Just bought an iPhone 4.. What now?

So, I've made the bold and possibly rushed decision of purchasing an iPhone 4 from eBay.

It's a brand new iphone 4, unopened etc with all original accessories.

What do you guys recommend I get before I start using it as my primary phone?

• Do I need a case? Where should I get one? - I drop my current phone a lot.
  • Do I need scnree protectors?
  • What Apps do you reccomend?

Anything else you can think of would be great too!

Tim

I would recommend Jailbreaking your device with iOS 5.0.1 so you can have full customization at your fingertips. Downloading Springboard, Activator, MxTube, Backgrounder are some of the dozens of useful apps you can get with a Jailbroken iOS device.

For the case, I would recommend you to look for something that covers the back part so it doesn't scratch or breaks, and/or a side bumper so you don't block the antenna and have great signal quality.

Regarding screen protectors, they won't do that much since the frontal screen of the iPhone is resistant enough. Though for scratches I don't know how much of an impact it could have.

I fire back! :p

1. What are you going to do with it?
  2. Which capacity did you go with?
  3. Will you communicate via data with it, if so how?
  4. How much do you care about preserving App Data, being able to export data and to sync it. (App developer drops out, App gets abandoned, etc... -> maintain your data)
  5. Will you use it for multi media? (video, music, pictures)
  6. What's your data plan?

Those are just a couple of questions I have to start suggesting apps and all that good stuff.

Furthermore, I'd suggest you try doing without a JB first.

You can always go for one, but depending on what you do, a JB might just be a burden or annoyance.

(if you don't need JB tweaks, then always waiting for the latest iOS getting jailbroken untethered and reliably is a pain)

Glassed Silver:mac

edit: / addition:

?Screen protector? Hell yes!

?Case? Hell yes! There are SO many bad ones... Check reviews if you care about the case not scratching your metal band... A bumper will not scratch, but does not provide throughout protection without a rear protecting coat ("screen" protector for the back, many come with front and rear protectors)

I think I might go for a bumper next, but I'm not sure whether I'd like the higher profile...

I also think that I should replace my aging and breaking SwitchEasy case soon (a "Nude" model, yes, that's its name! :D).

I've heard good things and bad things about both cases and protectors. A screen protector usually holds quite a while but eventually might bubble up. (mine does now, will exchange it soon. Got it with my (scratching!) SwitchEasy case)

Personally I love Apples own iPhone bumper, it has saved my phone a lot of times. But there are other brands such as incase and SGP. SGP makes the best cases in my opinion and they have the best screen protectors for an iPhone out there, they cost quite a bit but they are worth it. The screen protectors are just the best out there in terms of how well it's made and the durability of the anti-oil coating and it doesn't ruin the 'Retina' screen, unless you get anti-glare where it fuses the quality, but it really does make the screen look clear in broad daylight.

Avoid Invisishield (screen protector brand), it's disgusting and has a horrible orange peel effect that makes scrolling, and just interacting with the screen a horrible user experience, however, application is very easy. For some personalised iPhone 'sheilds' I recommend Gelaskins, you can personalize your phone and really does make it a little more special: http://www.gelaskins.com/ (their screen protectors are really good also)

The only good thing Invisishield provides is that they sell side protectors which protects the metal band. It's really handle if you get apple bumper.

For some fashionable, colourful cases here's a page for incase products: http://goincase.com/...4S+and+iPhone+4

I adore these cases and screen protectors from SGP:

http://www.spigen.co.../iphone-4s.html

Apple store iPhone bumpers, they are really good and gives your phone some protection to drops:

http://store.apple.c...cessories/cases

May I add that don't always blindly go with apps that are popular and beloved.

I suggest always looking into the features, possibly stuff YOU care about, like easy export, etc...

If you want, send me a PM and I'll give you my contact details. I'm willing to give you some "consulting" :p

Watching Youtube Reviews of Apps is a plethora of new information and decision helping, too.

