Attempted Identity Theft

Hello all,

On Friday the 6th April i checked my email, and i had an email from Paypal for an invoice for KGBDeals. It was for a 55" LG LED 3d Tv. Which through this site was on offer for ?999.00. I haven't done this purchase for starters, checked the invoice and they'd used my name but at an address in London.

I immediately disputed this through paypal (who have now cancelled the order). And cancelled the Paypal Direct Debit with my bank for now, (also checked with Bank and nothing unusual on my account so thats not comprimised) and emailed the KGB regarding this issue. Unfortunately it is a Bank Holiday weekend so i am still awaiting a response from them. I reported this to my local Police constabulary (Hampshire) who have forwarded the details to the Met Police in London.

I am aware that i am not at a loss and pretty sure i can't claim for Identity Theft or anything. However, i want to ensure that this gets followed up appropriately by the Police and the culprit gets caught.

Is there anything i can do or chase up with the police to get the Met Police to go after this person.

I have had a thought that the address could be an empty property and the "person" just waits for the "attempted delivery" card to be placed through the letterbox and then go pick up the TV (if the order wasn't cancelled).

I'm just trying to ensure that this person is brought to justice as i might not be the only victim that this person has tried to defraud.

Any help or have i done as much as possible?

File a report with the police department. More likely that's why you'll be told. Also keep a look to see if it happens again. Does paypal have txt alert for unauthorized access?

okay, well i've reported it to the Police so thats that then.Erm, it may have text alerts, but i have the emails sent to my phone so i check that often every day, that, and its done via Direct Debit gives me about 30 days to correct anything they've done on my account IF they try again.

What I don't understand is why PayPal sent you an email of a receipt for a payment you never made. As I understand it, the only time you'll receive one is if you made a payment from your account. Have you considered the possibility that your PayPal account may have been compromised?

What I don't understand is why PayPal sent you an email of a receipt for a payment you never made. As I understand it, the only time you'll receive one is if you made a payment from your account. Have you considered the possibility that your PayPal account may have been compromised?

PayPal send you a receipt whenever a payment is made using your account. Regardless of whether it was the account holder or a third party who compromised the account, the receipt will be e-mailed to the registered account e-mail address.

If you generally use the same password for most of your accounts e.g. Facebook/e-mail/PayPal/eBay/others, it's likely that whoever compromised your PayPal account probably gained access to your e-mail/password through a third party website and got lucky trying your e-mail/password combo with PayPal.

Sadly in my experience Police in the UK are pretty useless dealing with petty internet crime unless something goes viral. I would take some comfort if your local Police have passed the matter onto the Met Police.

A few years ago I got a key generator from Pay-pal, basically it is a key chain that creates random 6 digit number that you must use in addition to your password when attempting to log in or use your pay-pal account. I did a quick check and it seems that they have gotten a better version of it, as well as offering a text message keys. See here for more info It could not hurt to add this additional layer of protection to your account! In fact I just attempted to log in to my account, and did not fell like hunting for the security key, so it required me to verify the last 4 of social, and my city of birth before letting me log in, it also stated that this is the only time that I would be able to do that!

Happens all the time. Happened to me before, I would get emails about stuff I never ordered and let alone had a paypal account, mind you I hadn't had one for years and the cards used then are in the CC graveyard.

For OP can also, when not using his paypal account remove your card info and just enter it every time you need to make a purchase say like ebay etc. Or OP can get a load as you go from local walmart or where ever and put how much him/her needs use that then this way they can't do anything because there are no funds on the card so I won't get processed. That would be your safest choice as well. Your bank account will be safe and won't have to go through this problem anymore.

cheers for the responses guys, ive used the security key that jnelsoninjax suggested, and also removed my banking details from paypal until i need it, tbh i hardly use paypal, only for selling stuff on ebay which ive only done a few times.

KGB emailed me today saying they've blacklisted the address from further purchases so i'll just wait to see if the police get back to me if at all.

I found a charge form teleflora on my bank card one time, for flowers I had never purchased. In addition, whoever did used my email and address to pay for them, but mailed them to some chick in ohio a year ago, complete with her name, address, his name, and a message. I called teleflora, canceled the ordered, called my bank, gave them all the info, and was comp'd back for all the charges (there were a few additional ones for premium hotmail and yahoo mail features that I don't use). There's not a lot the police will do usually but as long as your bank watches your card for any activity you should be ok.