The Official PDC 2003 Thread

one can assume you got click happy and posted that video link .. had you just got done watching it from that site.. you would have uttered the words "God that 1.4 meg wmv sucked ass" and would not have posted it

hehe :)

Guys...this -is- aero. It isn't in the PDC bits, but all the 'samples' on the MSDN site, pictures taken during keynotes etc are Aero. There was a great discussion within Microsoft from all accounts as to whether or not to put Aero in the PDC bits. They decided not to, so we're left with various pictures & video.

We got a long way to go still...

why does it look like the theme in PDC build then? :/ and if that crap is aero, gees, its a big disappointment :/

//I just took a look of those screenshots again, the font they use seems... familiar :blink: it's like myraid or something. but i might be wrong :huh: (i believe in panther, apple use myraid? :ninja: )

Edited by session

why does it look like the theme in PDC build then:/:/ and if that crap is aero, gees, its a big disappointmen:/:/

It enhances the theme. The PDC bits include the DCE, just not Aero.

Don't get all hungup on what it looks like. The key is what it is capable of doing. The demos given during the keynote is Microsoft's public implementation to sample where they are going with this.

nope it still has problems with the nForce NIC, after installation of nForce drivers, it does show up but it states device has problems blah blah blah.....

we'll just have to wait till it hits beta stage.

bah I was hoping that would get fixed. Oh well no biggie I'll just look at a later build once it does go beta and have fun then.

It enhances the theme. The PDC bits include the DCE, just not Aero.

Don't get all hungup on what it looks like. The key is what it is capable of doing. The demos given during the keynote is Microsoft's public implementation to sample where they are going with this.

Let me add that you don't really get a sense for things in static shots like we've seen. You aren't seeing the animations of windows maximizing, or programs opening.

uhm watch the video... thats aero not the screenshots. there is no screenshots of aero as far as i know. And the vid is shi** quality so u can't really tell. wait till tomorrow or later. and then u'll see what MS is talking about.

and boo@ iPod. I already synch'd to my Pocket PC so I could read in style (ClearType) and/or listen to music if I wish. I'm so not into single-purpose handheld devices anymore.

LOL, I guess in a way, the iPod is a 'single purpose' handheld device, as much as the typical mobile phone on the market in England today. I mean, i bought it, because i wanted an Digital music player (...and it IS the best!), but the fact i have my Calendars, Contacts, Notes (Daily RSS Feeds via "Pod2Go"), and any other notes i wish to sync, makes it quite a bit more than what i'd typically call a 'single purpose' device. It really is a beautiful thing, especially when a Pocket PC doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Anyhow, enough about that! I was too tired to read all that stuff about Aero, and the PDC keynote, i'mma shut the hell up, until i do. :p heh

SWEEEET, just got done looking at them. sad that we have to wait till sept'04 for beta.

::edit:: whoops time difference... :whistle:

cool shots

love the transparency effect

Edited by EnIgMa-PenGuIn

looking at the video, i love the fade-in when opening a window. also when logging was it aero that did the fade to the desktop?

I really nice page on MSDN with some good pictures is

http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/default...e_patientdb.asp

Looks like being a developer for the windows platform is going to get a whole lot nicer(visually).

That isn't what the VS is going to look like (color wise, etc.). Everyone at PDC has said it is a "Frosted Glass" opaque look as in the Aero Rock video.

And if you watch the Amazon.com video, you really get to see what Aero is capable of (Rolodex type browsing).

Here is more proof: Longhorn Desktop Video

Oh and here are screenshots:

pdc2003_avalon_keynote_01.jpg

pdc2003_avalon_keynote_08.jpg

and plenty of others from Paul Thurrott's Wonder Site

Edited by Jstphish