Cyan Lumia 900 sells out on Best Buy's website

Though the past few days have looked fairly grim for Nokia, who posted a ?590 loss for Q1, there is some positive news for the Finnish manufacturer. It appears that signs of strong sales of the Lumia 900 have proven true, especially for the cyan model, which has now sold out completely on Best Buy's website. We saw the same thing happen a few days ago over at AT&T, who initially sold out of both the black and cyan, but has since restocked their black models. The cyan, however, still remains "temporarily out of stock."

BestBuyLumiaSellout.PNG

The Best Buy and AT&T sellouts are important both to consumers and carriers alike. Carriers are beginning to see that Windows Phone can be a viable option in the marketplace. Verizon recently said in a conference call that they see a place for Windows Phone and hinted at a future increase in offerings, though some European carriers remain skeptical. Consumers are seeing that there now a clear alternative to Android and Apple. In fact, our online poll indicated that the majority of people who became Lumia 900 owners were in fact converts from iPhones or Android devices. Sure, it's not the most scientific evidence, but it's surely a positive sign.

http://www.wpcentral.com/lumia-900-sells-out-best-buys-website

seriously? one colour of a phone that the supplier is shipping in limited quantities sells out on one internet site and they write an article about it? how desperate are these windows phone fanboys for news?

I believe the only units sold out are on ATT because Nokia admitted they had a software glitch and found a solution to the ATT data issue. They are also offering a $100 rebate to all who purchased the device, or will purchase it before April 21st. So basically the phone is free so more end users are flocking to them. I went into an ATT store to physically check it out and compare it to the HTC WP and I am not impressed at all. There is no way I would ever purchase a WP7, I am hoping to take a look at WP8 on better hardware whenever it is released.

Source

http://www.makeuseof...ril-21-updates/

*sigh* Seriously man? Why the bashing right off the bat? Is it a slow day for you or something? We don't know how many units Best Buy got, and it's hardly just "one internet site", it's a big brand retail chain, that's like saying Amazon is just a small little site or something. How desperate are you to make this negative when it doesn't really have to be?

I believe the only units sold out are on ATT because Nokia admitted they had a software glitch and found a solution to the ATT data issue. They are also offering a $100 rebate to all who purchased the device, or will purchase it before April 21st. So basically the phone is free so more end users are flocking to them.

Source

http://www.makeuseof...ril-21-updates/

Nokia has come out and said officially that the majority of people waited for the update and held on to the phone they originally got, few went back to replace it. Besides the update was out quick, think it was 4 days, hardly an issue IMO.

*sigh* Seriously man? Why the bashing right off the bat? Is it a slow day for you or something? We don't know how many units Best Buy got, and it's hardly just "one internet site", it's a big brand retail chain, that's like saying Amazon is just a small little site or something. How desperate are you to make this negative when it doesn't really have to be?

it's not negativity it's logic. all the recent news items from nokia saying they are selling out are being looked at with a grain of salt because it's known that they are not supplying very many to begin with, especially in a certain colour. how many more do you think the best buy website got compared to AT&T? say they even got 5000 of the cyan ones. at a price point of what? 0 dollars right now cause of the rebate how is that even a big deal?

seriously? one colour of a phone that the supplier is shipping in limited quantities sells out on one internet site and they write an article about it? how desperate are these windows phone fanboys for news?

How do you know what the quantities sold are? Perhaps you can share with us.

Nokia has come out and said officially that the majority of people waited for the update and held on to the phone they originally got, few went back to replace it. Besides the update was out quick, think it was 4 days, hardly an issue IMO.

Source? I do recall Nokia stating PR wise the data issue was software issue and is not a hardware problem at all and is an easy fix which will be pushed out.

Source? I do recall Nokia stating PR wise the data issue was software issue and is not a hardware problem at all and is an easy fix which will be pushed out.

Here, a quick search of Nokia related articles and I found it. http://www.wpcentral.com/more-signs-nokias-lumia-900-doing-well

And I quote, the Nokia person, "The inventory situation is primarily a function of demand because we are seeing that most customers are opting to keep their units and simply update via Zune." Like I said, most people just waited for the fix, which came 4 or so days later which wasn't a long wait at all, going by smartphone standards. So AT&T wasn't replacing many of them to customers, thus the lack of stock wasn't caused by replacements etc.

