Rate Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kreuger

I can't vote. I have no interest in using Windows but Ubuntu surely isn't perfect.

ShMaunder

Crippled my HP Laserjet's at work. :/

See's the printers fine. But nothing prints. Happens on multiple printers and machines. Le'Sigh.

I'm not sure what the cause is. Though I also have the same problem since 11.04(ish). Can't print to a USB Samsung Laser printer nor to a Networked HP Colour Laserjet. It says it has successfully printed, but nothing happens except sometimes a light flashes on the Laserjet then stops.

I have resorted (been forced) to not printing which is better on the wallet and the environment.

• Like 1
pwnz0r3d

I don't like either Unity or the new HUD, so I've gone Mint instead, although I don't know what the hell is going on with the dual panels in Lisa :wacko: Running LXDE till they decide on cleaning up the mess.

n_K

Anyone got any screenshots of 12.04? Not really interested in installing it (plus only have 300MB free on /) but would like to see what it now looks like.

LargeLarry

Disclaimer: this is my opinion only.

I tried a few linux distros and started using Ubuntu about 2006. I really liked the direction it was going. Every new version made improvements.Then they decided to move the window buttons to the left side. Ok, i'll just switch it back. Then they introduced Unity. Ok, i'll log in with gnome. Then they removed that option and lost me. I tried 12.04 and it's just not for me. It's a great distro for beginners, and I rate it a 7 out of 10. I subtract 3 for Unity. lol

I learned a lot from using Ubuntu and I give them credit for introducing people to linux. I think everyone reaches a point where they want their system set up a certain way and move on to another distro. I moved to Arch linux and it's been a good experience.

Also: If Steam and valve games are released for linux, that would be the most awesome thing in a long time. I hope the rumours are true. :)

Sadelwo

12.04 is the first time I've installed Ubuntu on bare metal since version 6. it's easy to set up and supports all the hardware on a Dell Inspiron 531 I put it on. Getting software is real easy (no more apt) and it's pretty much smooth sailing. I boot into this machine just becasue I like the feel of something different but works.

Also: If Steam and valve games are released for linux, that would be the most awesome thing in a long time. I hope the rumours are true. :)

Once Unreal Engine, CryEngine and Frostbite 2.0 can be converted, I don't see any limitations.

Freelancer1111

I set up Ubuntu in a Virtual Maschine and I'm impressed how smooth it runs even in there.

Glad to see Rhythmbox coming back as Music Player, and there are also nice visuals as far as I can see in my VM.

While I miss the "old" software center from 11.xx versions, I still can't get many windows applications to work with Wine or PlayOnLinux.

It seems, to me, that the Ubuntu creators are changing their distro to a very new user friendly way, which I don't like as the versions I tried before :(

I would give a solid 7 to this Version, but I believe if I install Ubuntu directly on my PC, it will even better than now.

(Spork)

is still a problem with the gts 360M card ?

ever time i tried to load up ubuntu from 9 on i would get some nasty white rectangles on the boot screen and them nothing :/

Growled

I'm trying SolusOS and it's what Ubuntu wants to be.

Andre S.

Ubuntu used to pioneer usability in the Linux world, IMO it's gone another direction now, I'm not sure what they're really trying to achieve. I've been trying out Linux Mint which seems to have adopted the original Ubuntu philosophy of providing a feature-rich and easy to use distribution, and while the current version (12) feels somewhat incoherent, I do have high hopes for the next version and its new interface, Cinnamon. I've replaced all my Ubuntu VMs with Linux Mint, the transition was very smooth.

(Spork)

been on 12.04 for about 4 days ... and i like it im a no0b to linux or sure but with googles help i have learned a lot so far still basic stuff but im happy

• 2 weeks later...
.Neo

So far I find Ubuntu to be pretty user-friendly. In previous versions I had to fiddle around in Terminal to get my resolution to stick properly in VMware Fusion, but that has been fixed.