I fire back! :p

1. What are you going to do with it?
  2. Which capacity did you go with?
  3. Will you communicate via data with it, if so how?
  4. How much do you care about preserving App Data, being able to export data and to sync it. (App developer drops out, App gets abandoned, etc... -> maintain your data)
  5. Will you use it for multi media? (video, music, pictures)
  6. What's your data plan?

Those are just a couple of questions I have to start suggesting apps and all that good stuff.

Furthermore, I'd suggest you try doing without a JB first.

You can always go for one, but depending on what you do, a JB might just be a burden or annoyance.

(if you don't need JB tweaks, then always waiting for the latest iOS getting jailbroken untethered and reliably is a pain)

?Screen protector? Hell yes!

?Case? Hell yes! There are SO many bad ones... Check reviews if you care about the case not scratching your metal band... A bumper will not scratch, but does not provide throughout protection without a rear protecting coat ("screen" protector for the back, many come with front and rear protectors)

I think I might go for a bumper next, but I'm not sure whether I'd like the higher profile...

I also think that I should replace my aging and breaking SwitchEasy case soon (a "Nude" model, yes, that's its name! :D).

I've heard good things and bad things about both cases and protectors. A screen protector usually holds quite a while but eventually might bubble up. (mine does now, will exchange it soon. Got it with my (scratching!) SwitchEasy case)

• What are you going to do with it? - Use it as a phone? And internet, and apps.. Regularly, everyday?
  • Which capacity did you go with? - 32GB
  • Will you communicate via data with it, if so how? - Mainly WiFi and home/uni, Mobile Data everywhere else.
  • How much do you care about preserving App Data, being able to export data and to sync it. (App developer drops out, App gets abandoned, etc... -> maintain your data) - Not a priority
  • Will you use it for multi media? (video, music, pictures) - A Lot of music, and take a fair few photos/videos
  • What's your data plan? - Unlimited on GiffGaff

As for the case: Any ideas where I could a cheap one? I want a case that will protect it if I drop it, but so people can still tell I've got an iphone ;)

Oh and I'm UK ;)

• What are you going to do with it? - Use it as a phone? And internet, and apps.. Regularly, everyday?
  • Will you communicate via data with it, if so how? - Mainly WiFi and home/uni, Mobile Data everywhere else.
  • How much do you care about preserving App Data, being able to export data and to sync it. (App developer drops out, App gets abandoned, etc... -> maintain your data) - Not a priority
  • Will you use it for multi media? (video, music, pictures) - A Lot of music, and take a fair few photos/videos

As for the case: Any ideas where I could a cheap one? I want a case that will protect it if I drop it, but so people can still tell I've got an iphone ;)

Oh and I'm UK ;)

You can get an apple bumper fake from ebay that it like the real thing, and it's really good quality too. The volume buttons are abit bland though, but I had a free black bumper from apple and that went a bit disgusting after awhile. (cuts along the bumper edges). I was looking for a cheap alternative and these are great, plus you can get some colours and colour combinations you don't normally get and they're really different a good. Apple premium on these cases are a rip-off anyway, and these you can throw them in the bin after a couple of months use and change colour, or change colour weekly/daily.

You can get an apple bumper fake from ebay that it like the real thing, and it's really good quality too. The volume buttons are abit bland though, but I had a free black bumper from apple and that went a bit disgusting after awhile. (cuts along the bumper edges). I was looking for a cheap alternative and these are great, plus you can get some colours and colour combinations you don't normally get and they're really different a good. Apple premium on these cases are a rip-off anyway, and these you can throw them in the bin after a couple of months use and change colour, or change colour weekly/daily.

I've seen these. Don't think a bumper would protect my phone much if I dropped it though?

Should of waited. Isnt the Iphone 5 coming out in a few months?

I wouldn't be able to afford it. I'm not on a fixed contract anyway, so can change at anytime.

