Android Vs iOS The Truth about Apple and Google's OS

For somebody that has the compulsive urge to "hack" into their phone and wants to be able to play NES on their 4" screen, then Android is perfect for them.

What?? Even out of the box Android does things that you'd have to jailbreak iOS to do. And did you not watch the video? Hook your phone/tablet up to your 50" HDTV and boom you have a console to play your favourite classic games for free. You'd have to pay for that stuff on Xbox, if it even support those same games.

For somebody that wants a clean interface that never lags and there is no worries about catching a virus, then iOS is the way to go.

lol, you're funny. If you like looking at an expensive paper weight with an Apple logo, sure.

It's a little too early to judge Windows Phone, but it seems they are making pretty decent strides to provide the quality and stability of iOS. They just need a bigger app and phone selection.

Yeah, not providing updates to WP8 for a phone released 4/5 months earlier is definitely the way to go. WP has the worst of both worlds. It has no apps, customisability, or support, and it's locked down like Apple's iOS. You can't get much worse than that.

Android still can't figure out how to get rid of the lag and crashing problems, and for that sake

Did you watch the video?? It talks about that too.. http://www.forbes.co...id-a-data-dive/

IOS crashes more than Android these are facts with numbers not just a guess like you are doing.

Android has a crash report feature which you might think is annoying but is effective. everytime an app crash you can send it directly to developer(with all crash info) and they can fix it immediately but this is not there in IOS.

Many apps release updates and the change log says "Fixed crash reported by users"

Light years? Sure they have a few trivial features that iOS doesn't have, but how much does that really matter? Personally, I think not much. Android still can't figure out how to get rid of the lag and crashing problems, and for that sake, I think it's really sad. If somebody can make their phone faster and more stable by installing a custom ROM, that's a clear sign that the core OS is laughable.

Trivial features LOL.

Yeah..that's why facts show that iOS apps crash more. Every single argument Apple fans have is being destroyed left and right. But I guess this denial is natural since iPhone/iPad users live in an Apple bubble.

in the first video when he kept mentioning how in iOS it took more steps and android, it reminded me how i felt about windows 8 compared to windows 7 ha...

How is 2.3 (gingerbread) more complicated? Samsung uses it's own TouchWiz UI, so it's pretty consistent (UI wise) from one Samsung device to the next. The video's in this thread show a 2.2 (Froyo) device still outdoing iOS in terms of easy of use, consistency, and functionality.

i didn't mean 2.3 is more complicated. the complicated part a comment to the bolded part of your comment concerning fragmentation. and that had nothing to do with what your point. i was just saying brand new android devices are still coming out with old software on them.

yeah really

Many Android OEM's still honour warranty after rooting/install a custom rom. And the bootloaders are often unlocked so it doesn't require a hack like on iOS or WP to root. And as Still1 said, iOS has to be jailbroken to just to basic things that Android does out of the box or with third party apps.

really? what android OEM's? Cause the two OEM's android devices i have owned, don't (samsung and asus)

It's very easy to backup your system then install a custom rom, and if things don't work out. restore it. The Android rom community is great for that.

oh i know. titanium backup is awesome, except it was a pain in the ass getting my honeycomb backup to move over to ICS properly, half the apps and settings didn't transfer over.

You mean in terms of updates? If the Lumia's 900 isn't going to get the WP8 update, then I'd say WP is worse.

you don't know that. no one does. and no one is talking about windows phone... windows phone has nothing to do with this thread.

Iphone has to be jailbroken to do simple tasks which in Android is just a download away like wifi/bluetooth/gps/etc toggle, Themes. Imagine what Android can do when rooted.

android can't do much more rooted then not rooted. you can use titanium backup, an adblocker, mess with system settings, that's about it if it's rooted. custom roms/kernels give it the real power of customization. but i agree with with the simple tasks part of your post.

if you watched the video's you'd see that's actually a misnomer. If you have your music collection across devices (PC, mobile etc) and in a format apple doesn't approve of then you have to jump through hoops to get to the music, namely, waiting for iOS to convert it to its own DRM, or in some cases like OGG it doesn't work at all.

App support again is an inconsistent experience on iOS as illustrated in the video's. From lack of features to poor system integration and cross device support. Then there's the cost factor.

