Linux and OSX tablets in a Windows Active Dirctory Which is better

Which Tablet  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tablet would you want for your company Going forward

• Ipad 3
    • Asus Transformer Prime Infinity
    • Another Tablet

As a company we are going forward to trying to decide to go with Android Tablets or Apple tablets and I am wondering what is better for a Windows Network Going forward? Please anybody and put there input and suggestions. Please list your device if you comment on this subject.

We can't really give you an answer without knowing what kind of capabilities you expect of the tablet within the network.

PS For future reference you might want to use the term "iPad" instead of "OSX tablets" (don't officially exist), "Apple tablets" and "Ipad3".

Neither option would make a difference to Active Directory as neither of them support it. What capabilities are you looking for in a tablet? If both fit the bill then maybe just let them employees choose and leave it to personal choice, or if you find one easier to support than the other and just want to standardise then just take your pick.

You cant hook them up to AD but you CAN hook them up to Exchange using ActiveSync. iOS is fully supported with remote wipe, encryption and device policies. For Android you want an ICS device to get the best support.

Other than that it's down to your needs app wise.

I suppose in addition to this, both have various support for VPNs (PPTP, L2TP etc), and there are Remote Desktop clients availble for both OS in the respective app stores.

Instead of asking people here, won't it be easier to look at whatever management features you need and which of them are supported by your tools & processes already in place?

Dot Matrix why do you state that?

We're not your workers or IT Department, we have no clue what kind of needs your company has. What kind of tablet you want will depend on the needs of your workers and company.

But if I was you, I would wait until the end of this year, that way you can test out an iPad, Android, and Windows 8 tablets and see what they can do for you.

On the other hand though, if you WANT us to be your IT department, my business will send someone out for a nominal fee to give you an on site evaluation and build the perfect integration project with tablets for you. ;)

• Like 3

I am IT guy for our company and just curious about what other tech's would like and love. I have the New Ipad and a use an android phone. I personally prefer android tablets because I like the direction that they are taking. Yes I would love to have Windows 8 out and available but we needed to make a decision soon and MS is going to make me probably wait till end of 3Q before we will see one of those tablets.

I'd say get some of the Windows 7 Slates and load Windows 8 on it when it gets released (or even the CP for the time being) but those slates ATM are expensive and some of them aren't the best build quality

Id think the best choice you have for AD is Windows 7 tablets. Windows 8 will support everything Windows 7 does and then some so you are already "future proofing" yourself.

Linux does have some AD support (dont know to what extend) and OS X Ive heard nothing....

Alright here is a question do you know of a way for a apple tablet, Android tablet, or windows 7/8 tablet to have security to encrypt all data on it in-case it is stolen that people would need to have a password to get in?

Alright here is a question do you know of a way for a apple tablet, Android tablet, or windows 7/8 tablet to have security to encrypt all data on it in-case it is stolen that people would need to have a password to get in?

If it is supported in AD (since your thread is about that), the Windows 7 tablet supports it (via GPO)

If it is supported in AD (since your thread is about that), the Windows 7 tablet supports it (via GPO)

Best slate is Samsung Series 7. It is very powerful as a PC (Core i5 with 4GB RAM) in an incredibly small package for a PC, but the battery life is poor- only 3-4 hours, it is heavier, and a bit on the large side compared to an iPad/Android tablet.

Apple claim hardware encryption: http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/integration/ as does Android for 3.0 and up (4.0 brings this to phones, too) http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0-highlights.html . Not Sure how true it is, if the data is really important, then keep it on your server and RDP into it, using the tablet as a dumb terminal.

ipads cannot connect or authenticate with AD, they are resigned to being remote mail viewing platforms......thats about it, no AD auth or access to windows shares out of the box. There is also zero remote centralised management with them out of the box, youd have to look at something like Airwatch.

using as an RPD "tool" is limited also, esp when you realise, right now give me the right click menu in your RDP session.............to the degree ive handed my work issued ipad back and gone back to an ultra-portable laptop (IT System Admin) a pointless toy with no real sys admin benefit (outwith a larger screen to check your mail on) not to say other users may have a use.

dont think androids can either, but not having 1st hand experience with `droid tabklets I cant speak on their behalf.

Windows 7/8 would have it through bitlocker, as long as the computer has a TPM (Trusted Platform Module). Android IIRC has this as well in 2.3 and 4.0. Wipes the data if password is entered incorrectly too many times.

As some else suggested, what about using them as dumb terminals? Look into 2X. That plus VPN makes your tablets dumb terminals with no data. Well, that would work for iPad and Android.

Windows 7/8 (x86/x64): www.truecrypt.org

Android/iOS: Do you have Exchange? If so use ActiveSync and turn on the encryption requirement. http://en.wikipedia....ange_ActiveSync

Windows 8 (ARM): AFAIK this can't support AD or regular desktop apps in any way. Should be interesting to watch the app ecosystem to see if anything like Truecrypt is even allowed.

Edit: Truecrypt could be interesting on a tablet, actually since it probably has no driver for the touch screen or on screen keyboard :p ! Maybe Bitlocker would be better!

Windows 8 (ARM): AFAIK this can't support AD or regular desktop apps in any way. Should be interesting to watch the app ecosystem to see if anything like Truecrypt is even allowed

I don't see why there wouldn't be AD support, I guess that's one of those things we'll have to wait and see about

and there will be desktop apps on ARM tablets, there will be Microsoft supplied apps for the desktop but AFAIK you just won't be able to install 3rd party apps to the desktop

Why not a Windows 7 tablet? It'll run all the Windows software you may need: Outlook, Word, etc. Simple, painless and upgradable when Win 8 comes out.

As for needing a password to get in, Win7 with bit locker enabled, and maybe even a password in BIOS to boot. The latter is circumventable if the drive is removed and mounted in another computer but the former will be difficult to crack, to say the least.

Windows 8 tablets are just around the corner, also if you need to go now, why not go for a Windows 7 tablet? The Samsung Series 7 for example?

I don't see why there wouldn't be AD support, I guess that's one of those things we'll have to wait and see about

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2012/02/windows-8-for-arm-will-lack-enterprise-management-features.ars

Regading desktop apps, yes you are correct - http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-8-arm-desktop-no-third-party-apps-1062187

ipads cannot connect or authenticate with AD, they are resigned to being remote mail viewing platforms......thats about it, no AD auth or access to windows shares out of the box. There is also zero remote centralised management with them out of the box, youd have to look at something like Airwatch.

using as an RPD "tool" is limited also, esp when you realise, right now give me the right click menu in your RDP session.............to the degree ive handed my work issued ipad back and gone back to an ultra-portable laptop (IT System Admin) a pointless toy with no real sys admin benefit (outwith a larger screen to check your mail on) not to say other users may have a use.

dont think androids can either, but not having 1st hand experience with `droid tabklets I cant speak on their behalf.

Isn't that what this is for?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator/id434433123?mt=12