Oh and I'm UK ;)

You saying you're on GiffGaff, I figured you're in the UK. :)

Genius! You ask for App recommendations, I ask what you want to do with it and you list Apps! :p Shall I continue the circle and ask "What are you going to do with it?" again and you break the circle this time? :)

Well done

I actually mean like... iMessage, messengers (WLM/ICQ/Skype/...) which services. But good you stated that, too! (Y)

Hmmm... maybe not now, but most people learn that lesson when it's too late, so I'll consider that in my recommendations if you don't mind ;)

That sounds good. Do you have iTunes Match/are you interested in it?

Well done. (Y)

Don't go cheap on the case... at least don't make this the top priority. Do NOT. (Unless scratching the metal band is a non-issue to you... Will reduce resale value, though. So if you're not a keeper, consider that maybe? (obviously the higher costs of purchasing a "better" case will not be justified later on, but if that's an extra thought for you, there you go...))

Don't use a case that has this hole for the Apple logo... Looks ridiculous... Rather go with a transparent one or pick a slim case.

(If the metal band scratches are still no worry: SwitchEasy Nude's are quite "cheap" but last for about a year flawlessly, then it might crack on the edges, but will still protect your phone.)

The Apple logo is on some cases, so if you want, go with one of these maybe, can't report on their quality, but here's an example:

Clic here.

Mind you, some cases have a bad impact on your photo and video quality when using the flash/light. (even rather slim ones! Didn't notice this too much/at all (afaik, never use my phone without a case) on my SwitchEasy case...)

Hope I am of any help.

Should of waited. Isnt the Iphone 5 coming out in a few months?

Nope.

October timeframe it is.

I think the June/July model is thrown out of the window for good.

I've seen these. Don't think a bumper would protect my phone much if I dropped it though?

[...]

A bumper protects the phone pretty darn well, unless of cause you drop it on VERY uneven surfaces that stick out... That way, the "puffer zone" of the bumper tip to the iPhone rear/front won't help.

So if you need a very rugged iPhone, look no further than an Otterbox kind of thing.

Edited by Glassed Silver

You saying you're on GiffGaff, I figured you're in the UK. :)

Genius! You ask for App recommendations, I ask what you want to do with it and you list Apps! :p Shall I continue the circle and ask "What are you going to do with it?" again and you break the circle this time? :)

Well done

I actually mean like... iMessage, messengers (WLM/ICQ/Skype/...) which services. But good you stated that, too! (Y)

Hmmm... maybe not now, but most people learn that lesson when it's too late, so I'll consider that in my recommendations if you don't mind ;)

Well done. (Y)

Don't go cheap on the case... at least don't make this the top priority. Do NOT. (Unless scratching the metal band is a non-issue to you... Will reduce resale value, though. So if you're not a keeper, consider that maybe? (obviously the higher costs of purchasing a "better" case will not be justified later on, but if that's an extra thought for you, there you go...))

Don't use a case that has this hole for the Apple logo... Looks ridiculous... Rather go with a transparent one or pick a slim case.

(If the metal band scratches are still no worry: SwitchEasy Nude's are quite "cheap" but last for about a year flawlessly, then it might crack on the edges, but will still protect your phone.)

The Apple logo is on some cases, so if you want, go with one of these maybe, can't report on their quality, but here's an example:

Clic here.

Mind you, some cases have a bad impact on your photo and video quality when using the flash/light. (even rather slim ones! Didn't notice this too much/at all (afaik, never use my phone without a case) on my SwitchEasy case...)

Hope I am of any help.

Will the 'bumper' type cases protect my phone if I drop it? Would you recommend a more rubberised/silicone one? - This is the main reason I really want a case, just to protect it from accidental drops and falls. Also want ti to look good though.

Genius! You ask for App recommendations, I ask what you want to do with it and you list Apps! :p Shall I continue the circle and ask "What are you going to do with it?" again and you break the circle this time? - :)

Sorry, didn't expect you to want that much levle of detail. I'll be using it mainly for calls/texts but also a lot of e-mails, Facebook, Twitter and browsing (Internet). Wont ahve many games on it.

Probably mainly iMessage, but Skype and Facebook will also be two definite communication apps

Thanks, will definetly do this then!

