Journey (PS3) Reviews

Why are the reviews out early in this case? Was so looking forward to playing later when I got home. This is one of my most anticipated games. Sucks we gotta wait for it :cry:

So you feel that $15 isn't worth the experience? Sometimes I don't understand peoples logic. Some people consider that $/?40 is a good value for a day watching the football in a pub. This may last 3-4 hours, but can you ever get back to it? Sometimes people look at games and don't realise what they give them in life. Not saying every game is worth the premium, but judging by the reviews this one is.

How I feel as well.

The comparison I always use (and have used way to many times on these forums :laugh: ) is I am willing to basically pay $15 for a 2 hour movie (it is actually $13 for a night time ticket), which is a passive experience as I am only watching it. Not only that but if it is in the actual theater, I cannot go back and watch it again, I would have to pay another $15. So speaking of it in that terms, $15-$20 seems about the price I think DVD's or BluRays should go for. And I have no issues paying for them when it is a movie I want to own. So I feel exactly the same for games, and if not more so, as where movies are a passive experience, games are an active participant experience. So in a way I believe they actually have more value. But if people see it differently that is their right to do so, I just personally feel there is not much of a difference.

And as I said earlier in the thread, I would rather play a 2 hour brilliant game than an 8 hour okay game any day. My personal belief on playing games is it is not ultimately about how many hours the game provides, but the experience the game provides once the game is over.

• Like 1

And as I said earlier in the thread, I would rather play a 2 hour brilliant game than an 8 hour okay game any day. My personal belief on playing games is it is not ultimately about how many hours the game provides, but the experience the game provides once the game is over.

I used to think the other way about, but times have changed. Soo many games released this generation that clog up my ever growing pile of shame. Titles that are artificially bloated end up gathering dust and not being fully completed.

It's taken my pile of unfinished games to hit what it has for me to realize, I really do only complete great games (usually titles a bit shorter than the rest) within the time I have.

How I feel as well.

The comparison I always use (and have used way to many times on these forums :laugh: ) is I am willing to basically pay $15 for a 2 hour movie (it is actually $13 for a night time ticket), which is a passive experience as I am only watching it. Not only that but if it is in the actual theater, I cannot go back and watch it again, I would have to pay another $15. So speaking of it in that terms, $15-$20 seems about the price I think DVD's or BluRays should go for. And I have no issues paying for them when it is a movie I want to own. So I feel exactly the same for games, and if not more so, as where movies are a passive experience, games are an active participant experience. So in a way I believe they actually have more value. But if people see it differently that is their right to do so, I just personally feel there is not much of a difference.

Same thoughts on games. I want quality, not quantity. I also don't have as much free time as I used to, and when I do, it is few and far inbetween, in which games just don't have the same impact if they take me months to finish. By that time, I've moved on to something else. I now look for games that I can actually finish. And if it is a good game, 2 hours is just fine.

I'm just hoping you can actually invite others into your game. My gf wants to play this, and I would love to be able to roam around with her as my partner in the game.

I used to think the other way about, but times have changed. Soo many games released this generation that clog up my ever growing pile of shame. Titles that are artificially bloated end up gathering dust and not being fully completed.

It's taken my pile of unfinished games to hit what it has for me to realize, I really do only complete great games (usually titles a bit shorter than the rest) within the time I have.

Same thoughts on games. I want quality, not quantity. I also don't have as much free time as I used to, and when I do, it is few and far inbetween, in which games just don't have the same impact if they take me months to finish. By that time, I've moved on to something else. I now look for games that I can actually finish. And if it is a good game, 2 hours is just fine.

I'm just hoping you can actually invite others into your game. My gf wants to play this, and I would love to be able to roam around with her as my partner in the game.

Pretty sure that is not the case, that you do not pick what games you join, you just join them, with no ways of actual communication whatsoever. IIRC that was all intentional.

So in a nutshell you guys get it... getting old sucks. :laugh:

But you make due with the time you do get, hence why I personally now like shorter better games. They fit my personal schedule better. I have already cleared it with my wife, either tomorrow or Wednesday night the downstairs TV is mine to play, and hopefully beat, Journey. Even more bizarre at this point in time I am truly hoping it can be beat in just a few hours. I really want to sit down and in one night play an amazing experience from start to finish.

