Need some help with a script.

Question

Hey guys, on my site DominateDominion.com I am trying to have a table that updates every day. Basically, I play a game called League of Legends and they have a map called Dominion. There is no ranked mode for dominion, but I was given some files that can get the players elo. I have a note pad where I type in the person's usernamer whos elo I want to find out, then I run a batch file, and open results.txt and it gives the players elo. The guy who gave me the files said all I need for it to update on my site automatically each day was a script where it dumps all the users from the site to a file, runs the batch file, then sends the update back to the server. So how could I do this? I'm don't know any programming or anything at all. Where should I start looking?

Well Digital I guess option A since it's easier. Sorry for the late reply, have been busy. But yeah, the contest is basically I want these stats to show up in a table from highest to lowest or something. A column with their name, another for their ELO, and another for their win/loss.

What does each row in results.txt mean though? That's the info I'd need...

TheFeedski (Now:Bronze, S1:Bronze), RankedSolo5x5: 1254 [0W/0L], Dominion: 2189 [750W/566L], Normal: 624W/570L
Tootulz (Now:Bronze, S1:Bronze), RankedSolo5x5: 1271 [0W/0L], Dominion: 2199 [563W/429L], Normal: 516W/463L
TakinTheHeat (Now:Bronze, S1:Silver), RankedSolo5x5: 1275 [0W/0L], Dominion: 2033 [293W/260L], Normal: 968W/894L
Hugs From Momma, Dominion: 2164 [522W/459L], Normal: 228W/208L
Estufa (Now:Unranked, S1:Bronze), RankedSolo5x5: 1228 [2W/2L], Dominion: 2062 [443W/340L], Normal: 411W/377L
Dafe (Now:Bronze, S1:Silver), RankedSolo5x5: 1323 [1W/0L], Dominion: 1976 [219W/174L], Normal: 887W/824L
Gee4hire, Dominion: 2040 [281W/253L], Normal: 236W/236L
ZaberZ (Now:Bronze, S1:Gold), RankedSolo5x5: 1269 [0W/0L], Dominion: 2256 [547W/207L], Normal: 660W/553L
Forbiddian (Now:Bronze, S1:Unranked), RankedSolo5x5: 1330 [15W/10L], Dominion: 1911 [138W/90L], Normal: 194W/173L

Which do you want it ranking based on... RankedSolo5x5, Dominion, or Normal? Or the option for all 3? ...And what's an ELO?

Ahh, I see what you're asking. I'll use mine for an example.

"TheFeedski (Now:Bronze, S1:Bronze), RankedSolo5x5: 1254 [0W/0L], Dominion: 2189 [750W/566L], Normal: 624W/570L"

The username is "TheFeedski". "Dominion 2189" is the elo, and the W/L beside the elo is the win/loss for the map Dominion. Those are the only three things I am wanting.

This:

<?php

echo '<table border="1" cellspacing="0"><th>Username</th><th>ELO</th><th>Wins</th><th>Losses</th><th>Ratio</th>';

$fh = fopen('results.txt', 'r');
   while($line = fgets($fh))
   {
      // Remove any lines with no Dominion results
      if(strpos($line, 'Dominion: ') !== FALSE)
      {
         // Get the username - sometimes the line has '(Now:Bronze, S1:Silver)', sometimes not
         $username = (substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ' (Now:')) ?: substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ', ')));

preg_match('/Dominion: (.*)L]/', $line, $scores);
         $elo = substr($scores[1], 0, strpos($scores[1], ' ['));
         $wins = substr($scores[1], strlen($elo)+2, strpos($scores[1], 'W/')-strlen($elo)-2);
         $losses = substr($scores[1], strlen($elo)+strlen($wins)+4);
         $ratio = round($wins/$losses, 2);

echo "<tr><td>$username</td><td>$elo</td><td>$wins</td><td>$losses</td><td>$ratio</td></tr>";
      }
   }
   fclose($fh);

echo '</table>';

?>

Produces this:

post-176093-0-91717300-1329763931.png

Name it whatever.php - upload it to /public_html - and browse to http://www.dominatedominion.com/whatever.php

Maybe someone else can work on making it rank in order? Just a little busy myself at the moment, otherwise I'll work on it a bit more later tonight/tomorrow :)

Also, it could probably be significantly improved with the use of RegEx, but sadly that's not my fort?.