Then wait for it to get bricked by Apple. Or when it stops working your warranty is voided. And no you still can't customise it like Android.

why would apple brick your device? that's something i would expect Boz to say. Apple has never and would never purposely brick a device of it's customers. and if your device stops working then that's a hardware failure and they can't tell your jailbroke it anyways. and yeah you can customize it like android, the only difference may be there isn't a million different launchers.

also i can show you a crap ton of apps that look and do things different then one another.

and i don't care what any android video shows me, managing your music via itunes is easier then any android way IMO. especially when android support is junk on OSX.

Light years? Sure they have a few trivial features that iOS doesn't have, but how much does that really matter? Personally, I think not much. Android still can't figure out how to get rid of the lag and crashing problems, and for that sake, I think it's really sad. If somebody can make their phone faster and more stable by installing a custom ROM, that's a clear sign that the core OS is laughable.

hey manc, don't bother... his BS is covered by like the great wall of china that can't be penetrated no matter what logic you throw his way.

Yeah, not providing updates to WP8 for a phone released 4/5 months earlier is definitely the way to go. WP has the worst of both worlds. It has no apps, customisability, or support, and it's locked down like Apple's iOS. You can't get much worse than that.

Nice that you're taking rumors as proof even though every week someone new comes out and says they have "official" proof WP8 will come out for WP7 devices, and then 2 days later some other guy claims it won't.

But hell how many Android phones have ICS? And that was released in like September 2011.

Yes I know you can get a custom ICS rom from XDA, but guess what you can do the same with WP7: http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=783

Trivial features LOL.

Yeah..that's why facts show that iOS apps crash more. Every single argument Apple fans have is being destroyed left and right. But I guess this denial is natural since iPhone/iPad users live in an Apple bubble.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you, since that's clearly a waste of time. In my personal experience (and yes I know that differs outside of my world), I've almost never seen a crash on iOS. I've had Safari crash one or two times when I had an iPad 2, but I've yet to see a single crash on my 3rd gen and 4S. I work in a tech field, so there are plenty of nerds around here that constantly upgrade to the latest-greatest gadgets, and nothing has been more laughable than some of the Android devices. It's not even worth nagging the let down of the tablets, but the Galaxy Note is plain embarrassing in itself. For a phone with impressive specs, it sure performs like crap. Any Android phone I've picked up has noticeable lag and eventually crashes (most usually when using the camera). I just find it really hard to believe that somebody has "proved" that iOS is more unstable than Android. Personally, I just think that's BS from a biased source.

All I have to say is enjoy your lag infested and crash happy Android phone... Here's to hoping your next upgrade (maybe) will fix it... :pint:

hey manc, don't bother... his BS is covered by like the great wall of china that can't be penetrated no matter what logic you throw his way.

:D Yeah I might as well just let it go before the nerd rage gets out of control.

^^You have never seen a crash because you never know when there was a crash...

It would just go to home screen... I showed proof from forbes about higer crash on IOS do you have any similar proof like that?

If you dont I am not going to bother arguing with you.

I used an android tablet ( transformer ), wanted to throw it at a wall short time after.

I'm not even going to bring up the many Faults with Boz's answers. Dudes a Fanboy if there ever was one. Anybody that doesn't agree with him 100% is an apple fan and hates android for some reason.

And to customize it, you have to root it, same as iOS. And App crash's are dependent on the program itself, not always the device.

*edit - I just read Boz's comment about biased and Apple bubble. HAHAHAHA, dude is so blind it's not funny, so many comparisons of him to various historical figures it's not funny

I seriously think he has the FleshBot Android case on Preorder

• Like 2

Not much has changed with iOS. It has been pretty much the same software/hardware wise since the begining. It is getting stale and really falling behind.

As for android, people can bitch and moan about fragmentation all they want. IT is not slowing down sales and for the most part, people either do not care or know what version of the OS they are on. They people who bitch about it is either people who do not like Android, or DEVs who dont want to do a little extra work for Android. And its obvious that Android can do more OOTB that iOS can. And when you root an android phone, you unlock so much more of the phones potential.

People here can argue that the OS is crap..has radio/modem problems...blah blah blah. Only a few devices have had this issue and EVERY OS has problems. iOS had their fare share and I am sure WP7 will get theirs as well. The only thing that matters is if the companies learn from their F'ups and come out with a proper fix quickly and is received well by the users.