With that said believe me, I wish I had nothing more than time to play a game like a Skyrim or a Mass Effect 3. But literally if I tried to play either, it would probably be around June if I ever did beat them, and chances are I never would, as just like Shakey I tend to move on to something else by that point.

As Larry there mentioned, the game chooses who you join up with. The only real chance of you guys playing together would be to start it up and perhaps both go to a certain spot and hope it syncs you two up. I had a great experience when I played in the beta with other people, so I'm really hoping the full game lives up to what I've come to expect.

Have it all installed now and I'm really excited to play it but didn't want to start it tonight and get stuck playing it too late. Plan on giving it a whirl tomorrow night right when I get home which should leave me with roughly 4 hours to play with. Hoping that from what I've read that'll be enough to make it through in one sitting as I am someone who enjoys exploring.

Have it all installed now and I'm really excited to play it but didn't want to start it tonight and get stuck playing it too late. Plan on giving it a whirl tomorrow night right when I get home which should leave me with roughly 4 hours to play with. Hoping that from what I've read that'll be enough to make it through in one sitting as I am someone who enjoys exploring.

Won't be getting it till tomorrow on the EU refresh. Got excited when I saw you had downloaded and that your location was Halifax. Sadly it's not the same one as in the UK! :( Enjoy the game.

Also downloaded it and installed it last night, but was to late to start playing, even if it is a 2 hour game. Am pretty sure I get to play it tonight uninterrupted, so very much looking forward to checking it out.

OH **** ITS OUT! Buying it today during lunch, and playing it tonight. Ah, what a good Hump Day :)

For + members it is out a week early. Pretty sure you are one though IIRC. If not, sorry to get your hopes up!

For + members it is out a week early. Pretty sure you are one though IIRC. If not, sorry to get your hopes up!

Oh na, I am a + member. Always thought it was worth it, and today just confirms my beliefs :) Played about 10 minutes so far, and loving this.... All I can think about though, is how much I want a Samurai Jack game to look like this... This art style just screams Genndy Tartakovsky!

Downloading now but unfortunately the girlfriend and her daughter are over tonight, guess will play tomorrow.

I actually canceled my ME3 order because 1) still working through ME2 - spouse and I have crazy work schedules and we have the kid and dog, 2) been playing a lot of golf lately so game time is chewed up, 3) recently played through Flower and enjoyed the HELL out of it. So, yes, Larry, I am getting older and more responsible with my time!! I really liked the preview vids, looks like a great sit down and play with limited time game.

Will be getting it today and once all my fatherly-husbandly duties are done I'll turn it on. I'm really looking forward to the soundtrack, seems to be thatgamecompany's strongest point in their games (other than the simple yet endearing gameplay).

Yes, play this with the lights out, volume up, and in a nice and comfy position. This game is very atmospheric and has great noises. Can't get over the sand effects as well. Just very well done in every aspect that I've seen so far.... I just can't get over how Samurai Jack this is.... it's like I'm playing in one of my favorite cartoons universe.

So here is my take after an hour of playing during my lunch break.

Graphics are great. Has a cartoonish look, but everything is very well done. You can make out things far off in the distance, though there are a few jaggies that rear their head.

Music and atmosphere is epic. It really sets the tone that this is a planet that is void of life, yet used to thrive. You get a feeling that there isn't much left on this planet, but that not all hope is lost, if you just keep moving forward.

While it is a pretty open world, there are boundries. These are invisible though most of the time, and are enforced by a heavy heavy wind, that makes the sand dunes ripple and push you back, in a tidelwave of sand. It is a sight to be seen, and I found myself often just going to the edge of some of the areas just to see the effect over and over agian.

Movement is easy. There are only 2 buttons to really control. You can speak via holding down O and having this *ping* type sound go out, and you can jump by pressing X , which requires cloth/cards? , but there are plenty around that will refill your scarf. Other than that, you basically auto jump onto small ledges, slide down sand dunes, run around, and pan the camera. You can do a sort of double jump by pressing and holding O to gather cards around you, which in turn when they come onto you, will sort of float you upward, then you can press X while in that state, and get more height to your jump. In some areas, you can actually just press and hold O quick enough to keep the cards on you and keep flight, its really cool and fun when done right.

