Siri Doesn

Siri and Scotland are separated by a common language. The debut of Siri, Apple?s new virtual assistant, gave rise to a meme as excited customers tested out the new voice-recognition software. Except in Scotland, where the assistant appears unable to understand the Scottish brogue. A puzzled Siri responds to ?What's the weather like today?? with ?What's available in Labor Day?? Another request to ?create a reminder? is greeted with a straight ?I don?t understand,? and finally ?I don't know what you mean? by ?create Alamain.? Nevertheless, the new iPhone has sold well in Scotland.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2012/01/31/siri-doesn-t-do-scottish.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

For a start Scottish isn't a language. It is an accent and as far as I know it works perfectly well with the Queen's English, as long as you can speak it correctly. :p

I am scottish and Scots is a language, its just a much broader version of English. i.e the word "wee" , "numpty", "glechit" etc

Im not suprised by Siri`s problems, and I dont imagine its much better with Irish or Welsh.

Poor thing wouldnt stand a chance with questions like "Hall! wee phone, gies eh time n aw that eh?"

I don't want to get into a whole dialect vs language vs accent argument but if Scots is a language then so is Geordie. Why aye!

So the Geordies were a seperate people until when? Scotland was its own country with own Monarch. Languages included Gaelic, Pictish, and more.

Scottish English refers to the varieties of English spoken in Scotland. It may or may not be considered distinct from the Scots language.[1] It is always considered distinct from Scottish Gaelic, a Celtic language. The main, formal variety is called Scottish Standard English[2][3] or Standard Scottish English,[4] often abbreviated to SSE.[5] SSE may be defined as "the characteristic speech of the professional class [in Scotland] and the accepted norm in schools."[6]

In addition to distinct pronunciation, grammar and expressions, Scottish English has distinctive vocabulary, particularly pertaining to Scottish institutions such as the Church of Scotland, local government and the education and legal systems.

Scottish Standard English is at one end of a bipolar linguistic continuum, with focused broad Scots at the other.[7] Scottish English may be influenced to varying degrees by Scots.[1][8] Many Scots speakers separate Scots and Scottish English as different registers depending on social circumstances.[9] Some speakers code switch clearly from one to the other while others style shift in a less predictable and more fluctuating manner.[9] Generally there is a shift to Scottish English in formal situations or with individuals of a higher social status.[10]

What a great link to undermine your own argument. As it says Scottish English a variety of English.

What does Monarch or being a country have to do with languages. Is Mandarin not a language then because there is no country of Mandarin?

We are not talking about Gaelic or other languages. The way most Scottish people speak now is no different from Geordie. They both draw from other languages but are fundamentally based on English. They have just picked up other words due to regional history.