Physynth

Shetland

Evenin' all,

I had the wonderful opportunity to test the soon-to-be-released Physynth for iPad.

I'll give you a little bit of background on me, I dabble with music but testing this app

was really something outside of my comfort zone, it's completely different to any sort

of musical instrument because its actually a real physics simulator that drives and triggers

the sounds.

teaser-01.jpg

Physynth is very much an experience more than anything, it's got this vintage feel, one of the

developers describe it as 'that feeling you get when you find an old bit of kit in your dad's

garage as a kid, its from the 70's and its awesome!'. It's actually got quite a bit of depth to it

you'll start off just playing the keyboard in 'Melody Mode' but after a while you end up making

little contraptions and machines that loop sounds or blend them.

teaser-02.jpg

Overall its something I actually tinker with, what really makes me get it out time and time again is

that it looks so damn lovely, I am a gamer at heart and graphics make me very pleased as I am

sure a fair few of you feel also. Why can't more apps be beautiful like this, I am not saying

everything has to look like real world kit (it's lovely here) but some polish on user interfaces will

go a real long way. The way it tilts as you move it, really makes it feel almost like a 3DS screen,

you have to see it to believe it.

teaser-03.jpg

The app is released on the 15th of December, in four days. I am excited to see this get to release

as it has actually been a pleasure working with the guys at Simian Squared.

I don't really have time to take my own screen shots so I have used theirs, here is the rest of their promotional material:

trailer:

a video of it being played:

sneak peak at the hand illustrated manual:

PaulCabby

Looks extremely promising! It'd be good to try it out when it's released.

Definitely has the looks to be a great app but we'll have to see how it works!

How useful would you say this app would be when comparing a novice user to someone who has more experience with apps like this/synths? Would it be simple for someone to pick this up and make something even if they've had little experience?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.2.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To see a comparison of popular media servers, click here.

Universal Media Server 10.2.0 changelog:

General

Added option to skip the first-run wizard (thanks, Ahmed Adan!) Improved speed of API lookups by up to 3x Improved support for MusicBrainz (thanks, ik666!) Fixed support for some languages, e.g. Arabic Fixed and secured some URLs in the code and docs Translation updates via Crowdin

Arabic (100%) (thanks, خليل مراطلة !) Catalan (100%) (thanks, nikodeimos!) French (100%) (thanks, Archaos!) Hungarian (100%) (thanks, Viktor Kozma!) Slovak (99%) (thanks, Dušan!) Swedish (100%) (thanks, Erik Karlsson!) Dependency updates

Bump CheckStyle to 8.40 Renderers

Added support for MediaPlayer by PeteManchester Added support for nextCP/2 Fix auto loading for Sony UBP-X800 Download: Universal Media Server 10.2.0 | 160.0 MB (Open Source)
      Download: Other operating systems
      View: Universal Media Server Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By anmol112
      Microsoft Remote Desktop app for iOS updates the connection bar and more
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Microsoft has released a new update for its Remote Desktop app for iOS users. The new update brings changes to the connection bar as well as adds a new gesture to manage the zoom level. The update also addresses issues related to the connection bar as well as some accessibility bugs.

Here is the full changelog of the update:

Microsoft has been constantly improving the Remote Desktop app. Back in October, Microsoft added shortcuts to access the "Add Workspace" and "Add PC" UI. The company also added the CMD+F shortcut to invoke the Search UI in the Connection Center.

Since then, Microsoft has released a couple of updates that patched several issues including the ones related to the system Display Zoom View setting. If you are encountering any major issues then you can navigate to Help > Report an issue to reach out to Microsoft.

The new update bumps the Microsoft Remote Desktop app to version 10.2.4 and is available for download from the App Store.

