Do I have to re-buy HD versions of my iPhone games onto my new iPad?

An example is Angry Birds Space. I paid 69p for it on my iPhone and the App Store on the iPad is still asking for ?1.99 for Angry Birds Space HD.

It seems around half of my iPhone games are asking for more money to download the HD versions on the iPad.

Thoughts?

Angry birds yes. Otherwise you'll have to check if it's Universal. It's an App by App basis, some are, others are not

It seems around half of my iPhone games are asking for more money to download the HD versions on the iPad.

Well, an iPhone is not an iPad. I think it is simple logic that you purchase another "app". Some application might be universal for both but if it is not, I guess your only choice is to purchase them again.

This is a pretty sly move on the publisher/developer's part, basically allowing them to make a lot more money by making you buy the same thing twice...

• Like 2

Seems like a scam to me. Both devices are running the same OS so you shouldn't have to repurchase the game just because the resolution of the device you want to play it on is different.

• Like 3

This is a pretty sly move on the publisher/developer's part, basically allowing them to make a lot more money by making you buy the same thing twice...

Well, this is two different products. Most of the time, they upgraded the graphics are added something else.

If you purchased a game for PS3, you should be able to play it on PSVita ?

It's always been like this. I must admit however that some games/applications include Mac and Windows version but let's face it, companies are not there to give you something free :(

The answer is no, because the iPhone version will work fine on the iPad. It won't be formatted to fill the screen quite right, but you can play through it just like you would be able to on your iPhone.

If you want the "HD" version of the game for the iPad, you will need to buy it separately. There is no scam going on here, people. I too look for apps that are universal and prefer them, but there was no dishonesty in selling the two as separate apps. Thats their choice to do, just like it is your choice to not buy if you don't like it. A scam is when somebody tricks you into buying something by misrepresenting it. This is not that.

Almost always, YES. They are separate apps.

Imagine this if you will, you download Angry Birds for your phone. If it was the same app as the Retina iPad app, do you know how long that will take to download and how much space it will take on your phone?

So it is really a good thing that they keep it separate (but not for the wallet).

Some apps are properly scaled up for the iPad look for the little + in the corner of the buy/install button.

But yeah some Apps have an HD version you can also buy if you want...else you have to x2 them.

Well, this is two different products. Most of the time, they upgraded the graphics are added something else.

If you purchased a game for PS3, you should be able to play it on PSVita ?

That analogy does not work, it is not the same. The same games (let's use FIFA as an example) on different types of platform (e.g. a home console like the PS3 and a portable console like the Vita) are generally very different due to the hardware (performance, screen size, console methods etc.).

However the HD versions of iPhone games tend to be exactly the same as the "SD" versions, the only difference being the resolution of the game/graphics.

Basically, I'm having to pay much more for an upscale of resolution/graphics on the same platform (iOS).

Basically, I'm having to pay much more for an upscale of resolution/graphics on the same platform (iOS).

There is also different hardware to some degrees also. But all in all it's up to the App Developer of they want to make it Universal, so it doesn't look like crap on the larger screen iPad. The iPad will still run all of the apps, but will have to zoom the apps that are not universal

The App Developer can include the higher rez/info in the app and set the toggle for universal, or not and sell it as separate app. Its always Your choice to purchase the other app.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends entirely on the developer. Some developers release a universal version of the app that is both compatible with iPhone and iPad. (Yes, I mean the full HD feature, not just the 2x feature)

For example, if you purchase Grand Theft Auto 3 or Max Payne on the iPhone, the full featured HD version is free on the iPad too. Conversely, games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Flight Control come with an iPhone version and a separate HD version for the iPad of which you have to pay twice for.

Also, the rule of thumb for most apps developed by Apple is the one size fits all. So, e.g. Pages, Numbers and Keynote etc if purchased on the iPhone are all free in their respective fully featured HD flavours on the iPad.

Personally, I think it's displaying a little profiteering from the developer, especially in the case of something like Angry Birds! ?0.69 on the iPhone is fine, but to then charge ?1.99 again for the HD version of the very same game is a bit greedy IMO.

The answer is no, because the iPhone version will work fine on the iPad. It won't be formatted to fill the screen quite right, but you can play through it just like you would be able to on your iPhone.

If you want the "HD" version of the game for the iPad, you will need to buy it separately. There is no scam going on here, people. I too look for apps that are universal and prefer them, but there was no dishonesty in selling the two as separate apps. Thats their choice to do, just like it is your choice to not buy if you don't like it. A scam is when somebody tricks you into buying something by misrepresenting it. This is not that.

i was going to say the same thing, your iPhone apps will work on the iPad without the need to purchase the app again or the HD App.

However if you want an app thats optimised for a larger screen and a different device then i think paying for it is fine. The developer has had to put in more time and resources to develop the new iPad version, so i don't see why they should get compensated. A lot of developers continually support and improve apps long after i think they need to, a lot of apps you can really get your moneys worth with free levels, extra, features being added over time.

Most apps I've got are actually available on my iPad since I bought them on the iPhone. And I don't mean the iPhone versions. I mean ... I bought iPhone versions of the apps and now on my iPad, I am able to download the iPad versions for free. Many of them. Not all. But many. :)