Don't know much about it!

Some application suggestions:

Sparrow - Great mail alternative, ~I'm currently using it after having great use of the OS X version

Pages - I've been writing some documents in this application and saved them via iCloud and it's a great word processor for on the go

Trillian - Good IM application that connects to AIM/MSN and FB Chat I think, been using this when ever I need to contact people from MSN. (rarely heh)

Skype - Bad iPhone application but I've been using it as my main IM fix, it's pretty good for what it does, but I just don't like it.

Netflix - I've recently just tried netflix and really like it, it's a great source of films and just general tv shows.

iBooks - Never was a reader but just started reading the Steve Jobs Biography and I like how text is displayed within iBooks with settings to change font and background colour.

Jailbreak:

Grooveshark - My music fix, my offline playlist has replaced iTunes syncing for music (OR SPOTIFY which is available for non-jailbroken devices)

VLC - I just use this to watch films or tv shows on the go, I like not having to convert files and what not.

iFile - Browse files on my phone and actually be able to see what it downloaded through my browser and accessing files I wouldn't be able to, without this. (mainly organising documents).

Some games suggestions:

Infinity Blade [1/2] - RPG slash em up, it's pretty good, it's a good eye candy type of game, but the game isn't really that good.

Cut the Rope - Great puzzler, I spent ages on this game and I love the challenging levels as you progress. It's actually one of my favourites.

Tiny Wings - A good short game where you try and score the highest points by riding the hills and getting to the furthest island.

Bejewelled - iPhone port of Bejewelled 3, I love one of the modes, (I'm not sure what it's called) but it's great for train journeys and bus travels, short and addicting.

Temple Run - run the furthest by interacting with the screen, unlock upgrades and get further.

I really do recommend a cheap apple bumper case as it's exactly like the official ones, you won't notice difference. I've dropped one so many times, and it's protected it because the bumper works as it's a border around the phone that raises up by around 1mm, which protects the phone from touching the surface, it actually works really well, and It's the most stylish case that allows you to 'show off your iPhone'. It's supposed to act like a shock absorber, and the glass wouldn't technically touch the ground if you drop it, depends what surface you drop it on, for flat services you're good to go.

htbj8m.png

The dark shadow bit is where it indents out, so the light bit is the bit where it's raised. hope you understand :p I've got insurance on my phone and so far all the drops have been on flat surfaces and I haven't smashed either glass (back or front) and it's working great!

Will the 'bumper' type cases protect my phone if I drop it? Would you recommend a more rubberised/silicone one? - This is the main reason I really want a case, just to protect it from accidental drops and falls. Also want ti to look good though.

Genius! You ask for App recommendations, I ask what you want to do with it and you list Apps! :p Shall I continue the circle and ask "What are you going to do with it?" again and you break the circle this time? - :)

Sorry, didn't expect you to want that much levle of detail. I'll be using it mainly for calls/texts but also a lot of e-mails, Facebook, Twitter and browsing (Internet). Wont ahve many games on it.

Probably mainly iMessage, but Skype and Facebook will also be two definite communication apps

Thanks, will definetly do this then!

Don't know much about it!

Bumpers will at worst break after some time.

Go with a cheap one if you want, they won't just disappear once you drop your iPhone, so there you go, it's cheap and protects the most crucial areas. (the edges, and if it falls on a flat surface or something that you'd consider a normal drop)

When I start doing suggestions, I'll not do it without knowing the details, because the risk of recommending stuff that works for me or "most" or some but not for you, is there.

I personally prefer Mail (stock App, because it has push), Facebook but not for chatting in FB, I can't stand unlogged convos, if you don't care about logging your conversations, then there's no problem in not caring which app stores them or if at all! (Y)

Twitter: I use Tweetbot, it's AWESOME, but there are some other good ones, I REALLY recommend watching some Youtube video reviews for that.