The real kicker is, meeting another journier?... My first encounter was in the second area. I was just running around exploring, when I see this *ping* in the distance. We both run to each other, like long lost lovers, pressing O over and over making ping sounds. When we got to each other, we held down O to sort of do a loud YAY :p . From then on, me and this other fellow roamed together. There is no talking, just 2 wanderers, pinging and flying around, trying to solve the landscape and puzzles. I don't know if it is the lack of communication, or the isolation the atmosphere provides... but finding another person and playing with them in this world is very satisfying. I found a hidden area where you get an extension to your scarf, but the other guy was on another part of the area. I ran to him, did a sort of Lassie *ping*, walk, *ping*, walk, *ping* ... to get his attention, then showed him how and where to go. It was very rewarding, because you feel like you are both in this together.

Sadly, upon either the 3rd or 4th area, my lunch out ended and I had to quit. Not sure how far I got, but I had a complete blast. I'm so eager for closing time to come and for me to get back into the Journey :)

So here is my take after an hour of playing during my lunch break.

Graphics are great. Has a cartoonish look, but everything is very well done. You can make out things far off in the distance, though there are a few jaggies that rear their head.

Music and atmosphere is epic. It really sets the tone that this is a planet that is void of life, yet used to thrive. You get a feeling that there isn't much left on this planet, but that not all hope is lost, if you just keep moving forward.

While it is a pretty open world, there are boundries. These are invisible though most of the time, and are enforced by a heavy heavy wind, that makes the sand dunes ripple and push you back, in a tidelwave of sand. It is a sight to be seen, and I found myself often just going to the edge of some of the areas just to see the effect over and over agian.

Movement is easy. There are only 2 buttons to really control. You can speak via holding down O and having this *ping* type sound go out, and you can jump by pressing X , which requires cloth/cards? , but there are plenty around that will refill your scarf. Other than that, you basically auto jump onto small ledges, slide down sand dunes, run around, and pan the camera. You can do a sort of double jump by pressing and holding O to gather cards around you, which in turn when they come onto you, will sort of float you upward, then you can press X while in that state, and get more height to your jump. In some areas, you can actually just press and hold O quick enough to keep the cards on you and keep flight, its really cool and fun when done right.

The real kicker is, meeting another journier?... My first encounter was in the second area. I was just running around exploring, when I see this *ping* in the distance. We both run to each other, like long lost lovers, pressing O over and over making ping sounds. When we got to each other, we held down O to sort of do a loud YAY :p . From then on, me and this other fellow roamed together. There is no talking, just 2 wanderers, pinging and flying around, trying to solve the landscape and puzzles. I don't know if it is the lack of communication, or the isolation the atmosphere provides... but finding another person and playing with them in this world is very satisfying. I found a hidden area where you get an extension to your scarf, but the other guy was on another part of the area. I ran to him, did a sort of Lassie *ping*, walk, *ping*, walk, *ping* ... to get his attention, then showed him how and where to go. It was very rewarding, because you feel like you are both in this together.

Sadly, upon either the 3rd or 4th area, my lunch out ended and I had to quit. Not sure how far I got, but I had a complete blast. I'm so eager for closing time to come and for me to get back into the Journey :)

... That's it, I'm forking over the money!

You also get a "dynamic" theme when you purchase the game for "free", which is really just the art work for the game, which pans out from a central point, and changes to different frames. Very neat though.

Played the first 15 minutes or so then my controller died :angry:

Once I get my son to bed I'll spend some more time with it tonight. Love the graphics and the setting, but I admit I have no idea what I'm doing! I'm traversing the desert, using a scarf to jump or fly. And its freaking cool!

Just finished Journey.

The name is indeed appropriate.

It truly does transcend what a video game is known as. It sounds corny, but it is very true.

I would actually label it more as interactive art than a video game honestly. As such, it is definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

In fact I am sure some people will absolutely hate it.

