Adding a dedicated graphics card to HP probook 4530s

Koshur

Hi

I have an HP Probook 4530s

i7,2630QM, Quad Core,

8GB Ram

Intel HD 3000 as graphics.

Can i add a dedicated graphics card in this if it has the required slots? Also will it also adjust for the power requirements if its possible ?

Is this possible to do firstly?

Biohead

As a rule of thumb with laptops, if it comes with integrated graphics, you're stuck with integrated graphics.

Wakers

That won't have a slot for a graphics card.

Laptops will let you upgrade memory and often hard drives, but I struggle to think of even a gaming laptop that will let you swap graphics chips - let alone a model that doesn't even have one installed to begin with.

c3ntury

It's possible, but frankly, it's a pain in the arse.

ShMaunder

This probably will require a soldering gun, a new BIOS and a new cooling system - not worth it.

neufuse

at one point there was an idea for swappable graphics cards on laptops, dont think it ever really took off though

Koshur

:/ :( :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

rkenshin

neufuse, you beat me to it. I was going to ask whatever happened to that.

Wakers

Didn't someone launch an external graphics card or some such?

They were incredibly expensive, incredibly inefficient solutions from what I remember seeing of them.

S550

There are adapters for some machines that allow use of a regular desktop GPU.

Koshur

There are adapters for some machines that allow use of a regular desktop GPU.

Are they out in market?? Can they work for my laptop? DO u mean Express slot or something similar?

S550

Some use express slots, others use docking ports. There aren't many though.

neufuse

I guess you could kinda blame Apple, their push towards small non-changable items kinda killed it... everyone wanted to be smaller and have less options (OEM wise)

tsupersonic

This is why you do your research before you buy the laptop...You don't ever want to consider upgrading anything in the laptop, unless it involves memory or a HDD/SSD.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
willpower101

This thread has a lot of mis-information and links from google. So I created an account to help educated those that come hear and read this bad info.

There are two types of chips in laptops: A socketed chip, and a BGA or ball grid array. BGA chips are typically what you find in game consoles, netbooks, apple systems, desktop north and south bridges, on board memory, video cards, etc. They have hundreds of tiny solder balls, directly soldered onto the board like this. http://img.tfd.com/cde/_BGA.GIF

Now, In most laptops BGA's are the default for the video card, but there are many exceptions to this as well as some interesting options.

Also it's important to note that tsupersonic and others are incorrect about upgrades on a laptop. There are several things you can upgrade easily, just like in a desktop, including the processor, sometimes the video card, the keyboard, and the display.

Laptop processors are rarely BGA and a quick jaunt over to the specsheets linked on wikipedia will tell you which are and which aren't. With this in mind, you can upgrade any laptop processor to any other laptop processor assuming the socket and fsb match, JUST like in a pc. I'm currently running a 2ghz T7200 @ 667fsb (the max supported on this laptop's chipset) upgraded from a 533fsb t5200 @ 1.6ghz. They're simply both socket M.

Another example of this is my roomate's probook 4530s. It came stock with a core i5 and we upgraded him to a QUAD core i7 2730QM, simply required popping off the back case, heat sync, and new thermal paste.

Display upgrades are also pretty common. Little do most know, there are only a grand total of maybe 10 major LCD Panel component manufacturers and many of them are interchangeable. Also, the connectors are actually ISO standardized, so there are only a few different connectors and they are indeed interchangeable as long as your video card supports the resolution and refresh rate of the panel.

But this thread was originally about video cards, so lets focus on that.

There is INDEED a swappable and upgradeable video card alive and kicking in several machines.

These are called MXM cards, or Mobile PCI Express Module.

You can see plenty of them on ebay and just buy your upgrade if you have the slot for it http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mxm+card&_sacat=175673&_odkw=mxm&_osacat=175673

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module#2nd_generation_configurations_.28MXM_3.29

Now, the 4530s is an interesting beast...

It seems that people around here don't realize that sandy bridge mobile chipsets actually contain the video card ON the die of the processor. It's speculated by many that ivey bridge upgrades to the same slot should be able to support a video upgrade.

