Windows Home server 2011 driver quesetions

Question

7 answers to this question

Considering a WHS role, you should keep it to a bare minimum. Only the absolute essentials. Can I ask why you've installed it on a laptop?

Had an old but not that old toshiba laptop gathering dust so thought i'd try it out. can i ask why that comes as a surpise?

Laptop not really a well suited WHS box, for starters it has what 1 drive slot. Then maybe a couple USB ports, etc. And then most of the drives in laptops, especially older ones are the 2.5 drives are normally slower than 3.5 counterparts, 4200, 5400 rpm vs the 7200 and 10k rpm models you see in desktops, etc.

A well suited WHS box would allow for lots of drives to be installed, you would think at least 4.. Then usb and estata etc.. for even more.

What exactly do you want to get out of it?? Sure can not be a great solution for a FILE Server of any sort -- but sure you can use it if you want.. Just would not be my first choice is all.

As to your specific question "which drivers would i install for my hardware, gpu, chipset etc? win7 64??" Kind of need to know what hardware you have ;)

Laptop not really a well suited WHS box, for starters it has what 1 drive slot. Then maybe a couple USB ports, etc. And then most of the drives in laptops, especially older ones are the 2.5 drives are normally slower than 3.5 counterparts, 4200, 5400 rpm vs the 7200 and 10k rpm models you see in desktops, etc.

A well suited WHS box would allow for lots of drives to be installed, you would think at least 4.. Then usb and estata etc.. for even more.

What exactly do you want to get out of it?? Sure can not be a great solution for a FILE Server of any sort -- but sure you can use it if you want.. Just would not be my first choice is all.

As to your specific question "which drivers would i install for my hardware, gpu, chipset etc? win7 64??" Kind of need to know what hardware you have ;)

Well I'll have to disagree with you, as so far its very well suited for my needs. i dont need acres of HD real esate. if i ever do, i wil upgrade the internal HD or get an external HD.I got this intel duo latop for free from the mother in law and i now basically i have a pretty decen t NAS for only the cost of the software, whs2011 ?34. allows me to share all my media about the house esaily, i can now stream movies from it to my DNLA tele. i appreciate the laptop solution may not be ideal for everyone, but for me it is pretty perfect so far. it also has the benefit of having an inbuilt UPS, its discrete and has built in mouse and keyboard.

My orginal question was not meant to be hardware specific, more OS specific as I couldnt see any drivers for whs2011. I wondered if the win7x64 dirvers would do the job was all.

Thanks

G

>snip<

My orginal question was not meant to be hardware specific, more OS specific as I couldnt see any drivers for whs2011. I wondered if the win7x64 dirvers would do the job was all.

Thanks

G

Forget what they all say- you have what you have and if it can work for your purpose, who cares? Right?

Anyhow, Win7 drivers... they may work or may not. Vista drivers may be more likely to work, depending on the actual hardware you have. You'll likely have driver signing issues and such but you'll work through and around that as necessary.

Windows 7 or Windows Sever 2008 R2 drivers will work perfect (as this is a headless server I would not install graphics drivers or sound drivers)

"i have a pretty decen t NAS for only the cost of the software, whs2011 ?34."

Well since you got it for free, you could of had a REALLY good NAS for ?34 by just putting FreeNAS on it ;) or for that matter just using the OS that it came with. You sure an the hell do not need WHS to share files ;)

As to sharing to your DLNA TV, again not something you need WHS for so you could of saved your self 34 quid and spent that either on Beer or anything else for that matter.

You could put the 34 quid towards more HDD space, or Movies/Music for your library, etc.

Thats my 2 cents -- but sure it will work.. If its working for you now guess your good to go then -- what drivers do you think you need? I do believe WHS 2011 is just stripped down version of 2008r2 so drivers for 2008r2 would be the ones your looking for.