Android Outselling the iPhone 10-to-1 in China

Also.. when Instagram was already a HIT on iOS, it took them 2 months to get about 9 million users. Compared to 5+ million in merely few days on Android shows how powerful Android really is. Is that comparison more to your liking?

instagram-employees--users.png

This just shows how powerful and massive Android eco-system is and how quickly an app can get traction.

Not too surprising. Android is a lot cheaper.

Not all the phones are cheap. Many are the same price as an iPhone. And Google appeals to the budget crowd as well as people who have more money to burn. It is a good strategy on Google's part and has proven to work very well.

I am a developer and everyone I know developing for both platforms is fine with Android. Tools and SDK have mature so much that it's super easy to publish an app through Android eco-system and different displays and so on very easily.

I don't know who those big name devs are.. but I will venture a guess that most of them are coming from Apple's side

remember that giant hard on you had for the company that brought a 5 year old game to flash? well this is their VP talking about android fragmentation. oh yeah, that's the father of FPS talking about it too...

Also.. when Instagram was already a HIT on iOS, it took them 2 months to get about 9 million users. Compared to 5+ million in merely few days on Android shows how powerful Android really is. Is that comparison more to your liking?

This just shows how powerful and massive Android eco-system is and how quickly an app can get traction.

Everyone knew what instagram was before it hit android, no one knew what it was before it his iOS. why can't you comprehend that?

They're ok with it,but developing for android is still a lot more work, you have to take account for a least 10 different resolutions, about the same number of different CPUs and gpu combos. And list which devices the app will actually work on.

If you ignore the 2 or 3 oldest iOS devices, you have 3 unique devices, at most 5. But no one develops for iPhone 1 and 2 anymore.

As for the numbers of instagram no mattering... Seriously. YOU brought them up. I pointed out why they're useless. How many downloads did EyeEm have in its first 3 months then? Was it released before or after instagram? do they even have more user than instagram now?

Also there the little issue that there such a low percentage of android user willing to pay for apps, while the iOS percentage is far higher.

Also about the counterfeit iPhones, I guess you're not connected to the real world as that is a REAL problem down there, masses of phnes as sold as identical copies of iPhones.

Seriously.... You're asking that...

It doesn't matter. There are gazillion similar apps on Android (like EyeEm) that are even better than instagram.

My Focus is like a lot of other cars, doesn't mean squat regarding Like other apps.

Instagram became as popular as it is when it was on iOS, it rose from nothing to $1B

An ALREADY hugely popular app came out on android, and get eaten up AS EXPECTED OF A POPULAR APP, and it's claimed as the popularity if Android. INSTEAD of the popularity of the App itself.

Get over yourself and stop licking the Robots Exhaust

As far as the Android IPhone comparison in China. Your blatently ignoring How many Fake iPhone devices are in china, and how many are running Android.

There is a Stovetop in china labeled iPad, POS Nokia labeled iPhone.

Yes it is belatedly obvious Android is outselling iPhone in china,,BECAUSE THERE ARE MASIVE AMOUNT OF FAKE's RUNNING ANDROID

They're ok with it,but developing for android is still a lot more work, you have to take account for a least 10 different resolutions, about the same number of different CPUs and gpu combos. And list which devices the app will actually work on.

It is marginally more work and mainly in how you setup activities and views in layouts. This is really not a big deal. You use DPs (density independent pixels) and SPs for text instead of points and you use relative, linear, frame or table layouts with weight adjustments to have them scale nicely.

Google's/Android ADT 17 and now 18 have a great Designer view now that allows convenient design of UI and elements.

That marginally more work translates into hundreds of millions of customers you are exposed to and shows how fast and insanely high user engagement can be on Android if you build a good app. Nothing else compares.

And btw, you don't need to test it on the list of devices. Android SDK works now by grouping all devices into low/medium and high density displays and when you build your app it just works great on any device.

One click and I compile an app that runs beautifully on plethora of devices (and I have quite a few)

And there is at least 10 varieties of Android phones for every 1 variety of iPhone. Hell it's probably closer to 100:1 if China is as littered with Android phones as the US.

And whose fault is that? People want bigger screens and that has been proven. People want different looks/styles and the option to have a physical KB and not full touch. Apple locked themselves in to one design/model and the look/feel of the phone has not changed much since the original. iOS is getting boring/stale IMO.

People argue that Android is fragmented badly, but it hasnt stopped their growth and it is no big deal...like I have been saying all along.