The only issue I ran into when trying to natively boot my iMac into Ubuntu is that for whatever it won't connect my Apple wireless keyboard. The Magic Trackpad works just fine though so it doesn't seem to be a bluetooth driver issue. :/ I've been using it with my old USB Apple Keyboard, but obviously I'd rather use my new one.

scape

12.04 is the first time I finally had the guts to switch entirely away from Windows, and I haven't looked back yet!

ShMaunder

I think I should update my feelings a little towards this release. I've upgraded to 12.04 from 11.10 about 6 days ago and had only previously used 12.04 inside a VM.

I was impressed that all my gnome and Unity settings came across from 11.10 successfully. I am also impressed that Compiz isn't taking over my system as much as 11.10 did in terms of memory and CPU usage. There are a lot of new updated packages available in both the server and desktop edition - was pleasantly surprised by the better version of phpMyAdmin available on the servers which remembers user settings like number of rows to display in a table etc. There is also MySQL 5.5 available out of the box.

The application search in Unity seems more consistent. When I type in 'cal' in 11.10 it gave me calculator, but when I searched for 'calc' it would give me LibreOffice Calc. Whereas in 12.04, a search for 'cal' and 'calc' gives me LibreOffice Calc in both instances. Though I would prefer calculator to be the first option - there should be a automated 'ratings' system in place to determine your most used applications IMHO.

I updated 3 servers from 10.10 to 12.04 around the same period. The 'do-release-upgrade' command took care of everything and there wasn't any major problems. I did accidentally write over a few config files on one of the servers which meant it lost AD/LDAP integration - re-configuring Samba, keytabs and the sudoers file fixed it.

Some of the bad points, which relate to the desktop edition:

> Maximising windows on multiple monitors with different resolutions has got to be the most stupidest and freaking annoying bug I have ever seen in Ubuntu. There are tons of threads relating to this since 12.04's release. Basically, if you have a window larger than the smallest resolution of say two monitors (either by X, Y or both X&Y), then it will ONLY maximise on the larger screen even if you're displaying it on the smaller resolution screen (i.e. the window will jump to the larger screen) - this occurs using both the maximise button and the snap feature.

> The HUD is useless at the moment - why was this introduced in an LTS. It conflicts with other programs that use the ALT button etc.

> LibreOffice, oh LibreOffice, where is your global menu (lo-menubar)! I've heard this will be fixed in 12.10 and may actually make the HUD useful.

> Though Compiz is better in this version, it is still a POS. I've also heard that it could be removed in 12.10 - though it'll be like developing Unity all over again if they do (remember the development problems between 11.04 => 11.10 when they went from GTK2 to GTK3, it'll be like that but worse).

> Not Ubuntu's fault, but VMWare Workstation is pretty broken and requires Community patches to compile kernel modules.

Rating: 7/10. Apologies for the long post - someone may find it "interesting" to read :)

Ently

This was the first time I have really used a Linux distro and I think it's really great.

What pushed me to try Linux in the first place ironically enough was Windows. I downloaded the Windows 8 Consumer Preview to try and after using that I was incredibly disappointed and frustrated with the direction that Windows was going so I started looking at alternatives for my day to day usage and found Ubuntu (I still use Windows to game but 99% of the time i'm in Linux).

I don't know how the other Linux builds stand up against this but my experience with this OS is definitely 10/10

It's fast, reliable and looks great I love it!

• 2 weeks later...
javagreen

All good except Compiz doesn't work in the Gnome shell with the currently available nVidia drivers and I can't seem to find Emerald anywhere :/

sanctified

I agree that it's odd that Canonical decided to release some test technologies in a LTS release.

Scorbing

It's not the worst, but its not the best. I think Linux Mint is way better.

giannisgx89

Well until i see some nice UI in linux i will never use it.

Even with themes it's pretty bad.

I really hope there will be a working version of photoshop for ubuntu!

pers3us

Well until i see some nice UI in linux i will never use it.

