Repairing a Corsair HX850 Power Supply?

I've been running the Corsair 520w PSU since 2007/08 and haven't had a single problem (hope I don't jinx it with this post). Perhaps Seasonic have made changes in their manufacturing process but there seems to be a very interesting thread over at overclock.net which investigates the issue of failure of new Seasonic/Corsair PSU's after about 6 months or so of use:

http://www.overclock...nic-x560-owners (issue affects Corsair AX range too)

Yes I have a surge protector, a cheap one that I think I paid $20 - $30 for but it's a surge protector. I'm not so sure about the wiring in our apartment complex though, I haven't bought another brand of PSU to confirm whether it's the PSU or something external contributing to the failure of my PSU.

I didnt see this post last week when this thread was started - but it is all starting to make sense.

NO that is NOT A SURGE PROTECTOR - $20-$30 is a piece of junk power strip - nothing more. it might be a Surge Suppressor but it is not a Surge Protector. yes, there is a difference.

Whatever you decide to do - get a decent surge protector. APC, or Tripp-Lite are great. Anything more than $30 is OK; anything less is nothing but a power strip to add more unprotected power cables.

Obviously its not worth spending $200 on a 900W APC w/ LED screen if its protecting a 4 year old HP or some netbook - but everything piece of electronics I own is plugged into some kind of protection.

After I saw a gaming computer melt a power cable and start a fire with my own eyes - I have been vigilant about power protection.

Had my Corsair 750W TX for nearly 3 years now, great PSU, and still going strong despite all my clocking efforts :) Great Warranty on them too, so I see no need to open any of them up.

Ok, so I am not sure now that the PSU was the sole fault of my system. While replacing the PSU has caused the issues to subside I have experienced two random shutdowns since replacing the PSU. I honestly think my motherboard may be part of the problem as well. Since I bought the motherboard I've had problems with the system not booting with my DDR3 ram in slots 1, 3 and 5, however the system will boot with the ram in slots 2, 4, and 6. Another thing is that I accidentally dropped a piece of thin copper/metal wire into one of the PCI-e x16 slots which I was sure I got out before booting the PC.

Only problem is that I am not sure I can RMA my motherboard as I stupidly tried to remove the sticker with the serial number due to planning to request an RMA in the past since I didn't want to remove the motherboard just to get to the serial number.

:Edit: Also when I was experiencing issues with my PSU, sometimes when the system shutdown or rebooted my system clock would be reset.