Is it possible to take a official IQ test somewhere?

If you want to take an official test, you'll want to do it in the real world, not online.

For what it's worth though, you don't want to bother with an IQ test. I'm pretty sure no one takes the tests seriously, with the exception of the elitists like Mensa. Intelligence can't be given a number, and it's too broad an area to be put in to a test.

I don't think it's possible to get an actual IQ test online, and IQ is a very subjective thing like Intrinsica said.

You could take one of the personality tests though since there are plenty using the Briggs-Myer system, but that doesn't reflect IQ. It reflects your personality type, and I suppose that's maybe the closest thing you can get online. Even then the longest one I could find, which was 72 questions wouldn't guarantee you fit with any of the personalities entirely.

This one comes pretty close - but still not an official one! But it's definitely fun! :D

http://www.iqtest.com/

Heh, I went through that one clicking random options in about five minutes, but to actually see a detailed analysis of your results you have to pay, unfortunately. You can get the IQ score if you use EmailSensei or one of the other spam addresses, but you can't get the analysis without paying $10. I don't even want to take an IQ test seriously, but that was cool to see something fairly decent appears online. :p

AN official IQ test... An...

Tis is n tt skkul. go 2 claz if u wnt t corrrext me11

Seriously, stop. It is annoying and I don't care if I spell it wrong and I care even less if you post a post about me spelling it wrong. I will just do it to "tik u of" :)

On topic: Thanks to everyone. I imagine there isnt a "official" one and that most IQ tests are pointless and, moreso, each use a difference score system. It was just out of curiousity. Ill try that http://www.iqtest.com/ one. Paul Ferson you commented there was a personality test as well. Post it :) Might be intresting too.

Paul Ferson you commented there was a personality test as well. Post it :) Might be interesting too.

Here it is. There are sixteen different personality types, so feel free to read up on them once you get your result from the test.

WOW that page is hard lol....

Haha, the formatting isn't the greatest but it's very interesting to try the test. I've done it three times in the past 18 months or so just to see if my results change and I've always got the same personality according to it. Mine is INTJ, if you're bothered.

Finished but wow lol.....Do I get it in my email or do I have to pay?

Will try your now Paul

The IQ test will go to your email address but when it offers you the complete analysis or whatever they'll charge you for it so close the tab instead.

Your Type is

ENFP

Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving Strength of the preferences % 44 12 25

Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

• moderately expressed extravert
  • slightly expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • moderately expressed perceiving personality

Dear Name,

Thank you for your interest in the test at IQTest.com.

Your general IQ score is: 107

You may login at http://www.iqtest.com/login.html at any time to view your score, purchase your Complete Personal Intelligence Profile or The Consciousness Exercises, or edit your account settings:

Regards,

The Team at IQTest.com

you can only get "official" tests done with someone actually trained to administer it, usually a psychologist.

For what it's worth though, you don't want to bother with an IQ test. I'm pretty sure no one takes the tests seriously, with the exception of the elitists like Mensa. Intelligence can't be given a number, and it's too broad an area to be put in to a test.

hah. every time someone mentions iq tests there's always the obligatory "don't bother it's useless anyways". it's repeated so often without any discussion of why exactly this is so, it almost sounds like an excuse people use to make themselves feel better.

there are many concerns about iq tests, of course, just like there are critiques of anything in science, by science. there is a huge amount of literature questioning whether iq tests really do measure what we consider to be "intelligence" very accurately, or whether it measures all of "intelligence" or only a subset of very specific skills that western society have come to value above other forms of intelligence. and of course specific issues with specific tests. however, to dismiss them as completely useless is to ignore that it correlates very well (or at least far beyond chance) to so many other things that there's at least something interesting going on there that we should be examining (and people do study these things). there's also something to be said for the fact that it is standardized, which can't be said of the vast majority of tests administered. we might not know exactly why or even if it's directly related to what people generally associate iq with, the relationship is certainly nowhere near as strong as the general perception, but there's enough of a correlation that it could be interesting to take a test provided that you're aware of what exactly it means and doesn't mean.

This one comes pretty close - but still not an official one! But it's definitely fun! :D

http://www.iqtest.com/

took a look, that is nowhere close to the common tests. i doubt a wall of true/false questions will be anywhere near accurate.

My Result: 130

Guess I am average.

130 on one of the common tests would put you at about 2std above average. aka top 2%

On topic: Thanks to everyone. I imagine there isnt a "official" one and that most IQ tests are pointless and, moreso, each use a difference score system. It was just out of curiousity.

the scoring system doesn't matter, it's all arbitrary. for standardized tests (proper ones) what matters is the percentile, which you can compare across tests.

If you want to do a real one, get a psychologist. I could do one for free at school last year because I failed my exams quite unexpectedly. If you just want one done it could be quite expensive. Privacy shouldn't be an issue as you should always get an IQ test done by someone you don't know.

I have never come across any scientific literature that said a standardized IQ tests quantified a person's all encompassing intelligence. Rather, it quantifies somelevel of cognitive ability, and is a good predictor of academic success.

Agreed with everything Primexx said. You're not going to find one online because a psychologist needs to administer the test. There are portions of the test that require verbal interaction with the administrator. IIRC, it's going to be in the $500-$800 range CDN, depending on the firm I suppose.

Personality tests, like the Myers-Briggs tests are a joke, no better than astrology. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

I have never come across any scientific literature that said a standardized IQ tests quantified a person's all encompassing intelligence. Rather, it quantifies somelevel of cognitive ability, and is a good predictor of academic success.

Agreed with everything Primexx said. You're not going to find one online because a psychologist needs to administer the test. There are portions of the test that require verbal interaction with the administrator. IIRC, it's going to be in the $500-$800 range CDN, depending on the firm I suppose.

Personality tests, like the Myers-Briggs tests are a joke, no better than astrology. See http://en.wikipedia....ki/Forer_effect

holy crap didn't realize it's so expensive =o