Whats Faster - Sata 6 vs USB 3.0

You don't. If you have a hotswap chassis, or cables that support hotswap, you can hot-plug a drive. The difference is that in a hot plug cable, the ground pins stick out further than the 5v and 12v pins, so the ground lines make connection first. Once the drive is grounded, it can have power applied and not have an issue. All my sata 2 drives in my file server can be hot plugged at-will.

Does this hold true for external SATA drive too?

• 2 years later...

One other note that everyone has failed to mention is Bandwidth sharing.

A SATA port that's included on the mother board does not have bandwidth sharing with other SATA ports.

USB 2/3 when using a USB 2/3 hub does have bandwidth sharing. IE.... You have a USB 3.0 hub, and 4 devices connected to the hub. If all 4 devices are in use at the same time, then total USB 3.0 bandwidth is shared between the 4 devices. They are also not shared equally. It is possible that if 3 of the USB devices are "Slow" devices, and you have one faster device, more bandwidth will be devoted to the faster device.

Even with all that said. You still get total bandwidth sharing. Its not to big of an issue, if your plugging a keyboard or mouse into it. Although if you ever notice your mouse freezing, or keyboard lagging and its plugged into a USB hub, 9 out of 10 times, its due to bandwidth sharing. My real life is example is I had a USB 3.0 hub, 3 hard drives a key board and a mouse. I had some very heavy data transfer going on between the three drives and internal drives to the computer. Needless to say, but during the process my mouse lagged, and so did the keyboard. When all the data transfers completed. The keyboard/mouse lag vanished.

So keep that in mind When deciding.

TGC

P.S. 2 of the drives I was using that were plugged into the USB 3.0 hub were SSD drives that I was cloning.

"So keep that in mind When deciding."

Since this thread is from early 2012, I would have to assume they made their choice already ;)

• Like 2

Since this thread is from early 2012, I would have to assume they made their choice already ;)

Considering how agonizing it is for some people to make a decision just to try something, who knows.