Even with themes it's pretty bad.

I really hope there will be a working version of photoshop for ubuntu!

Define nice UI for me please!

And working version of photoshop is not gonna happen! Give Gimp a try though!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      How to create encrypted partitions on Linux with GNOME Disks
      by Paul Hill

Some of most popular Linux distributions including Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora come with a disk and partition manager tool called GNOME Disks, a tool developed by the GNOME project. While it’s packed with features, one interesting capability that’s a bit tucked away is disk encryption; this can be used to create secure partitions on your hard drive or create an encrypted USB device.

In this short guide, I will show you how to create an encrypted USB stick. One of the drawbacks to encrypting the device using this method is that you'll be limited to what file system you use. To get started, go to your application menu and search or look for GNOME Disks, it might just be called Disks. If you don’t see it anywhere, then you’ll have to head to your package manager and do a search for it.

GNOME Disks showing multiple partitions on a USB stick Once you’ve opened GNOME Disks, you’ll need to plug in the USB device that you want to encrypt. The encryption process will wipe the device so be absolutely sure that you’ve backed up any important data.

When you plugged in your USB device, you should have seen it pop-up on the left-hand pane, if you didn’t, unplug the device and plug it in again. Once you see it, select it. At this point, you can keep the existing partitions intact and just format one of them or you can format the entire device, create a new partition, and encrypt everything.

The dialog box that appears once you choose to format the disk If you want to format everything, just press the three-dot menu button in the top right of GNOME Disks and select ‘Format Disk’ and feel free to adjust the erasure and partitioning options as you see fit. Once you're happy, hit ‘Format’ and then ‘Format’ again on the confirmation box. Once that’s done, you should see a plus button under the volumes, press that, select your partition size, and press ‘Next’.

Selecting EXT4 and LUKS encryption The next set of options are the most important, give your disk volume a name, then select the EXT4 option and tick the ‘Password protect volume’. If you do not want to use EXT4, press ‘Other’ and then hit ‘Next’. Here you can select XFS, Linux Swap Partition, BTRFS and possibly several others. Be sure to tick the ‘Password protect volume’ box on this screen if you choose one of these alternatives and press ‘Next’, then enter your password twice and press ‘Create’.

If you decided to keep several volumes on your device and you just want to encrypt one of a few of the partitions, select the partition to encrypt and press the gear icon next to the play and minus icons. You should now see ‘Format Partition’, selecting this will open up the same dialog box as the one described earlier and the instructions to encrypt the selected partitions are the same. Be sure that you’ve backed up any data from the partition you’re about to format.

While I’ve only gone over the instructions for encrypting a USB device, the guide is pretty much the same for encrypting internal and external hard drives too. If you plan to alter partitions on a hard drive that’s actively being used, you will have to do this process from a LiveUSB or LiveCD environment, and be sure that you’ve backed up any data you want to keep.

• By zikalify
      How to install and use Neofetch on desktop and mobile
      by Paul Hill

If you’ve spent any time looking around Linux subreddits, you may have seen some desktop screenshots where the user has their terminal displaying their system’s specs next to the logo of the operating system they use. While other programs can display information like this, one of the common options is called Neofetch – a program written in bash and available on all the popular operating systems and niche ones.

In this guide, I’ll show you how to install Neofetch on Windows, Mac, popular Linux distributions, Android and even iOS. In addition to installation, we’ll walk through some of the more advanced commands that you can run with Neofetch to customise the output.

Neofetch on Windows
      On Windows, you will need to install Neofetch using a tool called Scoop, a command-line installer for Windows. To install Scoop, you must be using Windows 7 SP1+ / Windows Server 2008+ and have PowerShell 5 and .NET Framework 4.5. Once you’ve got these, you’ll need to enter the following command in PowerShell: Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Scope CurrentUser, affirm the changes if it asks.

