Kiwi Cook, New Zealand cooking show

Golferjim

Hello!

Just making a post here,

I dont know where else it would be best fit. However about 3 weeks ago me and my friend started making an online cooking show,

Its pretty basic however there is some really good tips and tricks with cooking various different meals.

Below is a link to my Youtube channel where you can find all the eps,

Currently were on 5 and looking to make atleast two a week at this stage.

Feel free to leave your thoughts and impressions of the footage,

It would be really cool to have some Neowin feed back :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xkPQG9-C20&context=C2a646ADOEgsToPDskJyeLKJuma74vAJnWZHPxzS

FMH

Hey, not bad at all. Looks very professional. Looks like something from BBC Food!

And you have a great accent too!

A few suggestions, if you like:

- put annotations which mention the ingredients and process, or you could put some graphics too.

- Why is your channel called Orphan Tale? I think that 'Kiwi Cook' is a much better name and I checked that it's available.

Good luck with Kiwi Cook! :)

Golferjim

Hey,

Thanks for the reply FMH.

Some really good food back! The reason for the channel name being so out of wack, is that I made the account in 2009.

And at the time of uploading I thought it dosent matter for now if we just put all the Teaser videos up on there until we launch the proper thing then we will make a new profile.

jakem1

To be honest, it's too hard to follow what you're doing. I know cooking shows these days often have more style than substance but I think you lean too heavily towards the former. The constant focussing and the tight camera shots make it impossible to follow the instructions and at times I couldn't hear what you were saying. I had to stop watching after about a minute because there were too many distractions.

If you watch the kind of food programs you're trying to emulate you'll notice that the fancy camera work is used sparingly as a filler between longer instructional shots. For instance, the camera work will be simple as you prepare the pastry, you'll then cut away to some fancy lifestyle shots as a filler and then return to straight forward filming while you move on to the next stage of the cooking.

Golferjim

Hey,

Thanks for that man...

A really good bit of critisim.

I know what you mean though I have noticed the movement and tight shots are quite erract at times and hard to follow. I guess Im still trying to find my own style which has both creative elements and ones which allow the veiwer to clearly follow whats happening.

I appriciate that a lot. Would you recommend anything more specific in terms of camera movement etc? Just slower, less cut away and longer takes maybe?

And in terms of audio Im just using the in built mic on my camera (Canon 60D). Im looking to invest in a better mic once I get paid :)

• 1 month later...
Golferjim

Hello all!

After taking a small break and looking over Kiwi Cook as a whole we have started filming again!

On our new channel NzKiwiCook, you can start to find all our new videos.

Our first dish of 2012 Spicy Venison Ragout.

Enjoy :)

The_Observer

nice to see some local boys showing off our kiwi style of cooking.

Golferjim

Hello everyone!

Valentine's Day is creeping up fast and here at Kiwi Cook we have decided to do a special Valentine's Day dish which is quick, simple and easy bound to impress the ladyfriend or the boyfriend.

Golferjim

Tip of the day brought to you by your favorite Kiwi Cook

Golferjim

Hello!

And welcome to Kiwi Cook, an internet based cooking show bring you the finest in home cooking. Today were cooking Apple and Rhubarb Almond Crumble, quick easy and simple!

Now before you say "its summer" and "its hot, why would we want to eat a crumble" well ill tell you what theres nothing better than a fresh Apple crumble with a bit of cool ice cream whilst sitting in front of the telly after a hard days work.

Enjoy!

Golferjim

Hello!

And yes another episode has come out! This one is extra long and so we have split it into two videos. The dish of choice... Snapper, cooked two different ways, both very unquie and different to one another!

Be sure to check out part 1 as part 2 is coming soon!

Part 1: Is a Spicy Fennel and CapsicumSteamed Snapper

Part 2: Is a Mediterranean Baked Snapper

Both very simple and easy to cook!

Enjoy.

Golferjim

Hello all!

New Kiwi Cook out, today were cooking up Vanilla Bean French Toast hope you enjoy!

Golferjim

Hey guys, another dish from Kiwi Cook!

Todays ep is about a Fresh Breakfast Smoothie.

Anyone can do it!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By boydo
      KitchenAid SmartOven+ boasts digital assistant and smartphone app integrations
      by Boyd Chan

Back in January at CES, KitchenAid unveiled its forthcoming Smart Oven+ connected oven with powered attachment compatibility which would include grill, steamer, and baking stone accessories. These attachments are designed to connect to a powered hub at the rear of the oven with the ability to swap them in and out as required.