It is marginally more work and mainly in how you setup activities and views in layouts. This is really not a big deal. You use DPs (density independent pixels) and SPs for text instead of points and you use relative, linear, frame or table layouts with weight adjustments to have them scale nicely.

Google's/Android ADT 17 and now 18 have a great Designer view now that allows convenient design of UI and elements.

That marginally more work translates into hundreds of millions of customers you are exposed to and shows how fast and insanely high user engagement can be on Android if you build a good app. Nothing else compares.

And btw, you don't need to test it on the list of devices. Android SDK works now by grouping all devices into low/medium and high density displays and when you build your app it just works great on any device.

One click and I compile an app that runs beautifully on plethora of devices (and I have quite a few)

I know you have never answered this question and you never will, but... is google paying you or something?

Your fanboyism it's hilarious

you should work for skype and webcam support working on all android devices if it's that easy. oh and get gta to work on all devices, same with street fighter 4 etc etc

iOS is getting boring/stale IMO.

Im not bored, with neither my iphone nor my android tablet. They are the same to me.

I know you have never answered this question and you never will, but... is google paying you or something?

Your fanboyism it's hilarious

boz ignores facts that prove him wrong. it's just what he does.

And whose fault is that? People want bigger screens and that has been proven. People want different looks/styles and the option to have a physical KB and not full touch. Apple locked themselves in to one design/model and the look/feel of the phone has not changed much since the original. iOS is getting boring/stale IMO.

People argue that Android is fragmented badly, but it hasnt stopped their growth and it is no big deal...like I have been saying all along.

and their a lot of developers out there that disagree with you.

and their a lot of developers out there that disagree with you.

And a lot of developers that see a huge opportunity with Android. Especially since Android is eating up more and more market share every day.

Here is your people that have issues developing for Android

http://www.pcworld.com/article/212772/id_softwares_john_carmack_ios_vs_android.html

Epic Games - the creator of Epic Citadel that you made a post about dry humping flash a while ago

One of the problems with the Android marketplace is hardware fragmentation, that?s a really big issue. The other thing is marketplace fragmentation, there are so many different appstores out there. The Android marketplace is a little more difficult [to develop for] because there is less control. I think the Android marketplace is robust ? I find it very easy to buy things on it, it?s just that Apple has very tight control. So anything in the Apple world is perfect. It?s just perfect. We like that, we like that a lot. We know that it?s just gonna work. Sometimes that?s not always the case in the Android marketplace.

http://androidcommunity.com/epic-games-on-future-android-plans-20110126/

Just about every major studio has complaints regarding Android, what I quoted and posted just took a search of ID software Android, and Epic Games Android into google. guessing you don't look to far out of that robots rear

And a lot of developers that see a huge opportunity with Android. Especially since Android is eating up more and more market share every day.

well yeah, but that has nothing to do with what you said ;)

http://www.pcworld.c...vs_android.html

Epic Games - the creator of Epic Citadel that you made a post about dry humping flash a while ago

http://androidcommun...plans-20110126/

Just about every major studio has complaints regarding Android, what I quoted and posted just took a search of ID software Android, and Epic Games Android into google. guessing you don't look to far out of that robots rear

pshhh, stealing my link ;)

http://www.pcworld.c...vs_android.html

http://androidcommun...plans-20110126/

And many companies that complain about writing for Android, still do. The point is people will bitch and moan about anything they want, but as long as they can make some money and turn a profit, they will do what is needed.

And the article from PCW has old info in it. Google had limited the DL size to 20-30mb, but now it is 4gb.

Not all the phones are cheap. Many are the same price as an iPhone. And Google appeals to the budget crowd as well as people who have more money to burn. It is a good strategy on Google's part and has proven to work very well.

I was just pointing out a fact. Android sells on a lot of cheap phones.

Just like Windows sells on a lot of cheap PC's - That is what makes up the market share. Apple has always taken the high priced segments of the market in Computers and Phones. A market segment that will always be small.

• Like 1

Agreed, and it will get bigger.

But only issue/question I see is will it get bigger in comparison to the number of android devices ( including junk devices )

Because of the cheapness of the Android OS, people can put it in anything, Fridges have android, same with Washer Dryers, and the POS $20 tablets at the mall kiosks.

And everything get counted as its Android. break it down to Android Version.

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

Over Half of the devices are 2 OS versions behind with more people running Android 2.2 Froyo then any other version combined