Next, you’ll want to install Scoop using PowerShell. To do this, use the following command: Invoke-Expression (New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://get.scoop.sh'). You’ll be able to tell if Scoop has been installed by running: scoop help. Before installing Neofetch, you'll need to install git using Scoop, just type: scoop install git.

If all of those are installed properly, you’re now ready to install Neofetch by typing: scoop install neofetch. Once that is installed just type: neofetch into PowerShell and it will display your system’s specs and the Windows logo.

Neofetch on Mac
      Getting Neofetch working on a Mac is quite a bit easier than the process on Windows. Simply open the Mac Terminal and paste the following command to install Homebrew: /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)". With that installed you can type: brew install neofetch and once it’s done just type: neofetch to display your specs next to the Apple logo.

Neofetch on Linux
      Neofetch is easy to install on most Linux distribution, this guide includes instructions for installing Neofetch on Arch, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and their derivatives. For most of these, you will be asked to provide an administrator password.

Arch
      Install the package from the command line with the following command:

pacman -S neofetch

Debian
      Install the package from the command line with the following commands:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install neofetch

Fedora

sudo dnf install neofetch

OpenSUSE

sudo zypper install neofetch

Ubuntu
      Install the package from the command line with the following commands:

sudo apt update

sudo apt install neofetch

Once you have completed the Neofetch installation on any Linux system, you can run the program by just typing: neofetch into the command line. You will be shown the specs of your computer next to the logo of your particular Linux distribution.

Neofetch on Android

Using Neofetch on Android is fairly straight forward, just head to the Google Play Store and download the Termux terminal emulator, it can also be downloaded from F-Droid if you do not have access to the Play Store for some reason.

Once that’s installed, open it up and type: pkg update and select yes to any questions, this is usually achieved by typing y and pressing enter. Run this command twice just to make sure everything is ready. After you’ve done that, type: pkg install neofetch, when that’s complete type: neofetch. You can pinch to zoom out if any of the output is cut off.

Neofetch on iOS
      Neofetch can only be downloaded on iOS with a jailbroken device. You should use a package manager like Sileo to search for and install neofetch. Jailbreaking and installing a package manager is beyond the scope of this tutorial but you can find more information about Sileo on the project’s website.

Advanced options
      Neofetch’s default settings should be sufficient for most people but it does come with a decent amount of customisability. If you are comfortable reading help files just type: neofetch --help to see the range of options available to you, if not, here are some pretty cool selections.

When you run Neofetch it will display your operating system’s logo by default but you can make it display any logo by adding to the command. To do this just type: neofetch --ascii_distro distroname and replace distroname with something like ubuntu, fedora, windows etc. Amending _old to the operating system's name will load the old ASCII image if your selection has one. You can find a full list of supported operating systems within the help file, to access that type: neofetch --help.

If you want to personalise your Neofetch output you can create your own ASCII art and supply that to Neofetch. Once you have your ASCII art ready save it a .asc file, then type: neofetch --ascii /path/to/filename.asc.

Conclusion
      The advanced features outlined above are not exhaustive by any means, there are lots of settings that you can choose by diving into the Neofetch help file but the ones outlined above will help you get started. If you enjoy tweaking your desktop and want to show it off online, be sure to have your Neofetch output in the foreground so you can show off your specs too!

• By zikalify
      Ubuntu 21.04 gets the codename ‘Hirsute Hippo'
      by Paul Hill

Following the release of Ubuntu 20.10 almost a week ago, Canonical has revealed the name of the next version of Ubuntu to be ‘Hirsute Hippo’ – the adjective means hairy. Ubuntu 21.04 ‘Hirsute Hippo’ is set to be released next April and is the third Ubuntu release with an ‘H’ codename, the first being Ubuntu 5.04 'Hoary Hedgehog' and the second being Ubuntu 8.04 ‘Hardy Heron’.

