Ask the Hotmail team anything [and we'll reply via video]

Any plans on adding regular exchange support. It would be nice to use a native client on OSX

I don't see that coming tbh. If hotmail added full on exchange support, what would be the point of buying Microsoft Exchange or Office 365? You can already add a custom domain to hotmail that supports as many users as you want (You get 500 initially but you can request more for free), so they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot if they add exchange support.

-How are you combating against Gmail now that their web client is amazingly robust and integrated seamlessly with G+, as far as having consistent contact data, phone numbers, address etc? Is there a Facebook integration planned, or maybe I am missing currently?

It already exists lol.

Go to http://contacts.live.com, click manage services and you can add your facebook account to it.

Why is flag implementation not used through your mobile apps? For i.e. I can't flag or see flagged messages on the official Android Hotmail app. Also, it is impossible to send mail on behalf of another address like I can on the desktop version. I want to consider making the switch to you guys, but these two key areas are why I don't bother switching from Gmail. Thanks!

Um you can send email on behalf of another address with Hotmail :/

http://mail.live.com/mail/AccountList.aspx?n=1486027524

If that link doesn't work go to options -> Sending/receiving email from other accounts

I just dropped Hotmail last month because of my following question :

- Any word on why IMAP is still not implemented in 2012, and why POP3 has taken forever before being part of the Hotmail service ? Any word on Push Email ?

Dear Galileo and Nic,

Thank you for doing this. I have 3 concerns or questions for you:

1) I have a Windows Phone. However, I cannot flag my emails nor search for them from the server. Ironically, Windows Phone + Gmail allows both of these handy features. Are you planning on supporting these soon?

Sincerely,

You can search for email on Windows phone. Inside the (hot)mail application, you have a search button on the appbar. If you want to search for mails inside a specific folder, then switch to it (see the appbar again), and use search once you are on that email.

Do you have full page themes in the works or more customisation other than the header in Hotmail ?

I would love something like Bing backgrounds, something to spice it up like Gmail themes or anything that gives me a choice of something other than white!

Thanks

Things that I would like to see.

1. Addition of IMAP, I don't need it but I am sure there are many that do.
  2. Theme options, specifically black or something dark and easy on the eyes.
  3. Ability to flag when using Windows Phone.
  4. Ability to drag and drop attachments.
  5. Ability to turn on and or off Facebook contacts completely (if you have WP Facebook is part of People Hub, same for Win8 I think).
  6. If a no go on Facebook contacts then the ability to group contacts or importing of groups from Windows Phone.
  7. Please keep options for reading pane settings.
  8. I am looking forward to the Metro web UI that I am sure is in the works.

Bug's I know of.

1. I have Hotmail pined to my taskbar, the icon shows the Hotmail logo most of the time but there are times where it shows up as the IE logo with a white background.

Things that I think are great

1. Sweep
  2. Instant Action
  3. Right pane view
  4. Folder management in Hotmail (I think it's superior to Gmail).
  5. SPAM filter, I have 2 Hotmail and 1 live account and I never get spam in any of them.

Get rid of flash ads and all of the potential security problems that come with them! Not a good thing to get one's system infected by a random malicious ad that pops up while logged into your email. Please don't tell me you can guarantee no infected ads get through because that would be a lie.

Thank you for making Hotmail a lot better (more so with spam handling; I really get none in my inbox)

Even though Exchange (sort of) and POP3 is implemented, why isn't IMAP? Is there some technical limitation?

Do you work on the Android app or is that another team?

I really like how you can now view Office documents directly in your email. Great touch.

Again, thank you for these 15 (or 14, depends on it) years of Hotmail.

Lol, Office webapps, bro, Office is dead, Google Docs is all most anyone needs, and it's online, and FREE. face it, Microsoft is obsolete.

This is funny since :

-Most companies will keep using MS Office.

-Google don't recommend Google Docs over MS Office.

Will there be a windows 8 metro app?

There is a metro apps for mail inside Windows 8 CP, and it's working fine with your MS account :)

• Like 1

Lol, Office webapps, bro, Office is dead, Google Docs is all most anyone needs, and it's online, and FREE. face it, Microsoft is obsolete.

http://office.live.com

Oh look its the FREE version of Office 365 :rolleyes:

iOS 5 FINALLY supports Hotmail, I suspect Apple made them agree to allowing iOS sync when they commissioned Microsoft to use Azure for iCloud.

What are you talking about? iOS has always supported EAS.

Let me take this one: The "Hotmail" app made by "Microsoft + SEVEN" and various other developers is an obvious fake and likely a password stealing app. If it isn't by "Microsoft Corporation" (like OneNote Mobile) then it isn't a microsoft app.

Hey on that note I have one question thus far! What does the Hotmail team plan to do about these fake apps?

Wanted to comment and clarify this asap. The official Hotmail app for Android is the one listed as made by "Microsoft + SEVEN". We hired out the Android development team at SEVEN Networks, who has an excellent track record, to develop the app for us. More info: http://www.seven.com/newsandevents.php

I just dropped Hotmail last month because of my following question :

- Any word on why IMAP is still not implemented in 2012, and why POP3 has taken forever before being part of the Hotmail service ? Any word on Push Email ?

We'll address IMAP on video (it's always a hot topic :) ). We've actually had POP for a while. And ever since 2010 we've had EAS, which will allow you to do push email.

The questions have slowed down so we'll give the thread another 24 hrs before closing. Thanks!

By aliases you mean independent accounts right? E.g., Foo1@hotmail.com and 2Oof@hotmail.com

the ones that you can click that little icon and get a hotmail alias.

and I have seperate folders for each that were created by hotmail.

IDifA.png

I want to know if I can use any of those with the droid app.

Thank you!

the ones that you can click that little icon and get a hotmail alias.

and I have seperate folders for each that were created by hotmail.

IDifA.png

I want to know if I can use any of those with the droid app.

Thank you!

Got it. We'll save this one for the video reply, it's a good question.

In case I miss the vid could you post it here? Thank you!

In case people harp on me for my 345 unread emails I don't care LOLOLOLOLOL.

Great thread!

I've got a couple things

1. I would love to see my Tasks from Outlook 2010 sync w/ Hotmail for reminders, any chance? (then I can stop using ToodleDo Sync to get them to WP7)
  2. You guys still like Hotmail Plus, right? So sit tight and look for some new options/features somewhere down the line? (no changes for a long time that I noticed)
  3. Will you close the gaps in WinPhone7 email and Hotmail features? (flagging)
  4. Why does Outlook on Mac insist of driving me nuts by not syncing all folders?! (my wifes laptop specifically, lots of dust on it... just wondering though)

I understand some of those might require some specifics regarding the future of the product(s). I'd be more than happy with a generalized response of "stay tuned". ;)

What about our other, more important concerns? (like the ones that keep us from using hotmail)

A download that can sync/upload a work exchange calendar into your hotmail calendar like google calendar sync would be great too

Also any news on what will be happening with live.com given recent changes

I would like to know what Microsoft does to protect our online data from corruption or accidental loss - complete account reset and scary stuff like that. I hope you backup each and every Hotmail account so it can be restored in event of such data loss?

And will the Messenger-Hotmail inbox integration work with other browsers besides IE ever?