And with sortable headers:

<?php

echo '<table border="1" cellspacing="0"><th>#</th><th>Username</th><th><a href="' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?sort=elo">ELO</a></th><th><a href="' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?sort=wins">Wins</a></th><th><a href="' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?sort=losses">Losses</a></th><th><a href="' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?sort=ratio">Ratio</a></th>';

$i = 0;
   {
      {
         // For the username, sometimes the line has '(Now:Bronze, S1:Silver)', sometimes not
         $score[$i]['username'] = (substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ' (Now:')) ?: substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ', ')));
         $score[$i]['elo'] = substr($scores[1], 0, strpos($scores[1], ' ['));
         $score[$i]['wins'] = substr($scores[1], strlen($score[$i]['elo'])+2, strpos($scores[1], 'W/')-strlen($score[$i]['elo'])-2);
         $score[$i]['losses'] = substr($scores[1], strlen($score[$i]['elo'])+strlen($score[$i]['wins'])+4);
         $score[$i]['ratio'] = round($score[$i]['wins']/$score[$i]['losses'], 2);
         $i++;
      }
   }
   fclose($fh);

function mysort($a, $b)
   {
      // Define the default sort here (currently 'elo')
      $sort = ($_GET['sort'] != 'elo' && $_GET['sort'] != 'wins' && $_GET['sort'] != 'losses' && $_GET['sort'] != 'ratio') ? 'elo' : $_GET['sort'];
      return strnatcmp($b[$sort], $a[$sort]);
   }

usort($score, 'mysort');

$i = 1;
   foreach($score as $score)
   {
      echo '<tr><td>' . $i . '</td><td>' . $score['username'] . '</td><td>' . $score['elo'] . '</td><td>' . $score['wins'] . '</td><td>' . $score['losses'] . '</td><td>' . $score['ratio'] . '</td></tr>';
      $i++;
   }

echo '</table>';

?>

Like so:

post-176093-0-96044100-1329783674.png

I won't take offence if anyone wants to improve upon my code (obviously replace 'results.txt' with 'http://www.dominatedominion.com/results.txt' in the fopen) :)

• Like 1

Ok so here is the problem. So I use bluehost for my hosting, and I installed wordpress on my bluehost account. However, to edit my wordpress I don't even have to log into my bluehost. Is this going to be a problem? Can I still put this script like it is on wordpress? Because I don't just want a blank page with these numbers, I want to keep it looking like the rest of my site.

Ok so here is the problem. So I use bluehost for my hosting, and I installed wordpress on my bluehost account. However, to edit my wordpress I don't even have to log into my bluehost. Is this going to be a problem? Can I still put this script like it is on wordpress? Because I don't just want a blank page with these numbers, I want to keep it looking like the rest of my site.

No problem... the code just needs wrapping in a Widget. Copy this into a file called leaderboard.php

<?php

/*
   Plugin Name: Leaderboard
   Description: Dominion leaderboard
   Author: Alex Jones
   Version: 1.0.0
   Author URI: mailto:alexjones@myneowin.net
   */

function widget_leaderboard()
   {
      echo '<table border="1" cellspacing="0"><th>#</th><th>Username</th><th><a href="' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?sort=elo">ELO</a></th><th><a href="' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?sort=wins">Wins</a></th><th><a href="' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?sort=losses">Losses</a></th><th><a href="' . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . '?sort=ratio">Ratio</a></th>';

$i = 0;
      {
         {
            // For the username, sometimes the line has '(Now:Bronze, S1:Silver)', sometimes not
            $score[$i]['username'] = (substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ' (Now:')) ?: substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ', ')));
            $score[$i]['elo'] = substr($scores[1], 0, strpos($scores[1], ' ['));
            $score[$i]['wins'] = substr($scores[1], strlen($score[$i]['elo'])+2, strpos($scores[1], 'W/')-strlen($score[$i]['elo'])-2);
            $score[$i]['losses'] = substr($scores[1], strlen($score[$i]['elo'])+strlen($score[$i]['wins'])+4);
            $score[$i]['ratio'] = round($score[$i]['wins']/$score[$i]['losses'], 2);
            $i++;
         }
      }
      fclose($fh);

function mysort($a, $b)
      {
         // Define the default sort here (currently 'elo')
         $sort = ($_GET['sort'] != 'elo' && $_GET['sort'] != 'wins' && $_GET['sort'] != 'losses' && $_GET['sort'] != 'ratio') ? 'elo' : $_GET['sort'];
         return strnatcmp($b[$sort], $a[$sort]);
      }

usort($score, 'mysort');

$i = 1;
      foreach($score as $score)
      {
         echo '<tr><td>' . $i . '</td><td>' . $score['username'] . '</td><td>' . $score['elo'] . '</td><td>' . $score['wins'] . '</td><td>' . $score['losses'] . '</td><td>' . $score['ratio'] . '</td></tr>';
         $i++;
      }

echo '</table>';
   }

function leaderboard_init()
   {
      register_sidebar_widget(__('Leaderboard'), 'widget_leaderboard');
   }

add_action("plugins_loaded", "leaderboard_init");

?>

Then upload it to /public_html/wp-content/plugins

Next go to your WP admin dashboard, click on Plugins, and click Activate on the new 'Leaderboard' plugin.

Now go to Appearance > Widgets, and drag the new widget into (e.g.) your sidebar.

And now you'll have something like this:

post-176093-0-29939200-1329889203_thumb.