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.1.0
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server is a DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. UMS was started by SubJunk, an official developer of PMS, in order to ensure greater stability and file-compatibility. The program streams or transcodes many different media formats with little or no configuration. It is powered by MEncoder, FFmpeg, tsMuxeR, AviSynth, MediaInfo and more, which combine to offer support for a wide range of media formats. Because it is written in Java, Universal Media Server supports all major operating systems, with versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

Universal Media Server 10.1.0 changelog:

General

Added lastPlaybackPosition, lastPlaybackDate, and playbackCount to UPnP responses Added bitsPerSample to UPnP responses (thanks, sf666!) Fixed VLC transcoding bugs Fixed SkipExtensions setting not supporting spaces (thanks, ik666!) Fixed tsMuxeR on 64-bit Linux and macOS systems Fixed MPlayer/MEncoder on macOS 10.15+ Translation updates via Crowdin

Arabic (100%) (thanks,خليل مراطلة (meratkha)!) Catalan (93%) (thanks, nikodeimos!) Dutch (100%) (thanks, DJ_eMPe!) Korean (99%) (thanks, VenusGirl!) Serbian (Cyrillic) (100%) (thanks, Slobodan Simić (Слободан Симић) (slsimic)!) Dependency updates

Bump junit5.version from 5.7.0 to 5.7.1 Bump maven-checkstyle-plugin from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 Bump MPlayer/MEncoder for macOS to SB67 Download: Universal Media Server 10.0.1 | 160.0 MB (Open Source)

• By Copernic
      Universal Media Server 10.0.1
      by Razvan Serea

Universal Media Server 10.0.1 changelog:

General

Added some UPnP properties for TV episodes Added renderer config option SendDLNAOrgFlags Reduced network traffic Fixed error when parsing episode filenames without series titles Fixed not recognizing TV episodes past episode 99 Fixed finding metadata for some TV episodes, especially anime Fixed not showing some metadata for movies and episodes on the web interface Renderers

Improved detection of LG OLED TVs Improved support for Panasonic HZ1500 Improved support for Roku Ultra devices Improved support for Sony Bravia XH Series TVs (thanks, SimpleUser!) Translation updates via Crowdin

Arabic (57%) (thanks, meratkha!) German (100%) (thanks, pipin!) Korean (99%) (thanks, VenusGirl!) Norwegian (88%) (thanks, lexmerlin!) Romanian (100%) (thanks, FlorinT!) Dependency updates

Bump assertj-core from 3.18.1 to 3.19.0 Bump JRE from 15.0.1 to 15.0.2 Bump oshi-core from 5.3.7 to 5.4.1 Bump twelvemonkeys-imageio-version from 3.6.1 to 3.6.2 Download: Universal Media Server 10.0.1 | 160.0 MB (Open Source)

• By Steven P.
      Amazon Deal of the Day: Save £67 off a refurbished iPad 9.7 32GB
      by Steven Parker

Image via CNet With today's Amazon's Deal of the Day in the U.K., you can score a refurbished Apple iPad 9.7 (2017) at 21% off, bringing the normal £317 list price down to just £249.95, that's a savings of £67.05.

Here are some of the highlights of this tablet:

iPad 5th generation IPS Retina multi-touch display 9.7-inch (2048 x 1536px @ 264 ppi) A9 chip with 64-bit architecture Embedded M9 coprocessor 32GB storage, 8GB RAM 1.2-megapixel (front) and 8-megapixel rear cameras Weight: 1.24 kg Connectivity: Wi-fi Be advised that it is only available in Space Grey and is eligible for free shipping without Prime.

You might be asking yourself what guarantees you have with a refurbished device, well Amazon states that the product "works and looks like new" and furthermore is backed by the 1-year Amazon Renewed Guarantee with the following declarations.

At the time of writing, this deal is scheduled to end in 12 hours and does not appear to be limited in stock quantity.

Get the Apple iPad 9.7 32GB (2017) Refurb for £249.95 (list price £317 / 21% off) at Amazon.

If refurbished Apple iPads are not your thing, then you could save up to 48% (£19) off SoundPEATS wireless earbuds instead, that is their top savings on offer in amongst another eight devices which include a smartwatch and wired earbuds at between 30% and 42% off.

Of course, there's also a bunch of other items in today's deals that aren't tech related that you can check out here. Most of the offers end today and some are limited in stock as well.

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.