I don't really see the point of buying any WP7 device when none of them will be upgradable to WP8 which is actually Windows Phone version that might be up to par with iOS and Android.

It just seems like a very stupid thing to do.

How do you know what the quantities sold are? Perhaps you can share with us.

Um.. most stores got like 3-4 units.. maybe 8 tops.. It has already been confirmed, somebody posted an article before. Best Buy shouldn't be any different.

it's not negativity it's logic. all the recent news items from nokia saying they are selling out are being looked at with a grain of salt because it's known that they are not supplying very many to begin with, especially in a certain colour. how many more do you think the best buy website got compared to AT&T? say they even got 5000 of the cyan ones. at a price point of what? 0 dollars right now cause of the rebate how is that even a big deal?

Your grain of salt is more like a spoon full, we don't know how many AT&T got, not every retail shop is the same, some have more traffic so they should get more units compared to other places, so using that as a factor to "guess" how many units Nokia sent out to different outlets is just that, a poor guess. Seeing how more sales now happen through online sites I'm betting that places like Amazon and Best Buy and even AT&T itself kept more stock handy for online orders than what went out to actual retail shops. None of this is actually "logic" in the end, it's speculation since no one outside of Nokia and AT&T or even Amazon and Best Buy have officially said how many units they had and how many they've sold.

I don't really see the point of buying any WP7 device when none of them will be upgradable to WP8 which is actually Windows Phone version that might be up to par with iOS and Android.

did Microsoft said in any site that windows phone 7 will not get wp8 upgrade ? no they did not until they release info your argument invalid

Though the past few days have looked fairly grim for Nokia, who posted a ?590 loss for Q1, there is some positive news for the Finnish manufacturer. It appears that signs of strong sales of the Lumia 900 have proven true, especially for the cyan model, which has now sold out completely on Best Buy's website. We saw the same thing happen a few days ago over at AT&T, who initially sold out of both the black and cyan, but has since restocked their black models. The cyan, however, still remains "temporarily out of stock."

BestBuyLumiaSellout.PNG

The Best Buy and AT&T sellouts are important both to consumers and carriers alike. Carriers are beginning to see that Windows Phone can be a viable option in the marketplace. Verizon recently said in a conference call that they see a place for Windows Phone and hinted at a future increase in offerings, though some European carriers remain skeptical. Consumers are seeing that there now a clear alternative to Android and Apple. In fact, our online poll indicated that the majority of people who became Lumia 900 owners were in fact converts from iPhones or Android devices. Sure, it's not the most scientific evidence, but it's surely a positive sign.

http://www.wpcentral...st-buys-website

Oh I hope windows phone wins over ios. It just seems so unatural that apple should hold majority on any front. ;)

Upgrading the OS is not something the majority of phone buyers think about, look at how many had an iPhone4 and went out to replace it with a iPhone4S for example, or even with older models etc. Most phone buyers don't think about it to the extent the tech people on here do, most don't care IMO. Using the internet as a gauge for how people feel about this topic doesn't work IMO, the internet gives the vocal minority more clout than it actually has in the market. In my opinion most people upgrade their phones OS when they buy a new phone, be it 1 year or 2 years later or whenever their contract lets them. The only people who really care about future upgrades are probably the few, like me, who actually pay full price for a unlocked device and don't get it from a carrier with some contract. Though to be honest my phone is going to be 2 years old so I'll probably just get a new WP8 device with better hardware.

In the end I think most people on here are overestimating how much people care about upgrades for these types of devices.

did Microsoft said in any site that windows phone 7 will not get wp8 upgrade ? no they did not until they release info your argument invalid

Um yeah.. it is very obvious that none of the current Windows Phone 7 phones will get WIndows Phone 8.