Now, the Smart Oven+ is available for purchase in single and double variants, with a combination oven on the way later in 2019. Featuring a full-color, glass-touch 4.5-inch LCD display, Yummly app compatibility, and voice command capability via Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, users will also be able to keep tabs on their culinary creations and adjust controls via the KitchenAid app in addition to alerts and notifications.

With respect to the development of the Smart Oven+, Christy Hoskins, senior brand manager for KitchenAid said at CES that:

If you're interested in the KitchenAid Smart Oven+ the single and double ovens can be purchased for $3,199 and $4,799 respectively. The powered grill attachment will also come included with these units while the other accessories in the range are available as optional extras.

Via: Engadget

• By +Eternal Tempest
      I'm needing to learn how to cook, anyone recommend some beginners cookbooks?
      I've found / researched the "Joy Of Cooking", and know to get the 1975 or 2006 versions and avoid the 1997 edition. 
      What are some other essential books for a beginers?

Also looking in to crock pots related information. 
    • By b10h4z4rd
      As there seems to be some interest in this thread, this will be the official Cooking and Recipe thread for 2013. Please feel free to post any recipes you may have or cooking creations that you want to share with the rest of Neowin.
      Please be mindful of our members on dial-up and try to keep the dimensions of the pics and the size of the files to a respectable size for 1024 x 768 viewers. Please refrain from quoting images in your replies.
      Enjoy!
      Additional Note: If you're going to post a recipe from another site, please reference it accordingly. This thread was created for members who wish to share recipes they've created themselves, so if you find a good one elsewhere please link to it.
    • By Hum
      "They are consistent," says David Myers, chef/owner of Comme Ca in Los Angeles and Las Vegas. "I can't imagine how many millions of dollars in research and development they have spent in order to achieve a perfect fry around the world." Myers is no stranger to fried potatoes. His restaurants, which serve classic French brasserie fare, cook hundreds of orders of "pommes frites" (French-fried potatoes) a week.
      McDonald's French fries are shipped to outlets frozen. "We do all of ours fresh everyday," says Myers who uses the same recipe at his restaurants and at home. Myers also uses the best Idaho russet potatoes, French sea salt, and super fresh cooking oil.
      He says the key to making a perfect, consistent, McDonald's-style fry is in the advance preparation. The cut potatoes need to be soaked for at least two hours before cooking which pulls out excess starch and ensures the crispiest product. Also, Myers recommends that, "you have plenty of paper towels, a lined sheet pan, and have your oil ready to go."
      The beauty of Myers' two-step cooking method is that you can cook your fries ahead of a dinner party and keep them in the fridge until you are ready to finish in hot oil just before serving. This way you get the most delicious, sizzling, salty, golden-brown fries every time.
      Perfect French Fries (adapted from David Myers's recipe for "pommes frites")
      Ingredients:
      6 Idaho russet potatoes
      Peanut oil
      Sea salt (Myers prefers Sel Gris, a fine light grey French salt)
      Method:
      Peel and square off potato ends. Cut into 3/8" batons. Soak for two hours changing water after an hour. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. Heat about an inch of oil (or enough to cover potatoes) in a large, heavy bottomed pot to 290 degrees. Blanch potatoes gently for about two minutes until cooked through but still completely pale. Place on a paper-towel lined sheet pan and cool in the refrigerator to stop cooking process.
      Re-heat oil to 370 degrees. Cook fries until golden and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes. If necessary, agitate gently with a spatula to prevent sticking. Remove from pan and toss with salt to taste (Myers doesn't blot but you can if you want less fat). Serve immediately. Recipe serves 4 to 6.
      more
    • By Hum
      PORTLAND, OR (AP) ? Portland police say more than a dozen rabbits reported stolen the night before a rabbit-cooking class have been returned by bunny advocates who had been caring for them.
      Members of the volunteer group Rabbit Advocates say they're trying to buy the bunnies so they can live as pets.
      Police say 18 rabbits belonging to farmer Levi Cole disappeared on Jan. 7. Cole says the theft occurred the night before he taught a class on raising, slaughtering and cooking rabbits.
      Cole is an instructor for the Portland Meat Collective. He believes the theft was politically motivated. Police have no suspects.
      Rabbit Advocates board member Erin Ford says the bunnies were dumped anonymously at the home of a volunteer.
      Police Lt. Robert King said 17 rabbits were picked up Friday from the advocates' lawyer's office. King says police are still looking for one small, gray rabbit named Roger. Ford says she believes he's still in foster care.
      source