As for the on-board, or 'discrete' graphics card, the hp probook series, like many others, have a standard BGA chip for the NVIDIA GPU. There is one way to upgrade though... And not, you don't have the tools to solder a BGA chip, look up the cost of a reflow station. You can swap motherboards with one that has the supported card. Keep everything else, including your processor, and just find a mobo on ebay with the nvidia gpu.

Now, some people mentioned external video card adapters!

There is a thing called eGPU that is so big it's even got it's own sub-forum over at notebookreview.com

The layman's guide is here http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5846&review=how+to+upgrade+laptop+graphics+notebook

But the real technical thread, with over 1000 pages when you're not signed in, is right here http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/418851-diy-egpu-experiences.html

and guess what laptop is on the list of successful eGPU mods?

A 4530s.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
support@theimagenarypress.

-Resident One Post Wonder

I just want to say I registered with neowin.net just to acknowledge you and your excellent response/write-up on answering the question of upgrading the graphics on an HP Probook 4530s. Wow, thank you for doing such great research and laying it out in such an easy and enjoyable format for reading. You are truly a great being. (quote from the story of Jumping Mouse from "Seven Arrows.")

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      GPU-Z 2.38.0
      by Razvan Serea

GPU-Z is a lightweight system utility designed to provide vital information about your video card and graphics processor. At launch, it automatically scans your system and reports the card name, GPU, release date and transistors, BIOS version, ROPs, memory type, and memory size.

Main Features:

Supports NVIDIA, AMD, ATI and Intel graphics devices Displays adapter, GPU and display information Displays overclock, default clocks and 3D clocks (if available) Includes a GPU load test to verify PCI-Express lane configuration Validation of results GPU-Z can create a backup of your graphics card BIOS No installation required, optional installer is available Support for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported) GPU-Z 2.38.0 changelog:

Fixed BIOS saving on AMD RDNA2 cards. BIOSes saved with old GPU-Z versions are only 512 KB and will brick your card when flashed PCI-Express Resizable BAR status is now displayed in the main window Added support for negative temperature monitoring on NVIDIA Added support for AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, RX 6700, RX 6600 XT, RX 6600, Lucienne APU integrated graphics Added support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile

Download page: GPU-Z 2.38.0 | 6.9 MB (Freeware)
      View: GPU-Z Website

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      GPU-Z 2.37.0
      by Razvan Serea

GPU-Z is a lightweight system utility designed to provide vital information about your video card and graphics processor. At launch, it automatically scans your system and reports the card name, GPU, release date and transistors, BIOS version, ROPs, memory type, and memory size.

Main Features:

Supports NVIDIA, AMD, ATI and Intel graphics devices Displays adapter, GPU and display information Displays overclock, default clocks and 3D clocks (if available) Includes a GPU load test to verify PCI-Express lane configuration Validation of results GPU-Z can create a backup of your graphics card BIOS No installation required, optional installer is available Support for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported) GPU-Z 2.37.0 changelog:

Added memory vendor detection on Navi 1x and Navi 2x Added workaround for NVIDIA Ampere PCIe hardware bug Added filter to avoid misreadings on EVGA iCX Fixed fake detection for some GT218 variants Improved Russian translation Added preliminary support for Radeon RX 6700 and RX 6600 Series Added support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, RTX 3080 Mobile, RTX 3070 Mobile, RTX 3060 Mobile, RTX A6000, A40, A100-SXM4-40GB, Drive PX2, P106M, Quadro K510M, modded Quadro K6000 Added support for additional variants of NVIDIA GTX 1650 Max-Q, Quadro P1000, GTX 650, GT 430 Added support for AMD Cezanne, Radeon Pro V520, R9 290X ES, Barco MXRT 2600 Added support for Intel Comet Lake Graphics (Celeron 5205U and i7-10810U) Added vendor detection for Yeston Download page: GPU-Z 2.37.0 | 6.9 MB (Freeware)

• By indospot
      Nvidia is requiring OEMs to specify the power levels of its mobile GPUs
      by João Carrasqueira

Nvidia will now require manufacturers to specify what variant of its GeForce RTX 30 series mobile GPUs is being used in a given PC model, the company has said in a statement to The Verge. The move is meant to help consumers understand the level of performance and power consumption they can expect from a PC.