Read this one:

http://www.slashgear...iders-18223360/

And then read this one which the Microsoft guy says he rushed to his statement that Windows Phone 7 phones will get an upgrade to Apolo

http://www.engadget....indows-phone-8/

With that, what's the point of buying a phone that you know you won't get the new OS on?

I would say it's very ironic that Microsoft and Nokia are pushing commercials that claim other phones are BETA test, when their WIndows Phone 7 and Nokia Lumia phones are beta test in the truest sense of the word, especially if they won't get Windows Phone 8.

No, it's senseless and negative complaining. You made the decision to come into this thread in the Windows Phone subforum and complain that this is non news. Well, for those of us interested in the Lumia phones, maybe we do want to know how it's selling. This article was posted on a Windows Phone site, so guess what they write articles about?

I could see your point if this was front page news, but since it's in the right place for those of us who care, you should just go away please.

Upgrading the OS is not something the majority of phone buyers think about

Right.. when Android phones have a delay in getting the latest Android update (btw, they get it, it just takes a while), it's fragmentation, but when Microsoft is in question, then consumers just don't care. Got it.

Right.. when Android phones have a delay in getting the latest Android update (btw, they get it, it just takes a while), it's fragmentation, but when Microsoft is in question, then consumers just don't care. Got it.

No, it would be the same thing. Fortunately, WP8 will run on current devices.

But did they say they WOULD get the update? No, so it's very possible his argument is very valid.

Um yeah.. it is very obvious that none of the current Windows Phone 7 phones will get WIndows Phone 8.

Read this one:

http://www.slashgear...iders-18223360/

And then read this one which the Microsoft guy says he rushed to his statement that Windows Phone 7 phones will get an upgrade to Apolo

http://www.engadget....indows-phone-8/

With that, what's the point of buying a phone that you know you won't get the new OS on?

I would say it's very ironic that Microsoft and Nokia are pushing commercials that claim other phones are BETA test, when their WIndows Phone 7 and Nokia Lumia phones are beta test in the truest sense of the word, especially if they won't get Windows Phone 8.

nope those random sites who claims they have a source inside who told them something about windows phone 8

its nothing but bla bla bla when an official statement comes out wake me up

I haven't brought Android up into this at all but since you seem to want to go there, are you sure they ALL get it? Because I bet you, hands down, the majority, the vast majority, of mid-level and lower end Android devices out that are often sold for free with contract (and make up most of Androids market if you ask me) don't and never will get upgraded. Hell I still see carriers selling phones now with v2.3 and they're marketed as new phones.

Do all the people who get those actually care? It seems to me that they don't, I don't see a major revolt and people jumping the Android ship to move to iOS again because those get updates regardless and so on. My point stands, and I'd rather you didn't try to turn this into some fanboi spat because I'm not interested.

I haven't brought Android up into this at all but since you seem to want to go there, are you sure they ALL get it? Because I bet you, hands down, the majority, the vast majority, of mid-level and lower end Android devices out that are often sold for free with contract (and make up most of Androids market if you ask me) don't and never will get upgraded. Hell I still see carriers selling phones now with v2.3 and they're marketed as new phones.

Do all the people who get those actually care? It seems to me that they don't, I don't see a major revolt and people jumping the Android ship to move to iOS again because those get updates regardless and so on. My point stands, and I'd rather you didn't try to turn this into some fanboi spat because I'm not interested.

Those phones still being sold with 2.3 are usually low end single core phones. The low end phones are also priced for those who cannot afford a high end phone, or for those people who only need to do the basic tasks with a smartphone. Most of the high end phones will be getting upgraded and it seems now that every week you hear about a new phone being upgraded. So things are getting better for Android, slowly.

And the majority of Android users probably dont care or even know what version of the OS they are using. Its just this topic is used to slam android by people who do not like the platform, or from DEVs who are just out to make a quick buck. So shall have to see what happens if/when WP7 phones being sold now will be upgraded and how people will react.

Um.. most stores got like 3-4 units.. maybe 8 tops.. It has already been confirmed, somebody posted an article before. Best Buy shouldn't be any different.

So in other words, you have absolutely no idea.

Another fact-free post from Boz. Thanks for wasting everyone's time again :rolleyes: