F1 World Championship 2012 Thread

Daedroth

Providing it keeps them 1-2 in the order they are then I don't see anything wrong with it. As I said before, if they are close enough for it to affect each other then do the leader gets first choice thing. But McLaren shoot themselves in the foot with it at times.

Yeah, it can backfire, but it wasn't a known issue during the race on Sunday. The first round of pit stops were as normal. They were right to pit Button first, as he was ahead. They weren't to know what would happen later in the race. The second round of pit stops were unfortunate because of the safety car, but that wasn't due to a fault of McLaren.

Fourjays

Yeah, it can backfire, but it wasn't a known issue during the race on Sunday. The first round of pit stops were as normal. They were right to pit Button first, as he was ahead. They weren't to know what would happen later in the race. The second round of pit stops were unfortunate because of the safety car, but that wasn't due to a fault of McLaren.

Yes, if it wasn't for the safety car then they would have probably been fine with the double pit stop. I'm perhaps overreacting a little, but I saw signs of them repeating past mistakes at Australia. I don't want to see them throwing championships away because of the same poor strategy calls and bad pit stops that we've had previously. Fortunately the latter appears to be fixed but time will tell on the former. Strategy has not been a McLaren strong point for some time.

There does come a point where trying to be fair ends up being unfair because of them sacrificing places. And if the teams behind know their operating procedure they can take full advantage, ala Vettel.

Anyway, I hope Malaysia is as good a race as Australia was. Sunday's race was typical Melbourne but I think there are signs of a much closer racing this year. Would really like to see Sauber get some good points and I'm interested in how Schumacher does against Rosberg.

MightyJordan
  • Like 1
+Frank B.

FIA rejects claims that Mercedes's rear wing is illegal

Lotus and Red Bull Racing's complaints that the DRS-activated F-duct on the Mercedes rear wing is illegal have been rejected by the FIA, AUTOSPORT has learned.

The two outfits wanted clarification on the matter ahead of this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix, with both teams reckoning the duct that helps stall the Mercedes wings for a straight-line speed boost is a breach of the rules that prevents driver activated aerodynamic devices.

Discussions between the FIA and all the teams involved have taken place throughout Thursday in the Sepang paddock, but the governing body has not changed its stance on the matter.

The FIA informed the outfits that it remains convinced that the concept is legal because it is passive, and there is nothing in the rules that outlaws a device that is activated by movement of the DRS.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting, who is head of the F1 technical department, said in Australia last weekend: "It is completely passive. There are no moving parts in it; it doesn't interact with any suspension. No steering, nothing. Therefore I cannot see a rule that prohibits it."

The news means that Red Bull Racing and Lotus - the two teams most unhappy about the design ? must now choose to either challenge the matter with an official protest in Malaysia this weekend, or go ahead and develop a similar system themselves.

Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Norbert Haug confirmed that his team's car would be unchanged from how it was in the Australian Grand Prix.

"This car passed scrutineering and got the green light," he said in Malaysia.

Source: Autosport

+Frank B.

Today's free practice results:

FP1:

post-1302-0-10241100-1332491118.png

FP2:

post-1302-0-36679500-1332491121.png

+Frank B.

FP3:

post-1302-0-82113200-1332576351.png

+Frank B.

And the qualifying result:

post-1302-0-04933500-1332579933_thumb.pn

Seeing MSC on P3 pleases me. Vettel gambling with the hard tyre is... odd.

The race is the McLarens' to lose. Who will come behind them is impossible to tell - the times are really close among the top 10.

Of course this being Malaysia we may see rain which would mix up the grid even more...

ybrett23

mclaren front row lock out !! result :D

• Like 1
Zain Adeel

MSC should get a podium if he finishes the race. He seems ready for a great season. Thanks to the other cars.

I believe Button will take this season away. His consistence performance and professionalism is commendable.

MightyJordan

...well stone me, HRT managed to make the 107% time! :o

Great to see another McLaren 1-2. Let's hope we see a repeat of last week and see another Button win. :)

+Frank B.