I was with Android since the beginning when they were the underdog and they have gone a LOOOONG way since their first release (G1). My main reason for going Android was you get more bang for your buck and the devices were much cheaper. Now the devices are about as expensive as iOS, but you still get more back for your buck with Android.

Bottom line with buying a devices...dont be a dumb **** and buy something because your friend has it and recommended it. I recommend things all day long BUT I also tell the person dont be an idiot and do your own research to make sure whatever you buy will do what you need it to do. And if you dont do your own research, dont come crying to me and say I recommended a crap device. There are times I recommend iOS (like my bro-inlaw who owns all Apple products and wanted to know if he should go iOS tab or Android) I told him iOS (iPad) would probably suit him more but again, do your own research.

Not much has changed with iOS. It has been pretty much the same software/hardware wise since the begining. It is getting stale and really falling behind.

As for android, people can bitch and moan about fragmentation all they want. IT is not slowing down sales and for the most part, people either do not care or know what version of the OS they are on. They people who bitch about it is either people who do not like Android, or DEVs who dont want to do a little extra work for Android. And its obvious that Android can do more OOTB that iOS can. And when you root an android phone, you unlock so much more of the phones potential.

People here can argue that the OS is crap..has radio/modem problems...blah blah blah. Only a few devices have had this issue and EVERY OS has problems. iOS had their fare share and I am sure WP7 will get theirs as well. The only thing that matters is if the companies learn from their F'ups and come out with a proper fix quickly and is received well by the users.

I was with Android since the beginning when they were the underdog and they have gone a LOOOONG way since their first release (G1). My main reason for going Android was you get more bang for your buck and the devices were much cheaper. Now the devices are about as expensive as iOS, but you still get more back for your buck with Android.

Bottom line with buying a devices...dont be a dumb **** and buy something because your friend has it and recommended it. I recommend things all day long BUT I also tell the person dont be an idiot and do your own research to make sure whatever you buy will do what you need it to do. And if you dont do your own research, dont come crying to me and say I recommended a crap device. There are times I recommend iOS (like my bro-inlaw who owns all Apple products and wanted to know if he should go iOS tab or Android) I told him iOS (iPad) would probably suit him more but again, do your own research.

how do you figure that exactly? apple devices hold their value a crap ton better then any android device out there. and i like android and i bitch about fragmentation cause i don't get software updates ;)

i didn't mean 2.3 is more complicated. the complicated part a comment to the bolded part of your comment concerning fragmentation. and that had nothing to do with what your point. i was just saying brand new android devices are still coming out with old software on them.

I'm sure they'll get updated in time. ICS is still very new.

You realise that's a javascript benchmark for the webbrowser right? The performance problems people were having with older devices after the iOS5 update was general application and UI sluggishness.

oh i know. titanium backup is awesome, except it was a pain in the ass getting my honeycomb backup to move over to ICS properly, half the apps and settings didn't transfer over.

I use MyBackup Pro. Never had a problem.

you don't know that. no one does. and no one is talking about windows phone... windows phone has nothing to do with this thread.

Astra.Xtreme brought it up so I thought it was relevant. Especially as many people are complaining about Android updates and support.

that's not true if you are a samsung device owner...even an owner of a brand new samsung device the galaxy note which ships with 2.3. and it is more complicated, hence the fragemenation issues everyone compains about.

More than likely, companies were testing a device on a version older (but current) OS while ICS was being developed or just starting to roll out. Companies are not going to halt a phone release for a new OS version, go thru all the testing, delay their product release, and fall behind/lose money. Thats why OTA updates exist. Granted some devices will never get the new OS version and come companies are slower than others. But a lot of phones are getting ICS and a lot more with timelines. Even WP7 Lumia 900 is not being released with the latest OS as was posted on the FP and if the rumor is true, then WP7 will not be getting an upgrade to WP8.

how do you figure that exactly? apple devices hold their value a crap ton better then any android device out there. and i like android and i bitch about fragmentation cause i don't get software updates ;)

I am not talking about holding value. I am talking on what you can do to the device stock, or what you can do with it if you root it. With Android, you simply can do more with the device and you get more. And you care about Android fragmentation since you know whats going on. My point was many dont know whats up or even care as long as their device does what they need it to do. Same thing goes with the Windows PC environment. Many people are still using WinXP, many different hardware configs...and Windows is being supported like crazy. As long as a device/product has a good following/popularity...the support will come.