If you've paid attention to gaming laptops in recent years, you may have noticed that Nvidia's mobile GPUs often come with a Max-Q label, but that doesn't always happen. Max-Q is the designation Nvidia uses to refer to its design and technology approach that allows graphics cards to achieve their highest possible performance while staying within certain power or heat limits on laptops.

OEMs can either opt for more power-efficient versions of the GPUs if they want a thinner form factor or go all-out with high-performance variants for heavier machines. However, this causes some problems for consumers, because OEMs haven't been required to disclose what variant of a given GPU is being used in their devices, leaving consumers in the dark about the performance they can expect from that PC.

As you can see on Nvidia's website, the performance levels can vary quite a bit for graphics cards with the same name. For example, the GeForce RTX 3080 can come in variants that use just 80W of power, or go higher than 150W depending on the variant you get. Similarly, the Boost Clock speeds can also vary significantly. Now, OEMs that use Nvidia's mobile GPUs will have to specify the clock speed and power of the GPUs used in their systems, rather than simply being recommended to do so.

While the Max-Q designation is still used here and there, it's not officially part of the product's name, so OEMs don't have to include it in their description. Still, being able to see the power consumption and clock speed should be enough to make the choice easier for consumers. Nvidia says that OEMs are already making this information available, so if you've been looking for a new gaming laptop, you may want to keep an eye out for that.

• By Vindicta
      my laptop has an AMD ryzen 7 4800H with integrated AMD radeon graphics, a GTX 1660 TI, my OS is in windows 10. My laptop has a 144hz display and an external monitor (60hz) that is connected to my laptop which works PERFECTLY FINE before everything.

So on my laptop screen, DOTA 2 was open while in my external monitor/display, I have my Discord and website open. I was just watching youtube vids when suddenly my monitor froze then laptop display turned blue with text saying " ;( windows ran into a problem" or something like that. At first I thought it was the fabled blue screen that breaks your computer but to my suprise it just automatically restarted my laptop, upon typing my password on my lockscreen, I noticed that my external monitor isn't working and that my laptop display looks weird. So, I asked a friend and told me to check my device manager and I saw that my AMD Radeon Graphics has this "code 43" thing, so he said to just update my drivers and update my windows software, so I did all that and its still there. I did a little exploring myself on my laptop and found that my laptop display was using MS basic display and that it was on 1hz, now I was panicking because I was thinking that my driver is broken or gone, so he told me to try using the one on the AMD website that updates drivers, and so I did that but still nothing. As for the monitor, I tried trouble shooting it, connecting-disconnecting it, force detecting with settings, using the "add device" button under "Bluetooth and other devices"  still nothing, I really dont know what to do. I dont even know what happened before the blue screen

I seen people uninstall their drivers then install it or using the roll back options but idk, what if something happened to my laptop, I dont wanna risk it ;(

• By Copernic
      GPU-Z 2.36.0
      by Razvan Serea

Main Features:

Supports NVIDIA, AMD, ATI and Intel graphics devices Displays adapter, GPU and display information Displays overclock, default clocks and 3D clocks (if available) Includes a GPU load test to verify PCI-Express lane configuration Validation of results GPU-Z can create a backup of your graphics card BIOS No installation required, optional installer is available Support for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported) GPU-Z 2.36.0 changelog:

Added support for CPU temperature monitoring on Zen 3 Improved support for AMD Radeon RX 6800, 6800 XT Added BIOS reading on Navi 2x Fixed ROP count on Navi 21 Fixed bluescreen when Windows Code Integrity enabled Fixed reported memory size on some NVIDIA cards Fixed default clock reading on NVIDIA Ampere when no driver installed Fixed IGP detection for Renoir and Intel Xe Added support for XFX new vendor ID Added support for iCX on EVGA GeForce 30 Added support for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, MX450, Quadro RTX 6000 Mobile Added support for AMD Radeon Pro VII, HD 8550D (A8-6500T APU), Barco MXRT 5600 Added support for Intel Xe MAX Graphics, Xe Graphics, Xe Pod, Xe SG-18M Server GPU, Intel Comet Lake iGPU (Xeon W-1250, Xeon W-10855M) Download page: GPU-Z 2.36.0 | 9.5 MB (Freeware)