Physynth

Evenin' all,

I had the wonderful opportunity to test the soon-to-be-released Physynth for iPad.

I'll give you a little bit of background on me, I dabble with music but testing this app

was really something outside of my comfort zone, it's completely different to any sort

of musical instrument because its actually a real physics simulator that drives and triggers

the sounds.

teaser-01.jpg

Physynth is very much an experience more than anything, it's got this vintage feel, one of the

developers describe it as 'that feeling you get when you find an old bit of kit in your dad's

garage as a kid, its from the 70's and its awesome!'. It's actually got quite a bit of depth to it

you'll start off just playing the keyboard in 'Melody Mode' but after a while you end up making

little contraptions and machines that loop sounds or blend them.

teaser-02.jpg

Overall its something I actually tinker with, what really makes me get it out time and time again is

that it looks so damn lovely, I am a gamer at heart and graphics make me very pleased as I am

sure a fair few of you feel also. Why can't more apps be beautiful like this, I am not saying

everything has to look like real world kit (it's lovely here) but some polish on user interfaces will

go a real long way. The way it tilts as you move it, really makes it feel almost like a 3DS screen,

you have to see it to believe it.

teaser-03.jpg

The app is released on the 15th of December, in four days. I am excited to see this get to release

as it has actually been a pleasure working with the guys at Simian Squared.

I don't really have time to take my own screen shots so I have used theirs, here is the rest of their promotional material:

trailer:

a video of it being played:

sneak peak at the hand illustrated manual:

Looks extremely promising! It'd be good to try it out when it's released.

Definitely has the looks to be a great app but we'll have to see how it works!

How useful would you say this app would be when comparing a novice user to someone who has more experience with apps like this/synths? Would it be simple for someone to pick this up and make something even if they've had little experience?