• Like 1

I'm sure they'll get updated in time. ICS is still very new.

im not. my tablet was suppose to get the update already and then samsung pushed the date back... now the only news any one has on anything samsung getting the ICS update is the galaxy S II and it's just a leaked rom.

You realise that's a javascript benchmark for the webbrowser right? The performance problems people were having with older devices after the iOS5 update was general application and UI sluggishness.

the problem in my personal experience when update the phones from 4 to 5 at work was that if you didn't do a clean install of it (like an OS update) it had updates. Best way to do it was to do a factory reset with the new os and then bring back your backup after.

I use MyBackup Pro. Never had a problem.

i will try that :D

Astra.Xtreme brought it up so I thought it was relevant. Especially as many people are complaining about Android updates and support.

which is fine and still irelevant to the OP's post. but what you said is still wrong ;)

Well you have convinced me android is still a mess and should be avoided until Google gets its act together.

Care to explain or do you just like tossing out blanket statements?

Cloud print is a Joke compared to Air print. Believe me I have tried both. When I talk about music management I taking about the whole ecosystem. I use foobar to manage my music. Iphone just works better with my car the android does.

Well, that may be the case. I think I used Cloud Print one time just to try it and didn't have any problem, but I honestly print something once every few months at the most period, I've never had a time when I wanted something printed from my phone and wished I had a way. Not to say others don't, just that I haven't had a whole lot of experience.

Also, I'm talking about the whole music management experience as well. Android has had wifi sync for a while that even connects to iTunes should you want it to on your computer, then you can use whatever app you want on your phone. Not to mention, my Samsung phone has better sound quality than even an iPhone (which is traditionally considered to be high end for sound quality). It has the Wolfson WM8994 DAC, similar to some older iPhones and (mostly) iPods with a high quality DAC, but coupled with a very good headphone amplifier as well, making it basically top of the line as far as sound quality goes.

As for a car, I'll give you that if you have USB input on your car with iPod support, then that is much nicer than the USB folder support that Android gives you with a USB connection (used to have an iPod that just sat in the center console of my 335 and used iDrive to control it), but I typically just use aux 3.5mm jacks for playing music in the car now rather than USB (Don't have the 335 anymore, haha), and I've got no issue using using an app on my phone to play the music. I'd give the iPhone the advantage on a car with a nice screen with controls built in like iDrive, but on a head unit with single line support, I wouldn't even want to use iPod integration over even using an iPod plugged in with a 3.5mm headphone cable.

Bottom line though, this whole which is better thing is getting so old by now. Just use what you like. There is no better. One is better at some things, another is better at others. You'll never get an answer to which one is best when it's based on opinion.

More than likely, companies were testing a device on a version older (but current) OS while ICS was being developed or just starting to roll out. Companies are not going to halt a phone release for a new OS version, go thru all the testing, delay their product release, and fall behind/lose money. Thats why OTA updates exist. Granted some devices will never get the new OS version and come companies are slower than others. But a lot of phones are getting ICS and a lot more with timelines. Even WP7 Lumia 900 is not being released with the latest OS as was posted on the FP and if the rumor is true, then WP7 will not be getting an upgrade to WP8.

oh really ? ;)

why would apple brick your device? that's something i would expect Boz to say. Apple has never and would never purposely brick a device of it's customers. and if your device stops working then that's a hardware failure and they can't tell your jailbroke it anyways. and yeah you can customize it like android, the only difference may be there isn't a million different launchers.

https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9039479/Update_Apple_plays_hardball_Upgrade_bricks_unlocked_iPhones

http://gizmodo.com/303171/apple-says-unlocked-iphones-will-brick-after-software-update-+-what-does-it-mean

also i can show you a crap ton of apps that look and do things different then one another.

I'm talking about core apps like youtube and the webbrowser. Android always has the back, home, and app list on the bottom as part of the OS. It's that consistency that makes all the difference. Then you have the lack of functionality in iOS' apps as shown in the videos.

and i don't care what any android video shows me, managing your music via itunes is easier then any android way IMO. especially when android support is junk on OSX.

I wouldn't wish iTunes on my worst enemy. It also doesn't even run on my OS (GNU/Linux). I prefer to keep my music collection in a DRM-less format thanks.