Browsing: Stick to Safari, but for some occasions it's good to have an alternative browser readily installed. (iCab Mobile for example or Opera Mini)

iMessage is awesome. Use it! :) Skype is awesome, can't go wrong there. It keeps your logs synched to your desktop client if you care about that! (Y)

Hehe, glad to have opened someone's eyes! :)

I suggest looking it up.

I adore it. But mileage may vary and you may not care about it.

I personally like having pretty much almost my whole library of music with me all the time without needing it to be stored on my iPhone from the get go.

Great if you delete songs you know you won't listen to in near future to free up space for taking photos / videos.

Clean up your library's ID3 tags before using it! (Y) Hehe :)

(It won't replace your ID3 tags etc though! :) )

Some application suggestions:

Sparrow - Great mail alternative, ~I'm currently using it after having great use of the OS X version

Pages - I've been writing some documents in this application and saved them via iCloud and it's a great word processor for on the go

Trillian - Good IM application that connects to AIM/MSN and FB Chat I think, been using this when ever I need to contact people from MSN. (rarely heh)

Skype - Bad iPhone application but I've been using it as my main IM fix, it's pretty good for what it does, but I just don't like it.

Netflix - I've recently just tried netflix and really like it, it's a great source of films and just general tv shows.

iBooks - Never was a reader but just started reading the Steve Jobs Biography and I like how text is displayed within iBooks with settings to change font and background colour.

Jailbreak:

Grooveshark - My music fix, my offline playlist has replaced iTunes syncing for music (OR SPOTIFY which is available for non-jailbroken devices)

VLC - I just use this to watch films or tv shows on the go, I like not having to convert files and what not.

iFile - Browse files on my phone and actually be able to see what it downloaded through my browser and accessing files I wouldn't be able to, without this. (mainly organising documents).

Some games suggestions:

Infinity Blade [1/2] - RPG slash em up, it's pretty good, it's a good eye candy type of game, but the game isn't really that good.

Cut the Rope - Great puzzler, I spent ages on this game and I love the challenging levels as you progress. It's actually one of my favourites.

Tiny Wings - A good short game where you try and score the highest points by riding the hills and getting to the furthest island.

Bejewelled - iPhone port of Bejewelled 3, I love one of the modes, (I'm not sure what it's called) but it's great for train journeys and bus travels, short and addicting.

Temple Run - run the furthest by interacting with the screen, unlock upgrades and get further.

Sparrow -> No push, so... Consider that if you go with it. Also you can't use it as standard email app. You'll need to call it each time. "send email from within apps" will always use stock Mail.

Pages -> Some very good software, lacks proper sync with desktop Pages for Mac though atm... Mountain Lion will hopefully fix this as well as maybe a new iWork version (ffs that's long overdue!)

Trillian -> Good, if your Mac is always on (if you have one) and use Adium, consider Remodium! :)

Skype -> Not much to say here. AFAIK the only client and hence the best and data integrity wise there's nothing to worry here...

Netflix -> Can't say anything about that. I'm not a US/CA/UK user.

iBooks -> Excellent App. (Y)

JB:

Grooveshark -> Can't say anything about that.

VLC -> Don't jailbreak for it, that'd be a waste. There are many Apps on the App Store that have the same features/more. Don't jailbreak for VLC. It's not worth the mess. (Also consider the bonus of having your App Data backed up if you use App Store Apps. If you store stuff in VLC, you're SOL once you need to reset and VLC for iOS was your only storage for that/those videos)

iFile - IF you jailbreak, this is the first app to get. Replaces any need to SSH into your device too to hack plists etc... (built-in plist editor and other good stuff)

Why even mess with plists and other files you can't normally access? Many tweaks work that way! (Y)

Games:

Some of them are hit and miss... Check video reviews and the game description obviously.

Tiny Wings had me playing for ages.

There are maaaany many more that are good, but boy... Check the App charts, YT videos, google around, search the App Store...

You can find so many great games!

If you're into racing: Real Racing 2 is hands down the best racing game with the best controls out there...

Definitely get that one (after checking a video of it... See how you like the concept. Graphics and controls are AMAZING though and it has you playing for quite some time! (Y))

One big question:

What do you have? Mac, Linux or Windows?

