CAT6 UTP capable of 10G?

Question

5 answers to this question

To be sure you'd really have to go Cat6a according to Wikipedia. If you're unlucky you'll only get a maximum cable length of 37m and you have to be careful when bending it and stuff. Cat6A is a lot more resilient, and you can go up to 100m cable distance in all situations.

Is this for you home or work place.

If you home, 6 should be fine for allowing for 10G, your not going to have a larged bundled run in home are you? Where you would have to be worried about crosstalk? Even if you did - 37m run in a home is quite long ;) If not your looking at 55m -- which should be more than long enough for anything in a home setup. Unless maybe you live in a Palace?

But to be honest if your whole plan is future proofing, why are you not looking at Class F, sometimes called Cat 7 cable?

Is this for you home or work place.

If you home, 6 should be fine for allowing for 10G, your not going to have a larged bundled run in home are you? Where you would have to be worried about crosstalk? Even if you did - 37m run in a home is quite long ;) If not your looking at 55m -- which should be more than long enough for anything in a home setup. Unless maybe you live in a Palace?

But to be honest if your whole plan is future proofing, why are you not looking at Class F, sometimes called Cat 7 cable?

The cables would be about 30m in length, just from reading around online, I was convinced UTP wouldn't do it. So there would be no affect from running 4 CAT6 cables parallel to each other?

If I had the money to run CAT7, I would just fiber the home :p

Where are you getting 10GB equipment that is in the budget for a home project anyway? Let alone have any need in a home project?

Unless you were putting together a bundle like you would see in a data center, I doubt there is going to be much problem.

4 cables does not equal a bundle ;)