• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Lumia 800 bricking

KomaWei    37

I recently been having problems with my lovely Lumia 800. One day it just died and wouldn't turn on for anything. I've googled for help and many many people have been experiencing problems with it. It wouldn't turn on, nor would it charge. But, today, it vibrated any time I plugged in the usb, and would just vibrating every couple of minutes. I hit the different buttons to reset it, turn it on, etc. Then I just plugged it into the computer with Zune open and it was asking me to restore my phone. So now I'm restoring it, even if I have lost everything. Hopefully, it will work again.

Anyone ever experienced this issue?

Edit: It failed at 58% and now won't do anything.

Sudakoma    2

I had the same problem with my partners Lumia 800 the other day after the battery was left to go totally flat. Normally when this happens, plugging it into the charger will bring it back to life but this time it was stuck at the black and white battery icon showing a tiny bit of red charge. After scouring the following thread over at Nokia support I finally managed to get it going but not without losing all photos and half the text messages on the phone. (Luckily all her photos are stored on Skydrive)

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/Lumia-800-wont-power-on-or-charge/td-p/1225979

At first nothing seemed to work, tried all combinations of pressing buttons etc and after getting the vibrations a few times, it went back to just showing the battery icon. The thing that seemed to work was warming the handset up and pressing and holding the camera button. This eventually brought up the 'connect to PC' icon, which i did, which prompted Zune to open and restore the handset. The restore failed at 99% and it went back to the battery icon again. On the third attempt the restore succeeded and the handset came back to life but had lost a lot of info.

It seems to be a common problem caused by the battery totally draining and not even having enough power to reboot itself. Hopefully Nokia will be looking into this problem and it can be fixed with a future update. Good luck and let us know if you manage to get your working!

KomaWei    37

I haven't had no luck with it. :(

DevilsNotDead    9

I have the same problem too.... It just sucks... I wish i have not got the Lumia phones.

Do other series of Lumia have similar issues or was it just 800?

alexalex    75

I had the same problem with my partners Lumia 800 the other day after the battery was left to go totally flat. Normally when this happens, plugging it into the charger will bring it back to life but this time it was stuck at the black and white battery icon showing a tiny bit of red charge. After scouring the following thread over at Nokia support I finally managed to get it going but not without losing all photos and half the text messages on the phone. (Luckily all her photos are stored on Skydrive)

http://discussions.e...ge/td-p/1225979

At first nothing seemed to work, tried all combinations of pressing buttons etc and after getting the vibrations a few times, it went back to just showing the battery icon. The thing that seemed to work was warming the handset up and pressing and holding the camera button. This eventually brought up the 'connect to PC' icon, which i did, which prompted Zune to open and restore the handset. The restore failed at 99% and it went back to the battery icon again. On the third attempt the restore succeeded and the handset came back to life but had lost a lot of info.

It seems to be a common problem caused by the battery totally draining and not even having enough power to reboot itself. Hopefully Nokia will be looking into this problem and it can be fixed with a future update. Good luck and let us know if you manage to get your working!

It is a hardware problem not a software that can be fixed by a software update.

The Teej    203

This happened to me once. It kind of just started working again. I recommend plugging in via the mains, USB via PC doesn't seem to play as nicely I've noticed (for charging, anyway).

All I can say is, when leaving it on mains charge, see if you can turn it on and keep doing that. If it keeps turning on and off just let it do its thing, that's what I do.

KomaWei    37

Well, it does vibrate when I plug it up to a charge (pc and wall). Just doesn't do anything more than that. When I plug it into the computer. It says something like Nokia DLoad. I get a bunch of yellow triangles. If I asked for update driver. Says it cannot find drivers. I contacted Nokia. They want my IMEI, but I lost the box part that has it, and since my phone isn't working. I cannot get the IMEI from that. I wish there was some other way.

Zain Adeel    197

i was gonna say remove the battery cover to get the IMEI buttttt...... no battery covers.

You will need to take the phone to Nokia Care

KomaWei    37

Well they won't let me until I get the IMEI. US doesn't have the 800 yet, so I'm screwed.

Coolicer    20

Well they won't let me until I get the IMEI. US doesn't have the 800 yet, so I'm screwed.

As far as I know, the IMEI number must also be printen on the box of the phone. If you still have the box, there should be a white sticker with the barcode and lots of other numbers on it.

Zain Adeel    197

opss...

why dont u try jailbreaking it somehow?

Get it to run.

Oh no custom ROMs for the Lumia :(

guess ull have to talk to them on the forum

Ask the Nokia forums guys to send u some software.

They have special softwares that they install and connect the phone to it to get info like IMEI and other stuff.

KomaWei    37

I got the IMEI. It's under the SIM slot holder on a tiny sticker. xP. I get the contact, imei, and problem to them. Hopefully, they fix it, or I'm stuck with a brick phone.

Sudakoma    2

And you know this how? Do you have a source?

