ubuntu Forums thread ) and Avant-Window-Navigator (fixes pending, from what I read). It's all I need it to be and more. :rofl: :woot:

I am also running XFCE with compiz + emerald + awn, but on arch. Its pretty nice.

@ Kreuger: It's (lovingly) referred to as "Openbox Mode" due to 1) no Desktop icons, and 2) the XFCE Applications Menu showing up when one right-clicks the Desktop -- same behavior as Openbox, anyway. It's nice and fast, too.

@ ViperAFK: I hear it runs even better on Arch than on a 'buntu base. True?

I tried a few of these "install everything for you so you don't have to know squat about linux" distros and i gotta say i don't see what the big hype is unless that is the type of distro your aiming for. Definitely glad i didn't remove my gentoo partitions.

Some good changes. I actually think unity is shaping up nicely, but unfortunately I don't know if I can ever go back to ubuntu unless they fix these obnoxious bugs:

https://bugs.launchp...ity/+bug/754000

https://bugs.launchp...ics/+bug/873482

1st one is just very poorly thought out behavior in unity, it uses 3 finger tap for a function that is only useful for a touchscreen devices, with no way to disable or change it.

2nd, even if you don't use unity their custom patches to the synaptics driver stops 3 finger taps from even being recognized correctly in the first place!

They seem too content with throwing touchpad users under the bus to have touchscreen functionality. Both should work, and I wager there is far more people using ubuntu on laptops than on touchscreens right now.

Never have any issues with touchpad taps in any other distro. This is what made me switch from 11.04 in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a fairly old Sony Vaio P netbook. Do you think Ubuntu 12.04 would run well on it? I'm thinking of giving it a try.

I'm running 12.04 on VMware Fusion right now and find it's a bit sluggish, although that's to be expected, given the virtual setup.

Also why use unified menu and window buttons on the left?

Coming from Mac OS X, I much like the global menu bar, it saves space and it always context sensitive to the currently active application. Thus, I like it in Ubuntu and hope it stays, although I suppose an option to have per-application menu bars (like in Windows), would be nice, too.

Anyway, I'm running 11.10 on my ThinkPad, and was considering upgrading to w/e the latest build of 12.04 is. But I haven't done an Ubuntu upgrade in a long time, and I've kind of forgotten:

1. What is the exact command to do a distro upgrade again? Is it apt-get install upgrade?
  2. Once I get upgraded to the latest 12.04 build, I can use the same process to upgrade to final builds, including the RTM, right?

I'm not too worried about running a stable release, since I mainly use Linux for hobbyist purposes, anyway.

Coming from Mac OS X, I much like the global menu bar, it saves space and it always context sensitive to the currently active application. Thus, I like it in Ubuntu and hope it stays, although I suppose an option to have per-application menu bars (like in Windows), would be nice, too.

Anyway, I'm running 11.10 on my ThinkPad, and was considering upgrading to w/e the latest build of 12.04 is. But I haven't done an Ubuntu upgrade in a long time, and I've kind of forgotten:

1. What is the exact command to do a distro upgrade again? Is it apt-get install upgrade?
  2. Once I get upgraded to the latest 12.04 build, I can use the same process to upgrade to final builds, including the RTM, right?

I'm not too worried about running a stable release, since I mainly use Linux for hobbyist purposes, anyway.

1. "sudo do-release-upgrade -d" OR just hit ALT+F2 and run "update-manager -d"

2. You won't have to use the same process, once you swich to Precise, you stay on Precise, you'll just update your system normally (more updates will be rolled out than usual since it's in development), and at one point you'll reach the stable level (whenever they announce it as stable).

1 - apt-get install dist-upgrade

2 - yes.

Thanks, ran that command and now am on the latest 12.04 build. Also added the Unity PPA to test out Unity 5. Seems most of the new features are limited to the 3D Compiz build, though, as I'm on the 2D Desktop and don't have the option to set a color or resize the icons.

This is why we can't have nice things. Yes, the user is an idiot. But this is just wrong.

Why the f*** do you care? It's not like you'll even use it, Jesus Christ. And it looks similar to the system on AskUbuntu, so I really can't see anything wrong with that if it gives the incentive for some people to contribute.

EDIT:

Also, I haven't seen anything that implicates this will be included in the OS, so what's the point of posting it here?

Why the f*** do you care? It's not like you'll even use it, Jesus Christ. And it looks similar to the system on AskUbuntu, so I really can't see anything wrong with that if it gives the incentive for some people to contribute.

EDIT:

Also, I haven't seen anything that implicates this will be included in the OS, so what's the point of posting it here?

If anything, it will make filing bug reports a little more fun interactive.