Cracking Open the Nokia Lumia 800

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-nokia-lumia-800/6340918?tag=nl.e101

Nokia Lumia 800 teardown

Released in Europe and the UK in late 2011, the Nokia Lumia 800 is a solid Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) handset. Although only the unlocked version is available in the US, the Lumia 800 may give us good idea of what to expect inside the soon-to-be-released Lumia 900, which Nokia announced at CES 2012. Following along as I crack open the Lumia 800 for a look at the hardware inside...

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/cracking-open-the-nokia-lumia-800/6340918?tag=nl.e101

Nokia Lumia 800 Teardown: Skip it, wait for the Lumia 900

• Decent, but not cutting-edge, hardware: Like the Lumia 710, the 800 has a single-core, 1.4GHz Qualcomm processor with Adreno 205 graphics and 512 megabytes of RAM. But unlike the 710, it has twice as much storage, a better camera, and an AMOLED screen. In a world of dual- and quad-core mobile CPUs, I wonder if the the single-core Lumia will be able to keep up.
  • Smaller battery than similar phones: The Lumia 800?s 1,440 mAh battery has less capacity than the Droid Razr (1,780 mAh) or Galaxy Nexus (1,750 mAh).

post-376446-0-52687300-1327659678.jpg

• Like 2

Certainly not terribly well informed for a "Head Technology Editor". Unless the 800 does ship with a full metal body in the US. /s

Was also wondering how someone would open this up - I didn't realise there were actually two screws holding the screen in place :p

People see "lower battery capacity" and start crying... when in actual fact my Lumia 800 can push 2 days (not 48 hours, but wake up one morning and having to put it on charge the next evening) with battery saver, or if you're conservative, a day and a half without it. Even with 3G, Wi-Fi, playing music, internet browsing, whatever, the phone will still go an easy 7am-9pm day at least, probably a bit longer.

Also, it's a polycarbonate shell, not a full metal body. Jesus. Also, quite obviously, with the very latest games the Lumia 800 struggles (for example, I don't see it pumping out GTA 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could), but Windows Phone is extremely zippy, and faster then yesterday's champions such as the HTC Mozart.

IIRC, the only difference between the 800 and the 900 is the bigger screen and better cameras. I would say a bigger battery, but I'd put a pretty penny on a bet that says the only reason why it has a bigger battery is because of the bigger screen. That's not a put-down - as I said, the 800's battery life is amazing for a smartphone however a bigger screen sucks up more juice, and so they've probably put in a bigger battery to counter-balance the bigger screen.

Unless you've got a real hard on for bigger screens, the 800 is a fantastic phone (and easily the best Windows Phone out there).

It was plastic last i read.

:s

It is polycarbonate - but considering that's both denser and weightier (and more expensive) than the typical metals you find in other phones, I suppose a layman could be mistaken for confusing the two. It's certainly nothing like the standard plastics Samsung and other companies use. But Head Technology Editors aren't meant to be laymen :p

Yup i know its polycarbonate.

But its still plastic. And confusing it with metal.. well. Did they forget that they need the antennas to work aswell. So a single metal body wouldnt really work would it?

Also. I really like how the display is a seperate body on the Lumia 800. I believe this is what makes it so hard to break. AS it has a little suspension and the screws allow the screen to press down a little if dropped.