50hz for PS3/Xbox360?

Looking for a new TV and alot of the lower priced TV's have a 50hz refresh rate. I seem to have seem to remember something about games requireing a 60hz TV? None of the games I have display any such requirements on the box.

Is 50hz safe for gaming?

50Hz is usually a European spec, USA (NTSC) uses 60hz. Your info suggests Ireland so i'll guess you are in Europe ;) - Most companies added NTSC specs to their TVs because lots of people ship DVDs and such from the USA to family back home.

100hz TVs (or 120hz TVs) are as a result of a special smoothing chip (MC) for fast motion which doubles the frames. As a result of that extra processing there is usually some lag. Most of those TVs however have a "Game" mode which then switches off that chip so that there's no lag when playing games.

I've not seen a TV in ages that can't do 60Hz (10+ years). Are you sure your information is correct? Even Tesco's cheap as chips Technika TVs supports 60Hz.

Either way, you should be able to play the games in 50Hz, but there will probably be some kind of detriment. Normally the screen is smaller and things are a tad slower.

I've not seen a TV in ages that can't do 60Hz (10+ years). Are you sure your information is correct? Even Tesco's cheap as chips Technika TVs supports 60Hz.

Alot of the low priced large TV's I've seen are spec'd as being 50hz. For example this LG TV:

http://m.lg.com/uk/t...tv-32LK450U.jsp

Also reading some sites that say playing 60hz games on 50hz mean they will be in black and white...

Actually I think the 50hz is only in respect to the manufactuer's own measurement system. LG note it is as "Motion Clarity Index", Samsung as "Clear Motion rate". So I imagine these sets are capable of the traditional "60hz"....

I think...

I live in a PAL region and I have games that require 60Hz. Some of them will not play at 50Hz, they throw an error. Just make sure that any TV you buy supports 60Hz as well as 50Hz, but like jamesyfx said, I've not seen a TV in years that doesn't support 60Hz