Font sizes can be fiddled with afterwards. If you get a load of errors like 'fopen failed to open results.txt/fgets expects 2 parameters/blah blah blah', then you just need to change the path to results.txt in: $fh = fopen('results.txt', 'r');

Finally, I haven't just put my 'plugin author info' there to be anal - it's required by WP, otherwise the plugin won't show up.

As usual, any issues and we're here to help! :)

You're awesome Alex. But when I clicked activate I got this error "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home2/dominau4/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/leaderboard.php on line 24".

You're awesome Alex. But when I clicked activate I got this error "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home2/dominau4/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/leaderboard.php on line 24".

Hey,

Nice easy error to fix. Quite simply, Bluehost must be running an old version of PHP on your server. Change this line:

To this:

$score[$i]['username'] = (substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ' (Now:')) ? substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ' (Now:')) : substr($line, 0, strpos($line, ', ')));

This ?: That is short-hand for, if This is true, show me This, otherwise show me That... but support for the short-hand ternary was only added in PHP5. So instead, you have to duplicate This so it becomes This ? This : That... if any of that made sense :p

Anyways, make that change and you should be good to go! :D

One more thing: if you get a load of fopen/fgets errors (like I mentioned in my last post), change 'results.txt' to '../results.txt'

Alex

Sorry for the late reply! I have been busy with test. It does work now that I changed that. But do you know if it is possible to have it in the middle instead of on the side?

Sorry for the late reply! I have been busy with test. It does work now that I changed that. But do you know if it is possible to have it in the middle instead of on the side?

Honestly, I don't know how to make a widget appear in the main content area. You could rewrite it so that it's a plugin instead of a widget, but that's a bit more work. Maybe one of the other WP experts could help you here... glad it works though! :)

Oh! Or is there a way I could add a field on the page that lets them type their username in to get added to the list? Can it be sent directly to players.txt somehow?

The best way to do this is to have a cron job setup on your Bluehost account to periodically dump all the usernames in the custom profile field of your forums. I can post the code you need to use, and how to set it up; but first I need these 2 bits of information.

-- 1)

Go to your phpBB admin panel

Click the Users and Groups tab

Then click Custom Profile Fields on the left side

Can you tell me what it says under 'Field identification'?

-- 2)

Still in your ACP, click the Maintenance tab

On the left side, under Database; click Backup

On the right you'll see a list of tables (Table select)... they'll all begin with a 'table prefix' (by default phpbb_)... can you tell me what it says before the underscore?

Alex :)

Honestly, I don't know how to make a widget appear in the main content area. You could rewrite it so that it's a plugin instead of a widget, but that's a bit more work. Maybe one of the other WP experts could help you here... glad it works though! :) The best way to do this is to have a cron job setup on your Bluehost account to periodically dump all the usernames in the custom profile field of your forums. I can post the code you need to use, and how to set it up; but first I need these 2 bits of information. -- 1) Go to your phpBB admin panel Click the Users and Groups tab Then click Custom Profile Fields on the left side Can you tell me what it says under 'Field identification'? -- 2) Still in your ACP, click the Maintenance tab On the left side, under Database; click Backup On the right you'll see a list of tables (Table select)... they'll all begin with a 'table prefix' (by default phpbb_)... can you tell me what it says before the underscore? Alex :)

It says "summoner_name" "usual_play_time" and "preferred_champs" and before the _ is says "phpbb"

Just wanted to write a quick post to let you know I'm gonna post the full info needed to get this working as soon as I can... my main dev PC crashed and having to restore everything slowly to another PC.

In the meantime if anyone else wants to write a PHP script to write the results of a MySQL query to a text file, then here's the start of it:

<?php

require_once('./forum/config.php');

$dh = mysqli_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpasswd, $dbname);
$res = mysqli_query($dh, "SELECT `pf_summoner_name` from `phpbb_profile_fields_data` WHERE `pf_summoner_name` != '' AND `pf_summoner_name` IS NOT NULL");

?>

This will then be called via a cron job as 'php -q /home2/dominau4/public_html/somefile.php'

<?

$fh = fopen('data.txt', 'w');

mysqli_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpasswd, $dbname);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT `pf_summoner_name` from `phpbb_profile_fields_data` WHERE `pf_summoner_name` != '' AND `pf_summoner_name` IS NOT NULL;");

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

$last = end($row);

foreach ($row as $item) {

fwrite($fh, $item);

if ($item != $last)
fwrite($fh, "\t");

}

fwrite($fh, "\n");
}

fclose($fh);
?>[/CODE]

Would that work?

<?

$fh = fopen('data.txt', 'w');

mysqli_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpasswd, $dbname);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT `pf_summoner_name` from `phpbb_profile_fields_data` WHERE `pf_summoner_name` != '' AND `pf_summoner_name` IS NOT NULL;");

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

$last = end($row);

foreach ($row as $item) {

fwrite($fh, $item);

if ($item != $last)
fwrite($fh, "\t");

}

fwrite($fh, "\n");
}

fclose($fh);
?>[/CODE]

Would that work?