Mom Forced Son to Walk Alongside Car

A Utah mother, who allegedly forced her son to walk alongside a moving car she was driving after he had missed his school bus, has been charged with child abuse and reckless driving, ABC News has learned.

Stacie Johnson, 37, reportedly was angry that her 9-year-old son had missed the bus to school one too many times, and was again refusing to walk. But what Johnson may have thought was teaching her son a lesson, turned into criminal charges Monday, 11 days after she was arrested in the incident.

"He had missed the bus repeatedly ? he refused to go to school," Johnson wrote in an email to ABC News. "The reason I did not walk with him is that I was already late for work."

Police responded to a call on Jan. 26 reporting that a boy was being pulled alongside a moving car by his belt, which was being held by the female driver, as it headed down a Woods Cross neighborhood street.

Woods Cross Police Chief Greg Butler told ABC News that Johnson was driving at a slow enough speed that the boy could keep pace with the vehicle, but that he could have been hit by traffic driving in the opposite direction.

Police turned the case over to the Davis County District Attorney's office and Johnson was charged Monday with child abuse, a class A misdemeanor, and a class B misdemeanor of reckless driving.

While the story has been making its way around the internet, Johnson's identity was not known until after she was charged Monday.

Johnson told ABC News that contrary to other media reports, she did not "drag her son through the car window in the middle of the road," but rather that the door was "ajar" as she drove slowly to the side of the two-lane road.

source

And here is where the world is going wrong. Parents are being punished for trying to teach their children right from wrong. When I was growing up, this kind of punishment was normal.

you can't properly teach right from wrong unless punishment is given. It's is not like the child will say "I will behave". :(

And here is where the world is going wrong. Parents are being punished for trying to teach their children right from wrong. When I was growing up, this kind of punishment was normal.

you can't properly teach right from wrong unless punishment is given. It's is not like the child will say "I will behave". :(

I remember my school counselor called the cops on my mom because I was seeing her for having anger problems and she asked if my mom ever spanked me, I told her "once in a blue moon". That was back in 7th grade I believe '99-'00.

I get called to retarded stuff, so if I was the officer that responded, I would have told her that I understood where she was coming from, but since I was called just drive him the rest of the way inside of the vehicle. I wouldn't charge her of something stupid like that.

I lack the amount of wit enough to counter this in the way it deserves.

I'm sure others might have their witty 5 minutes and give you a proper response to this. I hope so at least.

Creepy hell...

Glassed Silver:mac

What did she do wrong? Sounds like she was doing a decent job of parenting actually.

The problem is that the kid was being pulled by his belt outside of the car by his mother while driving.

• Like 2

this is completely unacceptable. really. no words for this. no reason to possibly get your child killed over some punk-ass **** like that.

The problem is that the kid was being pulled by his belt outside of the car by his mother while driving.

even that wasn't the problem... the driver is on the side closest to the on-coming cars. This means the child was basically pulled down the center of the street - walking towards oncoming cars only feet from him on one side and his mother's car on the other. Had anything gone wrong, the child had no where to go.

even that wasn't the problem... the driver is on the side closest to the on-coming cars. This means the child was basically pulled down the center of the street - walking towards oncoming cars only feet from him on one side and his mother's car on the other. Had anything gone wrong, the child had no where to go.

Say it already, you're just against the old fashioned way, that ALWAYS worked flawlessly and are a pu**y in denial! :angry:

Softies these days... No wonder our society goes downhill, becomes less caring for each other, less social and more people get hurt. :rolleyes:

/SARCASM

oh the hypocrisy with some people... :rolleyes:

You got that right! (Y)

The problem is that this child was put in serious danger she couldn't even control remotely well anymore and of cause the child has now lost a lot of trust, faith and an idol (which a caring mother should be to some extend).

And did I mention that the child probably had a good chunk of fear?

Oh no problem, all some in here care about is that the child learned some lesson.

Screw the child's mental state or safety.

Some people... really...

• Like 2

I would of walked behind the kid with a cattle prod....

Kids these days don't respect their parents and its the parents fault. I would of grabbed the kid, put his ass in the car (whether or not he was still in his PJs of regular clothes) drove him to school and dragged him inside in front of everyone. A little embarrassment goes a long way and just the threat of doing that would of been enough.

I would of walked behind the kid with a cattle prod....

Kids these days don't respect their parents and its the parents fault. I would of grabbed the kid, put his ass in the car (whether or not he was still in his PJs of regular clothes) drove him to school and dragged him inside in front of everyone. A little embarrassment goes a long way and just the threat of doing that would of been enough.

Do you have children?

Actually she should've just given more intense punishment so the idiot child wouldn't dare be late again. He takes the money his mom is paying for his education for granted and so deserves a lot worse than being made to walk. She should've not given him a ride at all and let him miss school:

1. The more he did this , the more his grades would fall and he wouldn't get a decent college education

2. Then he'd be a failure the rest of his life like he deserves.

OR

1. He learns to value what he's getting and gets his ass up on time

2. Goes to school on time and realizes his mistakes.

Actually she should've just given more intense punishment so the idiot child wouldn't dare be late again. He takes the money his mom is paying for his education for granted and so deserves a lot worse than being made to walk. She should've not given him a ride at all and let him miss school:

1. The more he did this , the more his grades would fall and he wouldn't get a decent college education

OR

1. He learns to value what he's getting and gets his ass up on time

2. Goes to school on time and realizes his mistakes.

You're tripping...

