Using Photos on iPad

Hi guys, in my company I'm responsible for the iPads. We have 2. They used to be managed by a guy who has now left, he was doing it I think with his personal laptop. It was mainly for Sales Guys, so he would update the albums and pics on it so when they go out they can show it.

I now am managing this but the way iPhoto works, I just don't get it. How to sync everything and it can only be done from one computer? What's the best easiest way to manage photos and videos easily on iPads?

Thanks

It can be done either USB cable hooking up to your PC/laptop so you can manage the photos in iTunes or you can manage photos via iCloud. iCloud can be updated to all devices automatically; for example: you added one photo on your iPad, so your photo will be shown up in the rest of devices such as PC, iPhone, and iPod automatically via iCloud as long as you have same iTunes account on all of devices.

If you do not like those methods that I mentioned, then there are many ways to manage the photos such as dropbox, etc.

I would create a dropbox account to sync to both machines, and deploy remotely...

I would have to agree. From the gist of what the OP is saying, it sounds like something like GoodReader + DropBox will be a better solution.

GoodReader can be setup to synchronize DropBox folders so it is probably the best if you need the iPad users to have access to the photos on the go.

What are you using to sync with? Windows or Mac, because they each handle photos in a slightly different fashion. In Mac you basically HAVE to use iPhoto in order to sync photos properly, and I think that on Windows it just has the option to sync the "My Pictures" folder and however that is arranged by sub-folders shows up as "albums" (I think). iTunes actually manages the syncing under the "Photos" tab when the device is connected. iPhoto for iOS is for editing photos on the fly just before posting to a social network or emailing. It doesn't sound like you need to edit photos, but just show them off. I'd recommend a 3rd party app + Dropbox (or something more flexible than iCloud) for that kind of work.

Uhh.. iCloud Photostream would do this natively...?

yes, automatically update to all devices as long as you have same iTunes account on each device you own.

Uhh.. iCloud Photostream would do this natively...?

so he would update the albums and pics on it so when they go out they can show it.

PhotoStream is just a continuous stream of photos as they are uploaded to iCloud with absolutely no concept of an "album" or way to differentiate photos in the PhotoStream. If they were to rely on that, all that the iPad users could do was save the image from the PhotoStream onto the CameraRoll. There is currently no way to move a PhotoStream image or CameraRoll image into an Album w/o a PC or a Mac. I don't think PhotoStream is going to fit with the OP needs, but I may be wrong.

Even though it's only a small number of devices, you could always try using the iOS Configurator Tool for Mac, which allows you to configure devices. Depends whether it's easier to just sync them as they are at the moment or use that.

PhotoStream is just a continuous stream of photos as they are uploaded to iCloud with absolutely no concept of an "album" or way to differentiate photos in the PhotoStream. If they were to rely on that, all that the iPad users could do was save the image from the PhotoStream onto the CameraRoll. There is currently no way to move a PhotoStream image or CameraRoll image into an Album w/o a PC or a Mac. I don't think PhotoStream is going to fit with the OP needs, but I may be wrong.

That's exactly what it can do. You can create albums on the iPad and choose which photos from photostream you then want in it. Granted the 'end user' needs to organise the albums on the iPad (without a PC or Mac) locally but it's still a free working solution.

Even though it's only a small number of devices, you could always try using the iOS Configurator Tool for Mac, which allows you to configure devices. Depends whether it's easier to just sync them as they are at the moment or use that.

I don't think any MDM Software would help in this instance. I work for Absolute Software as Global Support for Absoute Manage MDM and I know that neither us or our competitors have any photo management software integrated into the MDM Suites. In this instance, Dropbox would be king.