Patriots' Welker Gets Butterfingers

butterfingers_120207_IA.jpg

They say revenge is a dish best served cold ... or as an orange-flaky caramel crisp dipped in chocolate. Like a Butterfinger bar.

On Tuesday, 900 pounds of Butterfingers (8,000 bars) were delivered to Copley Square in Boston -- no doubt mocking

Wes Welker's critical drop late in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XLVI.

And really Gisele, you know how many starving children you could have feed with the amount of money you spent on this prank? This was a touch uncalled for. Oh wait, it wasn't Gisele at all. Though, she might have had thought of it first considering

her comments after the Super Bowl.

Instead, it was a gift from Denver-based online pawn shop Pawngo. Many around the country would likely welcome any suffering aimed at Patriots fans. But come on, don't you think Welker feels

bad enough already?

"We had an opportunity. The ball is right there," Welker explained after the game. "I just have to make the play. It's a play I've made 1,000 times. Then, in the biggest moment of my life, I don't come up with it. It's discouraging."

"It hit me right in the hands," he added. "It's a play I never drop, I always make. In the most critical situation, I let the team down."

What would be Boston's return volley here? Erecting a movie screen in downtown Denver to show a replay of the Patriots' beatdown of the Broncos in the playoffs? Dropping Curt Schilling into town to

talk about the 2007 World Series? Perhaps letting Denver know Tim Tebow will be their quarterback next season?

The pass Welker dropped, could have been a game winner for the Patriots, and a pass he never drops. I am not a Patriots fan, so I can laugh at this, it is rather funny. But still, harsh.

In case you are unfamiliar with the term: when a player consistently drops a pass in American Football, (or any other sport really, that requires you to catch something) they are called butter-fingers, mocking as if you have butter on your hands and can't make a catch.

The pass the article is talking about wasn't a great throw to begin with. It was behind Welker and too high. The fact that he was able to shift his momentum enough to turn, jump, and get hands on the ball is commendable in and of itself. Had Bradey thrown a better pass, the outcome of the game may have been different. I wouldn't put all of the blame on Welker.

The pass the article is talking about wasn't a great throw to begin with. It was behind Welker and too high. The fact that he was able to shift his momentum enough to turn, jump, and get hands on the ball is commendable in and of itself. Had Bradey thrown a better pass, the outcome of the game may have been different. I wouldn't put all of the blame on Welker.

I strongly agree with you on that. The pass was quite high and out of reach and he did make the effort to get it. But they will always say, you are expected to make that catch in crucial game time. Bad throw by Brady, great attempt by Welker, but not good enough.

Even though I'm a Giants fan, I hate the crap people are giving Welker. You can't pin everything on him, they still had chances to make plays even though he dropped that pass.

What happened to Welker happens to the best of players - It was just unlucky. I don't think it was a game deciding catch. The patriots had a lot of other opportunities to make decent plays. I'm a Giants fan and let me just say that the Giants were struggling halfway through that game when we were down by 8 but they ceased opportunities since then. The game could have gone either way and it was pretty even, but in the end the better team won. I wouldn't have felt any different if the Patriots had won, the last part of the game was intense.

Silly people always look at the last plays to judge (Hernandez and Branch dropped, the safety play, Pollard f'ed up Gronk's ankle game prior etc). Probably something to do with how people think in a narrative fashion rather than at the whole picture. At the end of the day, the Giants were superior at special teams and receiving. The sad fact is, the Pats D was just responsible for 19 points against and 7 of those was after one play of offense. I think BB's game plan was banking on the offense scoring at least 3 TDs. But a bend-don't-break defense only works if you are leading by 3 or more points.

Oh well. Brady is getting older, but the AFC is (currently) garbage and the relatively young Pats D is very capable of improving. And perhaps McD can bring in some deep threat options for Brady.