Personally, I loved it. Truly, truly loved it.

First off visually, I really do not think it gets any better.

The feeling of weight they were able to achieve, perhaps the best physics I have ever played in a game. So simple yet so complex.

And the sand. Just utterly amazing.

Also possibly some of the best sound ever. It plays such an important role it is not even funny.

Just yeah. An absolute experience in every sense of that word. Again, a Journey.

I actually did most of it with someone else. We were in tune after just a few minutes. They would just occasionally get ahead of me as I was finding everything I could. They would then wind up backtracking to also find what I just found. Although they were always ahead, I felt like the leader of the two of us. I am sure they felt otherwise.

I literally only have one "observation" if you will, and it contains a HUGE SPOILER. So do not read until you have beaten the game.

I actually feel as if the game might have had an even deeper impact if they ended it where you appear to die in the snow. It would have conveyed of feeling of so close, yet so far. I also feel it would have been easier to place a finger on the overall concept of the experience. As I am pretty positive it was all a metaphor for life itself, and I just feel as if that would have really made that whole premise incredibly concrete. Then again the way it did end, I kind of think that the sequence after that was meant to represent the afterlife.

At least that is what I got out of it all once it was all said and done.

This is, as of now, as close to art as it gets. I plan on playing it again, but not for quite some time.

Unique. Contemplative. Thought Provoking. Somber. Exhilarating. Visceral.

Just a few words that come to mind when trying to summarize what Journey is as an experience.

I truly feel if anyone is interested in what else video games can represent as a medium, you need to play this game.

And as cliched as it is going to sound, even more perhaps appropriate, you need to take this Journey.

• Like 1

It's all downloaded and I had a quick 5 minute blast last night before bed. Will be hitting it hard tonight and hopefully finishing it as well. Seems that once again TGC have created something that people will either love or hate, but those that love it will cherish the experience.

As per usual comments on YouTube for videos of this game come from the moronic generation where if you can't "shoot it in the face" then the game must be rubbish. Shame that some people can't look away from violence once in a while and try something else.

Great game, but it is very short. I thought another 30 mins would have helped. However production values were through the roof on the visuals/sound (Y) Impressive work for a small team. Definitely their most impressive title so far.

I played it through with 3 other people in total, although 1 of them for most of the game. The last 1/3rd is truly great with a partner, really shows you how their idea of co-op actually works. There were moments of sadness, happiness and a sense of achievement in such a short, veiled off co-op experience. I guess that shows how the game really does succeed, you manage to feel such things.

I only got two trophies! I'll be having another journey or two :)

Some co-op touches that stood out

First time you come across another player

Sitting down at the end of a "level" with another player

When one player helps the other find a "scarf extender" :p

When one, or both of you get attacked and lose some of your scarf

Fighting against the blizzard and having one person get blown back

Walking really slow at the end of the blizzard before collapsing

Your weakened "shout" when in the blizzard

I did notice the game follows a fairly similar structure to flower, and the nods to

flOw

were nice.

I will admit it's definitely a game for one sitting, heck even a certain trophy highlights this. So on that notion, being much longer would prevent this from being possible for some players. I myself even had a break, but that was more a necessity than a choice.

The ending I felt was very well done. I loved that feeling of hopelessness... that feeling as Larry said of, "so close but so far". And having another person there, was just making it so much more emotional. I felt like if I could make get close enough, maybe our powers would help us a little more. I also loved how you slowly got to that state, as you run through the final area. I was like, "My scarf is going away..." and making chirps that you could barely hear.

I think what is really grand, is the lack of communication. I had a part right past the wind tunnel, where you start going up the ledge. Me and my partner went a different path to try and find something, and ended up falling down to the beginning of the wind tunnel again. Now, all we can do is chirp... but what you get to imagine those chirps to be, is what makes it so unique. You make the dialogue and emotions up. So while you are playing this story, it sort of becomes your story.

Going to play through this again tonight. Really loved it.

Finished downloading. Not a large file (0.5GB approx).

Haven't spent much time yet. Just some minutes. Had to go for something.

This game has got to be one of the most gorgeous things ever made. My eyes, they cannot believe what they are seeing!