Mr. Gibs    3,865
Affected Products or Services

RM-801, Lumia 800

Introduction

PR1.1 has been available for end users to update via Zune since mid January.

We have discovered that after the Zune update to PR1.1 (software version 1600.2483.8106.11500, see SR2546 for more info) when the battery is drained there is a possibility that a device can?t turn on even though it has been charged. This bulletin provides potential solutions to address this.

Bulletin Content

Devices potentially affected: All units updated via Zune to PR1.1 (see SR2546 for more details). PR1.1 factory units are not known at this time to be affected.

Scope of Issue: After the PR1.1 Zune update when the battery is emptied and the device shuts off, even after a prolonged period of charging with a compatible charger (eg. AC-16, AC-10) the device will remain off and the end user is unable to turn on their device.

Please try the following methods to Turn On the device (note these are all potential solutions):

1) Connect/Disconnect the device to the charger a few times

2) Do a Reset (press and hold the power button for ~10 seconds)

3) Plug the device to a PC using a USB cable and keep it there for 20 minutes

1. Get the following software: http://www.symbian-t...m/navifirm.aspx and http://www.seidea.co...011-51-2-63048/

2. Install them, and just in case go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Drivers and install the WinUSB Drivers and Fuse Drivers

3. Run Navifirm.

4. Select Nokia 800 (rm-801) from the left side.

5. Select release 1600.2483.8107.11501

6. Find the variant that matches your color / country (Doesn't matter which one tbh, the only difference is the apps and start screen logo otherwise they're identical)

7. Download it.

8. Follow this guide: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1457341

Alternatively, since it seems this is a problem with devices that have been upgraded to FW 11500, you might want to download the older .11451 firmware (point 5 in my checklist above). You'll lose some battery life but at least it won't brick.

neo158    281

Really, I suppose you have a source for that and not just trolling like usual?

~Johnny    397

Really, I suppose you have a source for that and not just trolling like usual?

He can't answer right now, his profile says he's banned...

It does seem however in most cases to be software problem (bad firmware) that causes it to be unable to turn on, though of course there'll always be a few dud units out there.

Noveed    21

Happened to me a few times Battery indicator with a small red charge ...

I leave it plugged into USB for about 5-10 minutes. Then unplug, Hold Power. It turns on then once its on the home screen I plug USB back in then charge to full.

Already using the latest update ... kinda not happy with nokia about this.

Mr. Gibs    3,865

Happened to me a few times Battery indicator with a small red charge ...

I leave it plugged into USB for about 5-10 minutes. Then unplug, Hold Power. It turns on then once its on the home screen I plug USB back in then charge to full.

Already using the latest update ... kinda not happy with nokia about this.

If you can stand to have a bit less battery life, flash a 11451 firmware. Follow the guide I posted on the previous page though instead of point 8 do the following (and of course instead of 11501 get 11451):

1. Once you got all the files downloaded from Navifirm, go to the download folder and copy the files you downloaded into a folder called rm-801 which is in a folder called Products:

So if you downloaded the firmware to the default location of navifirm, your folder structure should look like this:

C:\NaviFirm+ 1.7\Fw\059J3G0\Products\rm-801\*Files you downloaded go here*

2. Run Nokia product support tool ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0 ).

3. Go to file -> settings and change the package download path to "C:\NaviFirm+ 1.7\Fw\059J3G0\Products" (or wherever you saved those files)

4. Go to file -> open product and select rm-801 from the list

5. Plug your phone in and it should be detected

6. Check the bottom right corner of the product support tool, the cube should be green. If it isn't click on it and click rescan. If it still doesn't turn green then either your folder structure is wrong or check the next bit of this terribadly written guide.

7. Go to programming -> refurbish and then click start. Let it run (will take about 10 mins)

8. Voila your phone is now flashed with the previous firmware.

---

Ok if the cube doesn't turn green and the folder structure is correct you've downloaded the firmware for a different product code. Not a big deal since technically the firmwares are all exactly the same, the difference is just the apps and carrier stuff that comes pre-installed with it. Now you can either go and download the correct firmware or just rename the files you downloaded:

1. To find out your lumia 800 product code, plug your phone in with the support tool open. Now on the right side of the program there should be a section called Phone Information. Your product code will be listed below it.

2. Now if you want to redownload, go back to navifirm and find the firmware variant that matches your product code. If you want to rename, open the folder with the files you downloaded and rename the bold parts of the following files with your nokia's product code (the one you found out in step 1)

RM801_059J3G0_1600.2479.7740.11451_004_signature.bin

RM801_11w45_1_059J3G0_label.xml

RM801_059J3G0_1600.2479.7740.11451_004.dcp

RM801_059J3G0_1600.2479.7740.11451_004.vpl

RM801_11w45_1_059J3G0_label.pcx

3. Go back to step 6 of the previous terribadly written guide.

---

You can also use the same method to flash newly released firmwares if you can't be bothered to wait for the update to pop up on Zune.