Beer 'must be sold' at Brazil World Cup, says Fifa

Beer 'must be sold' at Brazil World Cup, says Fifa

Beer must be sold at all venues hosting matches in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, football's world governing body, Fifa, has insisted.

Fifa General Secretary Jerome Valcke said the right to sell beer must be enshrined in a World Cup law the Brazilian Congress is considering.

Alcoholic drinks are currently banned at Brazilian stadiums and the country's health minister has urged Congress to maintain the ban in the new law.

Brewer Budweiser is a big Fifa sponsor.

Mr Valcke is visiting Brazil to press for progress on the much-delayed World Cup law.

Fifa has become frustrated, because voting on the legislation has been held up in Congress by the dispute over alcohol sales.

The Brazilian government has also failed to resolve differences with Fifa over cut-price tickets for students and senior citizens, and demands for sponsors of the World Cup to have their trademarks protected.

'Right to sell beer'

In remarks to journalists in Rio de Janeiro, Mr Valcke sounded frustrated with Brazilian officials:

"Alcoholic drinks are part of the Fifa World Cup, so we're going to have them. Excuse me if I sound a bit arrogant but that's something we won't negotiate," he said.

"The fact that we have the right to sell beer has to be a part of the law."

Alcohol was banned at Brazilian football matches in 2003 in an attempt to tackle violence between rival football fans.

Health Minister Alexandre Padilha and other members of Congress have called for the ban to be maintained.

Mr Valcke said negotiations with Brazil over details of the World Cup had been slow.

"We lost a lot of time and we were not able to discuss with people in charge that are willing to make a decision," he said, adding that it was the first time a country was still in talks five years after winning the right to host the tournament.

During his visit to Brazil Mr Valcke has been touring the stadiums in 12 cities where the 2014 World Cup will be played.

He criticised the pace of construction and said Brazil had not yet improved its infrastructure to the level needed to welcome visitors.

Source: BBC News

In 1986 Brasil were supposed to host the world cup but Mexico had to step in.

Maybe this will be a catalyst to them dropping out again.

So England get your engines running.

We have plenty of public houses and we have plenty of state-of-the-art stadiums.

Would be nice to see England play Brasil at Ashburton Grove.

In 1986 Brasil were supposed to host the world cup but Mexico had to step in.

It was supposed to be the Republic of Colombia, who resigned it in 1982. ;)

It was supposed to be the Republic of Colombia, who resigned it in 1982. ;)

Well where I read this information many yeas ago, it was written as Brasil.

I found this odd as Brasil had already hosted the world cup in 1950.

post-66351-0-30064300-1326968628.jpg

They should be more worried about 2022 Fifa in Qatar, where there'll be no beer, outside or inside of stadium. :woot:

Qatar have said that they'll have "tourist areas" where beer can be sold. Even so though, beer isn't actually banned in Qatar for foreigners, I had a friend teach expat kids over there for a few months, and you get a "beer card" which allows you to spend up to 10% of your paycheck on booze. ?120 a month was plenty for him :p

• 3 weeks later...