picking up an iphone 4

getting a great deal on a IP4 and i can't pass it up . anyways i understand the IP4 takes a micro sim .

can i go in to my att store and get them to set up a micro sim and move my number over ? also i shouldn't need anything added to my phone plan should i ? i have a data plan and a family plan

Once you activate a micro-sim and transfer your number over to the micro-sim, the original sim becomes useless *i think*

You should be able to just go into a ATT store and obtain a new micro SIM. :)

Although as stated above, if you then intend to port your number and plan across from your standard-sized SIM then that chip will then become useless.

So just to make sure i have this right .

if i go to the store get a micro done my normal one is done worthless .

and if i wanted to jump back to my old phone then i could go back and get the information put back on big card ?

i have a data plan and a family plan

Considering you already have a data plan and intend to keep it, I would suggest that you go to an AT&T store for a new microsim.

On the other hand, if you were wanting to use the iPhone 4 w/o a dataplan my recommendation would be to cut your existing SIM so that AT&T is not in the loop. I'm not sure how long you would be able to get away with it though. If AT&T figured out somehow that you were using an iPhone they would add the data plan for you. This obviously doesn't apply to you but is a mere FYI.

Considering you already have a data plan and intend to keep it, I would suggest that you go to an AT&T store for a new microsim.

On the other hand, if you were wanting to use the iPhone 4 w/o a dataplan my recommendation would be to cut your existing SIM so that AT&T is not in the loop. I'm not sure how long you would be able to get away with it though. If AT&T figured out somehow that you were using an iPhone they would add the data plan for you. This obviously doesn't apply to you but is a mere FYI.

no i plan on using the data plan

So just to make sure i have this right .

if i go to the store get a micro done my normal one is done worthless .

and if i wanted to jump back to my old phone then i could go back and get the information put back on big card ?

No. Just buy a microsim -> SIM adapter. I picked one up off of Amazon for $2 (its just a piece of plastic). Tested it and it works fine. I'm able to use the adapter to swap the microsim between my iphone 4 and iPhone 3gs. The only issue I've had with this is that my AT&T 3G MicroCell at work does not let my iPhone 3GS on. Must be checking stuff beyond the SIM and my phone number (although you enter the phone numbers to set up the MicroCell...I dunno). If you don't have a 3G MicroCell then you shouldn't have a problem.