Now that we know which animal has been chosen for the codename, it's likely that one of the wallpapers in Ubuntu 21.04 will feature a hippo as has been the case in most prior Ubuntu releases. Ubuntu 21.04 will be an inter-LTS release meaning that it will only be supported for nine months. While it will be stable, most people might be better off staying with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS until 2022 when the next LTS arrives.

According to Phoronix, the Hirsute Hippo is set to come with the GNOME 40 desktop environment, the Linux 5.11 kernel, Mesa 21.0 with more graphics support, Python 3.9, and GCC 10. This release could come with a new desktop installer and Wayland made the default instead of X.Org but nothing has been confirmed yet.

In the coming days, Canonical will start spinning Daily Build ISOs for Hirsute Hippo but the most exciting dates will be April 1 when the beta arrives, April 15 when we get the release candidate, and April 22 when Ubuntu 21.04 finally ships.

Source: Martin Wimpress (Twitter) via Phoronix

• By zikalify
      Ubuntu 20.10 ‘Groovy Gorilla' is available to download now
      by Paul Hill

Canonical has announced the immediate availability of Ubuntu 20.10 ‘Groovy Gorilla’. While this version is considered stable and fit to be run as a daily driver, it is not a Long Term Support (LTS) release and will therefore only receive security updates for nine months.

The new version comes with a variety of new software including Linux Kernel 5.8 and GNOME 3.38. Developer tools such as programming languages and compilers have also received updates - this release ships with glibc 2.32, OpenJDK 11, rustc 1.41, GCC 10, LLVM 11, Python 3.8.6, ruby 2.7.0, php 7.4.9, perl 5.30, and golang 1.13.

Another notable point about this upgrade is that Canonical has spun a new desktop image aimed at Raspberry Pi 4 devices that have at least 4GB of RAM. Raspberry Pi’s new Compute Module 4 is also supported by the Groovy Gorilla but you’ll need to have 4GB of RAM and 16GB of eMMC or equivalent SD card storage.

Those who want to download and try the new version can download it from the Ubuntu download page. If you’re running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and want to upgrade you’ll need to open Software & Updates, head to the Updates tab, and change the Notify me of a new Ubuntu version drop down to For any new version. From there, open the update manager and you’ll be offered the upgrade.

• By Rich Woods
      Dell refreshes its XPS 13 and XPS 13 2-in-1 with Intel Tiger Lake, Thunderbolt 4, and more
      by Rich Woods

Back at CES, Dell announced a redesign for its XPS 13 laptop, and that design also came to the XPS 15 (and the brand-new XPS 17) in May. Now, the XPS 13 2-in-1 is getting the new look, which means that it's getting its IR camera back. Indeed, when Dell finally moved the webcam above the screen, the IR camera took an extra generation to come with it. While the XPS 13 2-in-1 was the last to get the overhaul, it had the least amount of work to do, already having a slim profile and a 16:10 screen.

XPS 13 2-in-1 The XPS 13 clamshell is getting a refresh today as well. As was teased at Intel's launch event earlier this month, both PCs are getting Intel's new 11th-generation 'Tiger Lake' processors. Tiger Lake is the company's second-gen 10nm platform, and it comes with new Iris Xe graphics, which you'll find in the new laptops.

That's not all though, because they come with Thunderbolt 4. That means that the USB Type-C ports can power dual 4K displays off of a single port, or it can power an 8K display. Memory is getting a boost too, as they come with 4267MHz LPDDR4x instead of 37633MHz.

XPS 13 Developer Edition As usual, the XPS 13 is getting a Developer Edition variant, which comes with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Moreover, Dell says it's added functionality to allow all XPS 13 users switch their system to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, even if they didn't get the Developer Edition.

The Dell XPS 13, XPS 13 2-in-1, and XPS 13 Developer Edition will all be available beginning on September 30. The XPS 13 2-in-1 starts at $1,249, and there will be a Frost model with Arctic White woven glass fiber palm rest coming later. The XPS 13 starts at $999, and the Developer Edition's pricing will be announced later.