Microsoft Patents

REDMOND, Wash. (CBS Seattle) ? Microsoft has been granted a patent for its ?avoid ghetto? feature for GPS devices.

A GPS device is used to find shortcuts and avoid traffic, but

Microsoft?s patent states that a route can be plotted for pedestrians to avoid an ?unsafe neighborhood or being in an open area that is subject to harsh temperatures.?

Created for mobile phones, the technology uses the latest crime statistics and weather data and includes them when calculating a route.

The patent, written in a combination of tech-speak and legalese, was awarded to Microsoft earlier this week. It also described other uses for the new GPS technology.

One section of the patent mentioned that advertisers can use the technology to navigate a user through a newly set up ad campaign.

Microsoft declined to comment to CBS Seattle.

http://seattle.cbslo...or-gps-devices/

Weird! What kind of law by MSFT?

OMG, LOL :rofl: (Y)

They need to roll this out now. My friends from CT always get lost in Queens or in Brooklyn and need some hey cuz they are freaking out. Pretty little girls from Fairfield, CT :D

I could have used this feature when traveling across multiple states. It would have completely avoided Gary, Indiana. What a dump.

haha. This. I had to drive through there a few weeks back and it was amazing that as soon as you get into Gary, the roads suck, everything is run down, and there are swamps for some reason. It's like it's own trashy world. And then as soon as you get out, the roads are fine and the scenery is magically better. :laugh:

Anyway, I can't believe Garmin or somebody else never came up with this feature. The "Avoid Ghetto" concept has been joked about for years.

It would be discrimination if it was called "Avoid Hispanic / Black Neighborhood" - which by all means this feature is, statistically speaking.