i know it's a windows board but i need windows help

I'm sure plenty of people here use Linux. After installing Mandrake 8.1 and getting GRUB to play nice with it and XP Pro, all is peaceful in Dualbootland. However, Mean Mr Mouse (Logitech USB Mouseman Wheel) won't play nice with Mrs. X and Mr Computer Owner is clueless what to do. It just doesn't work, period. The little blue taillight is on, but it doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

First, I'd repost your question on the linux board (assuming this problem only occurs when you run X...). Secondly, USB + Linux is sort of flaky. There could be a number of reasons your mouse isn't working, ranging from a kernel setting to gpm to X itself. Maybe someone on the linux board will be of more help, if nothing else, you can always get a normal ps2 mouse (I don't know why they botherd to make USB mice/keyboards..)

Linux does indeed lack USB support. It also lacks some other types of hardware support. The reason for this is because Micros*it hogged over 90% of the OS market, therefore the companies that make the hardware only bother making those certain hardware work on the Windows and/or the Macintosh. However, if Linux could be able to discuss about this issue, then Linux could make a great comeback against Micros*it's Windows! :)

Originally posted by nuggetman

mxxcon, if you can't give me a useful response, why don't you STFU and FOAD?

do you expect for somebody to do everything for you?

if you weren't so bloody lazy you'd find nice easy HOW-TO and already be using USB, alas you will sit here and bitch.

Originally posted by MxxCon

if you weren't so bloody lazy you'd find nice easy HOW-TO and already be using USB, alas you will sit here and bitch.

Dude please keep calm :p

Originally posted by MxxCon

Gee, did it ever occur to you that I'd looked around and found nothing that was a) useful to me or b) understandable by me (Telling me restart gpm as a runlevel 3 process with the imps2 command switch [not something I found, just an example] leaves me with a look similar to :s) so I was asking for help?

You never said what distro you were using, so I'll just assume that it is an RPM based one (Redhat, Mandrake etc...). The first thing you wanna do is (as root) rpm -e gpm. It can cause some real problems with usb mice and X. The next thing you may wanna try is editing you /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file with your favorite text editor (or if you dont have one try vi). In there somewhere is a section on the mouse. See if the protocol is set to IMPS/2 and that the device it is using is /dev/mouse or /usb/hid0. This is just a thought though. If that does not work could you post your XF86Config-4 file here, as well as the distro your using, X version, and Kernel version. Just as an aside, linux USB support is getting MUCH better, and problems like this are getting fewer and further between....

-Jeff

I can assure you that you don't have a USB 2.0 mouse, and that the 2.5 series is not for stable, desktop systems... your mandrake 8.1 box (sorry missed that befor) is quite capable of using your usb mouse, why its not is a mystery...

I have the exact same mouse and a PS/2 mouse and it auto detects the usb mouse and disable the ps/2 one. Maybe your usb controller is not compatible? I however did have that problem with all RedHat distros and I had to edit a file. try to find/replace this in the file etc/X11/xf85config

# **********************************************************************

# Pointer section

# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"

Protocol "IMPS/2"

Device "/dev/usbmouse"

ZAxisMapping 4 5

# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

# ChordMiddle

EndSection

Your USB Logitech mouse should have a PS/2 adapter with it! Every USB mouse I've ever bought has one. Some keyboards have them also. I always make sure one is included since some older motherboards don't properly boot with USB mice/keyboards.