I want to see MSC on the podium tomorrow. Maybe not on P1, but... who knows. His comments about the car being set up for race pace rather than qualifying make me hopeful.

what

Dammit, there's going to be six mobile chicanes tomorrow. Should be a cracking race though.

simonlang

mclaren untouchable so far. im really proud of that team. and no words for schumacher, this guy is a legend, simply as that. i hope he can finish p3 tomorrow or even p2 or p1 if it rains who knows....

ybrett23

lewis for the win this week, button second and i reckon vettal third :)

philcruicks

Woo Front row lockout! great start to this season from McLaren!

Vettles choice is interesting...That'll pay if there is any rain in the mid-end of the race...dono if it'll work with a dry race.

Tho the forecast is for rain...http://www.accuweath...-weather/229918 ...tho it says its been raining today which it doesn't seem to have been.

My prediction:

McLaren 1, 2

MSC 3rd, or Seb depending on weather and strategy.

White Man

Here's hoping for MSC #1, RAI #2 and BUT #3, HAM #11

ybrett23

Here's hopping for MSC #1, RAI #2 and BUT #3, HAM #11

your optimistic arnt you, :/

ybrett23

Aoz_baHCEAAMQIb.jpg

no thanks its a bit early :laugh:

TheLegendOfMart

I think its going to be another Mclaren race looking at Quali pace, the only team that can realistically challenge them are Red Bull and they have been off pace all weekend.

Hoping for a Mclaren 1-2 but this is Jensons race to lose, even if it rains I think hes got it in the bag.

Zain Adeel

I have a feeling rains gonna give a big advantage to MSC. How are the tyre rules this time?

TheLegendOfMart

Yeah MSC is one to watch he had a cracking wet race last year in Canada with an off pace car. This year the Merc seems way more competitive, would be nice to see him on the podium.

Zain Adeel

Those clouds look menacing.. first few laps gonna be hard. About the clutch settings. Who had good starts in the Australian GP?

simonlang

i just refuse to believe that everything in this race is exactly playing into alonsos hands :(

• Like 1
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Brandon H
      Neowin's Community Minecraft Server
      Server hosting is provided by BisectHosting

Discussion of connecting with pirated copied (including requests for offline mode for this reason) will result in you receiving a warning. The usual forum rules for piracy apply here.

Server Address:
      mc.neowin.net (204.44.126.159)
      Currently Running Vanilla 1.16.3

Server Rules
      Be nice, polite, and respectful No Griefing, this is your only warning Do not build on others door steps without permissions, explore and find your own land Do not be annoying Do not build at spawn without permission of an admin Do not modify any other players builds without permission Have fun, if you don't have fun you will get slapped Label all builds in creative  

If you wish to join our server please post here with your Minecraft username; you must be an active member of the Neowin community.

Our server is powered by donations. Payments are made quarterly. Please help donate to the server to keep it running.

• By Timan
      Neowin's Minecraft Server
      Server hosting is provided by TBD

Discussion of connecting with pirated copied (including requests for offline mode for this reason) will result in you receiving a warning. The usual forum rules for piracy apply here.

Server Address:
      mc.neowin.net (104.208.240.71)
      Currently Running Vanilla 1.16.1

Server Rules
      Be nice, polite, and respectful No Griefing, this is your only warning Do not build on others door steps without permissions, explore and find your own land Do not be annoying Do not build at spawn without permission of an admin Do not modify any other players builds without permission Have fun, if you don't have fun you will get slapped Label all builds in creative  

ATTENTION: We are currently working on setting up a new server on a paid host. If you would like to contribute towards this cause please review the Poll page and/or donate to the new server PayPal account at https://paypal.me/NeowinMC

Thank You  
    • By Ather Fawaz
      AWS and Formula 1 announce six new racing performance stats
      by Ather Fawaz

Image via Formula 1 With less than two weeks to go for the resumption of the 2020 season, Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Formula 1 have announced six new performance statistics that will help fans analyze the flood of real-time data during races. This will help them gauge the performance of the cars on track and predict race outcomes. These statistics will use a variety of AWS offerings, including Amazon Kinesis, AWS Lambda, and Amazon SageMaker.