Edited by Glassed Silver

Glassed silver, do you have game center would be fun to bash you on some games :p And how did I forgot Fruit Ninja, love that game, it's really great! The charts are good indication of some good games I would list more but there are a huge selection for all types on genres.

If you don't want to use VLC, I've heard Air video is good for streaming files from your desktop. Not tried it, but heard its worth a shot.

Real racing is graphically beautiful, I get smoked online though haha. If you own a mac, iCloud integration is tight with an iPhone, I've been using the iMessages beta along with the new mountain lion developer preview, but you can also get it for lion right now.

Sparrow doesn't have push, but I normally then off any push to save bandwidth. And it doesn't support pop3.

And I forgot I stopped using pages recently in favour for Evernote and Dropbox, I use them two to sync all my files and documents and it's been pretty good! Would recommend that you look into Evernote as its really useful.

Glassed silver, do you have game center would be fun to bash you on some games :p And how did I forgot Fruit Ninja, love that game, it's really great! The charts are good indication of some good games I would list more but there are a huge selection for all types on genres.

If you don't want to use VLC, I've heard Air video is good for streaming files from your desktop. Not tried it, but heard its worth a shot.

Real racing is graphically beautiful, I get smoked online though haha. If you own a mac, iCloud integration is tight with an iPhone, I've been using the iMessages beta along with the new mountain lion developer preview, but you can also get it for lion right now.

Sparrow doesn't have push, but I normally then off any push to save bandwidth. And it doesn't support pop3.

I do. (Hell, I'm the thread creator of the official Neowin GameCenter name thread haha, please add Neowin in your contact request. I deny all requests that I don't know the origin of (friend of friend doesn't suffice as long as I don't know you :p))

Honestly? Plex is the way to go for computer -> iOS streaming! Wins hands down!

Hehe... :p

bandwidth? On an unlimited plan? Not much of a worry there I guess for OP. But then again, push uses so little, I wouldn't worry there for the comfort it provides. But mileage may vary (Y)

POP3? Oh Lord... POP3 is just good for backing up your messages. Go IMAP, go! (there are some services that officially don't have IMAP on their free accounts or at all. Mind you, that is officially. There are often ways around that! (Y))

Avoid Invisishield (screen protector brand), it's disgusting and has a horrible orange peel effect that makes scrolling, and just interacting with the screen a horrible user experience, however, application is very easy. For some personalised iPhone 'sheilds' I recommend Gelaskins, you can personalize your phone and really does make it a little more special: http://www.gelaskins.com/ (their screen protectors are really good also)

I don't know what you're talking about but Invisishield is an awesome screen protector.

I don't know what you're talking about but Invisishield is an awesome screen protector.

I just didn't like the feel of the screen protector, and it felt like i was rubbing my finger against an orange peel, I think there are better third party solutions and cheaper, but I'm just a little OCD. ^^

Alright, I understand. I don't like the screen protectors that are flemsy plastic and eventually get dirt under them and don't stick anymore.

Yeah I loved how you can reapply the shield, and the kit was pretty cool that came with it, still using side protectors :p.

Been playing on what could be considered half my life savings all day.. Love it so far! 6 hours constant use and the battery died. Brightness full, WiFi on, apps downloading/installing. V. Impressed.

Apart from the previous apps mentioned, has anyone else got any apps/games they love or reccomend?

Also, where is the best UK place to get a decent Bumper case for the iPhone (No more than ?10)?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Get AppsGoneFree and go crazy with whatever apps are recommended on each day. You can look back at previous issues to get any app whose free offer hasn't expired yet. Many games are suggested, some great, some crap. Some very useful apps make their way onto there.

Time for the obvious mention for an app...Angry Birds. Would probobly get Seasons since it's not available on the web for free.

Definitely get AppTicker Push. (There is also AppTicker, go for the Push edition though)

Helped me save dozens and dozens of bucks on App purchases! :)

Glassed Silver:win