• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

F1 World Championship 2012 Thread

Daedroth    492

Providing it keeps them 1-2 in the order they are then I don't see anything wrong with it. As I said before, if they are close enough for it to affect each other then do the leader gets first choice thing. But McLaren shoot themselves in the foot with it at times.

Yeah, it can backfire, but it wasn't a known issue during the race on Sunday. The first round of pit stops were as normal. They were right to pit Button first, as he was ahead. They weren't to know what would happen later in the race. The second round of pit stops were unfortunate because of the safety car, but that wasn't due to a fault of McLaren.

Fourjays    106

Yeah, it can backfire, but it wasn't a known issue during the race on Sunday. The first round of pit stops were as normal. They were right to pit Button first, as he was ahead. They weren't to know what would happen later in the race. The second round of pit stops were unfortunate because of the safety car, but that wasn't due to a fault of McLaren.

Yes, if it wasn't for the safety car then they would have probably been fine with the double pit stop. I'm perhaps overreacting a little, but I saw signs of them repeating past mistakes at Australia. I don't want to see them throwing championships away because of the same poor strategy calls and bad pit stops that we've had previously. Fortunately the latter appears to be fixed but time will tell on the former. Strategy has not been a McLaren strong point for some time.

There does come a point where trying to be fair ends up being unfair because of them sacrificing places. And if the teams behind know their operating procedure they can take full advantage, ala Vettel.

Anyway, I hope Malaysia is as good a race as Australia was. Sunday's race was typical Melbourne but I think there are signs of a much closer racing this year. Would really like to see Sauber get some good points and I'm interested in how Schumacher does against Rosberg.

MightyJordan    7,816
  • Like 1

+Frank B.    7,151

FIA rejects claims that Mercedes's rear wing is illegal

Lotus and Red Bull Racing's complaints that the DRS-activated F-duct on the Mercedes rear wing is illegal have been rejected by the FIA, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The two outfits wanted clarification on the matter ahead of this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix, with both teams reckoning the duct that helps stall the Mercedes wings for a straight-line speed boost is a breach of the rules that prevents driver activated aerodynamic devices.

Discussions between the FIA and all the teams involved have taken place throughout Thursday in the Sepang paddock, but the governing body has not changed its stance on the matter.

The FIA informed the outfits that it remains convinced that the concept is legal because it is passive, and there is nothing in the rules that outlaws a device that is activated by movement of the DRS.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting, who is head of the F1 technical department, said in Australia last weekend: "It is completely passive. There are no moving parts in it; it doesn't interact with any suspension. No steering, nothing. Therefore I cannot see a rule that prohibits it."

The news means that Red Bull Racing and Lotus - the two teams most unhappy about the design ? must now choose to either challenge the matter with an official protest in Malaysia this weekend, or go ahead and develop a similar system themselves.

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug confirmed that his team's car would be unchanged from how it was in the Australian Grand Prix.

"This car passed scrutineering and got the green light," he said in Malaysia.

Source: Autosport

+Frank B.    7,151

Today's free practice results:

FP1:

post-1302-0-10241100-1332491118.png

FP2:

post-1302-0-36679500-1332491121.png

+Frank B.    7,151

FP3:

post-1302-0-82113200-1332576351.png

+Frank B.    7,151

And the qualifying result:

post-1302-0-04933500-1332579933_thumb.pn

Seeing MSC on P3 pleases me. Vettel gambling with the hard tyre is... odd.

The race is the McLarens' to lose. Who will come behind them is impossible to tell - the times are really close among the top 10.

Of course this being Malaysia we may see rain which would mix up the grid even more...

ybrett23    39

mclaren front row lock out !! result :D

• Like 1

Zain Adeel    197

MSC should get a podium if he finishes the race. He seems ready for a great season. Thanks to the other cars.

I believe Button will take this season away. His consistence performance and professionalism is commendable.

MightyJordan    7,816

...well stone me, HRT managed to make the 107% time! :o

Great to see another McLaren 1-2. Let's hope we see a repeat of last week and see another Button win. :)

+Frank B.    7,151

I want to see MSC on the podium tomorrow. Maybe not on P1, but... who knows. His comments about the car being set up for race pace rather than qualifying make me hopeful.

what    326

Dammit, there's going to be six mobile chicanes tomorrow. Should be a cracking race though.

simonlang    530

mclaren untouchable so far. im really proud of that team. and no words for schumacher, this guy is a legend, simply as that. i hope he can finish p3 tomorrow or even p2 or p1 if it rains who knows....

ybrett23    39

lewis for the win this week, button second and i reckon vettal third :)

philcruicks    259

Woo Front row lockout! great start to this season from McLaren!

Vettles choice is interesting...That'll pay if there is any rain in the mid-end of the race...dono if it'll work with a dry race.

Tho the forecast is for rain...http://www.accuweath...-weather/229918 ...tho it says its been raining today which it doesn't seem to have been.

My prediction:

McLaren 1, 2

MSC 3rd, or Seb depending on weather and strategy.

White Man    50

Here's hoping for MSC #1, RAI #2 and BUT #3, HAM #11

ybrett23    39

Here's hopping for MSC #1, RAI #2 and BUT #3, HAM #11

your optimistic arnt you, :/

White Man    50
Aoz_baHCEAAMQIb.jpg

ybrett23    39

Aoz_baHCEAAMQIb.jpg

no thanks its a bit early :laugh:

TheLegendOfMart    1,558

I think its going to be another Mclaren race looking at Quali pace, the only team that can realistically challenge them are Red Bull and they have been off pace all weekend.

Hoping for a Mclaren 1-2 but this is Jensons race to lose, even if it rains I think hes got it in the bag.

Zain Adeel    197

I have a feeling rains gonna give a big advantage to MSC. How are the tyre rules this time?

TheLegendOfMart    1,558

Yeah MSC is one to watch he had a cracking wet race last year in Canada with an off pace car. This year the Merc seems way more competitive, would be nice to see him on the podium.

Zain Adeel    197

Those clouds look menacing.. first few laps gonna be hard. About the clutch settings. Who had good starts in the Australian GP?

White Man    50

Here's good live timing for those who hate plugins and for those who want to make use of an additional screen while watching F1 on the telly

http://formula1livetiming.com/go

simonlang    530

i just refuse to believe that everything in this race is exactly playing into alonsos hands :(

• Like 1