To start off, on July 3-5, at the RedBull Ring in Austria, the debutant 'Car Performance Scores' will display an individual car’s performance using four metrics: Low-Speed Cornering, High-Speed Cornering, Straight Line, and Car Handling⁠. These are vital indicators of a car's race performance and will allow fans to compare different F1 cars on the track.

The Car Performance Score stats are in addition to the five other metrics that will debut this season. Complete details on those are as follows:

Vis-à-vis the initiative, Rob Smedley, the Chief Engineer of Formula 1, stated that “We’re excited to be expanding this successful relationship to bring even more insights to life, allowing fans to go deeper into the many ways that drivers and racing teams work together to affect success.” While Mike Clayville, Vice President of Worldwide Commercial Sales at AWS remarked that “This year, we’re thrilled to extend the power of F1 data in the cloud and unlock new insights that help fans understand more of F1’s rich complexity.”

• By zikalify
      HTC blunder confirms specifications and pricing of its U12 Plus before event
      by Paul Hill

HTC is set to unveil its HTC U12 at an event tomorrow, there’s a good chance it will officially unveil the HTC U12 Plus too. Unfortunately for HTC, its engineers appear to have left a test webpage for the HTC U12 Plus open for the public to see. The mistake, which was quickly rectified, now means that specifications and pricing of the upcoming premium handset were leaked ahead of the official reveal.

The premium device will be available in China with a price tag of 5,888 yuan, roughly $920. At least one of the options for the device will include 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. HTC has decided to opt out of using an OLED screen and has instead gone with a 6-inch WQHD+ (1440 x 2880) Super LCD6. The U12 Plus appears to come in a variety of colours including maroon, black, and navy blue.

The device will be powered by a Snapdragon 845 processor and has a slot to add a microSD card up to 2TB. The U12 Plus is equipped with Boomsound speakers and is classified as IP68-rated water and dust resistance giving it some innate protection against the elements. Lastly, it is powered by a 3,500mAh battery which should see it last for about a day but we won’t know for certain until it gets into people’s hands.

Let us know, are you excited for HTC’s upcoming devices?

Source: Roland Quandt (Twitter) via The Verge

• By DreyerSmit
      HTC officially unveils the squeezable semi-translucent U11+
      by Dreyer Smit

Without making too much of a fuss, HTC has officially taken the veil off of the not-so-secret U11+, a larger sibling to the flagship the company launched earlier this year. The device brings along with it the same elegant design, incorporates an edge-to-edge display, and a squeezable frame that one can find on devices like the Google Pixel 2.

Specification-wise, the device isn't a far cry from what has been leaked earlier, with it sporting the usual flagship specifications. The U11+ is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835, with it coming with two flavors in relation to its storage and RAM configurations; namely a 4GB RAM with 64GB storage option, and a 6GB RAM with 128GB storage onboard. The display follows the trend set by devices like the Samsung Galaxy S8, with it being a 6-inch QHD+ DCI-P3 compliant panel that supports HDR10.

Size wise it's a little taller than the U11, by 4.5mm to be exact, which makes way for the 3930 mAh battery, that should help power the display through the average workday. Beyond that, the device does not feature a 3.5mm headphone jack as is the "norm" with flagship devices these days, however, it does come with HTC USonic noise-canceling USB-C headphones in the box. As for the front-facing speakers, these are powered by BoomSound and are reportedly 30% louder than their counterparts on the slightly smaller U11.

As for the camera, the device sports a 12M sensor with a f/1.7 aperture with phase detect autofocus, optical image stabilization, and a dual-LED flash. On the flip side, the front-facing camera is powered by an 8M shooter with a f/2.0 aperture, which should make for some good looking selfies.

Full specifications for the device are:

As for the strange coil visible through the translucent glass, the device, unfortunately, does not support wireless charging as it would suggest. HTC has not yet updated its official site or noted in its mailed PR statement in which markets the U11+ will be available; however, according to The Verge who had some hands-on time with it, the U11+ will be available to buy unlocked, with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, for £699 from November 20th in the UK, and in Europe, where the device will cost €799. We will keep you updated once more information is made available.

For more images of the device, check out the gallery below.