What did she do wrong? Sounds like she was doing a decent job of parenting actually.

I doubt any sensible parent would put their child in danger to teach them a lesson. The mother mentioned in the article exposed her son to unnecessary danger. That's the issue here and that's why she was charged with reckless driving and child abuse. Instead of exposing him to oncoming traffic, she could have told him to walk on the sidewalk.

Do you have children?

Nope, but that doesnt matter. I have taken care of my nieces and nephews sometimes weeks at at time. My sisters yell at their kids and expect them to do as they are told. They give excuses and nothing ever gets done. Like cleaning their room. They never make sure the kids do what they are told. I get up, turn the TV off, PC off, and take away their electronics and tell them they can have everything back once things are done. I ignore their excuses on why they cannot do what I tell them to do and stand around and makes sure they do as told. A couple times of doing that, they now do what I tell them to do the first time without me repeating myself. Because I dont let them get away with it and now they respect me and know I mean business and always love when I am around and we have a good time.. I never yelled at them, never spanked/slapped them, and was only stern and direct and let them know what was what. My sisters, however, are still a different story.

You don't have to have kids to make sure you are respected as an adult and kids these days don't respect adults like they once did and how they should.

He deserves to be a failure because his parents are not doing their jobs? Its the parents job to raise their kids properly and become a functional member of society. No kid deserves that because the parents are lacking.

Nope, but that doesnt matter. I have taken care of my nieces and nephews sometimes weeks at at time. My sisters yell at their kids and expect them to do as they are told. They give excuses and nothing ever gets done. Like cleaning their room. They never make sure the kids do what they are told. I get up, turn the TV off, PC off, and take away their electronics and tell them they can have everything back once things are done. I ignore their excuses on why they cannot do what I tell them to do and stand around and makes sure they do as told. A couple times of doing that, they now do what I tell them to do the first time without me repeating myself. Because I dont let them get away with it and now they respect me and know I mean business and always love when I am around and we have a good time.. I never yelled at them, never spanked/slapped them, and was only stern and direct and let them know what was what. My sisters, however, are still a different story.

You don't have to have kids to make sure you are respected as an adult and kids these days don't respect adults like they once did and how they should.

My question wasn't intended to question where you're believes come from.

What you however just described sounds more sensible.

So I guess, good for you.

I doubt any sensible parent would put their child in danger to teach them a lesson. The mother mentioned in the article exposed her son to unnecessary danger. That's the issue here and that's why she was charged with reckless driving and child abuse. Instead of exposing him to oncoming traffic, she could have told him to walk on the sidewalk.

my bad, I misread. I didn't know she had a belt 0_0. I also thought it was just small side streets and he was on the side walk.

My question wasn't intended to question where you're believes come from.

What you however just described sounds more sensible.

So I guess, good for you.

Its common sense really. If kids dont do as they are directed, then you get up and make sure they do it. People are just to lazy and caught up in their lives to put forth the effort. Its easier to yell at the kids or do it yourself than to make sure your orders are followed. I see it with my sisters all the time and I dont put up with it. And the older the kids get, the harder it is to correct their behavior so if you dont get them on the right track when they are younger, good luck.

my bad, I misread. I didn't know she had a belt 0_0. I also thought it was just small side streets and he was on the side walk.

Thank god... And I thought there were really that many wingnuts around here in this thread... :laugh:

Ratio just got a little better.

Its common sense really. If kids dont do as they are directed, then you get up and make sure they do it. People are just to lazy and caught up in their lives to put forth the effort. Its easier to yell at the kids or do it yourself than to make sure your orders are followed. I see it with my sisters all the time and I dont put up with it. And the older the kids get, the harder it is to correct their behavior so if you dont get them on the right track when they are younger, good luck.

Definitely agree with you there.

I don't have kids myself, in case you're wondering, but I was a kindergarten teacher for a year (civil service) and previously I always had this concept of parenting.

However, what you said on page 1 really went too far imho.

Enforcing the child's school duty all fine and dandy, but with only a pyjama on them, that's too harsh.

Thank god... And I thought there were really that many wingnuts around here in this thread... :laugh:

Definitely agree with you there.

I don't have kids myself, in case you're wondering, but I was a kindergarten teacher for a year (civil service) and previously I always had this concept of parenting.

However, what you said on page 1 really went too far imho.

Enforcing the child's school duty all fine and dandy, but with only a pyjama on their hips, that's too harsh.

Why not PJs? A lot of kids these days go to school like that purposely. Its not like I would drag the kid there in his underwear.

Why not PJs? A lot of kids these days go to school like that purposely. Its not like I would drag the kid there in his underwear.

Possibly depends on the kid, the PJ and the area.

I agree that some kids do it purposely, but there's more to it.

god, if i had kids I couldnt dream of doing that! I thought she was just driving slowly next to him making sure he walked.
  • Like 1

god, if i had kids I couldnt dream of doing that! I thought she was just driving slowly next to him making sure he walked.

Sure, as long as they aren't required to wear school uniforms.