No sound on fresh install of Windows 7

I have an Asus P7H55-M SI motherboard.

It contains a "Realtek ALC887 audio codec".

I tried audio drivers from the Asus and Realtek websites, neither worked.

Neither of the above two drivers installed any utilities.

I connect to my stereo speakers via. a jack cable, connected to the front audio jacks on the case.

I remember before I reformatted, there was an audio utility that allowed me to switch to using the front audio jacks.

I can not remember if the utility was from Realtek or not.

I do not use HDMI anywhere on the system.

Any ideas?

post-645-0-77345300-1336556631.png

Did you try installing the chipset drivers for the motherboard ?

And if you right click one of those entries and choose "Show disabled devices" does it show up ?

Did you try installing the chipset drivers for the motherboard ?

And if you right click one of those entries and choose "Show disabled devices" does it show up ?

I have the latest Intel chipset drivers installed, no different.

There are no disabled devices.

I was about to edit that post with What does device manager say, but Windows Update popped up just as I hit the spacebar and rebooted the PC :D

I was about to edit that post with What does device manager say, but Windows Update popped up just as I hit the spacebar and rebooted the PC :D

It matches what is shown in the first attachment.

post-645-0-82691500-1336558847.png

And you don't have any extra sound cards fitted ?

If the chipset didn't sort it, I would uninstall all of those HD drivers and try just the drivers on the motherboard site for the audio

My board shows 2 x AMD High Definition Audio Device (I guess the 2 x GPUs) and 1 x Realtek High Definition Audio Device (Onboard) and I never installed any drivers from Realtek, just the ones listed on the motherboard drivers site

And you don't have any extra sound cards fitted ?

If the chipset didn't sort it, I would uninstall all of those HD drivers and try just the drivers on the motherboard site for the audio

My board shows 2 x AMD High Definition Audio Device and 1 x Realtek High Definition Audio Device and I never installed any drivers from Realtek, just the ones listed on the motherboard drivers site

I have no other soundcard installed.

As I said in the first post, I tried drivers from both the Asus and Realtek websites.

The drivers available on the Asus website were just out-of-date Realtek drivers.

I do not know why there are five "Digital Audio (HDMI)" devices appearing.

I have no other soundcard installed.

As I said in the first post, I tried drivers from both the Asus and Realtek websites.

The drivers available on the Asus website were just out-of-date Realtek drivers.

I do not know why there are five "Digital Audio (HDMI)" devices appearing.

I just edited, I think they are the GPUs, are you running CFX or SLI ?

HDMI sound can be used from them, if you right click the playback devices HDMIs and choose Show Disabled Devices" does the correct soundcard appear ?

Pro 9000 ? Is that a webcam ?

Looks like the actual onboard sound card is not being detected (Realtek)

Show Hidden Devices in device manager ?

I just edited, I think they are the GPUs, are you running CFX or SLI ?

HDMI sound can be used from them, if you right click the playback devices HDMIs and choose Show Disabled Devices" does the correct soundcard appear ?

It is not my graphics card as they did not appear before I re-installed Windows.

As I said above, there are no disabled devices. "Show Disabled Devices" is enabled in the screenshot above.

Capture.PNG

The AMD drivers are my GPUs I'm assuming

The Realtek is my onboard sound

Could you have changed something in the BIOS that has disabled onboard ?

EDIT - Why does your device manager show an entry for Batteries ?

I think something in the BIOS is set incorrectly maybe for plug and play OS or something that is stopping the OS from detecting the hardware correctly

Try resetting your BIOS and setting it back up again, then reboot into windows and see if it picks up new devices

Capture.PNG

I would try unplugging the webcam too incase its confusing Windows by having a mic, maybe windows is seeing that as the soundcard ?

Sound disabled in the BIOS seems the most likely cause. Then you will need to install the Realtek drivers or similar for your sound card (these are separate from the Intel chipset drivers) but there's a good chance Windows will get suitable ones for you automatically once it detects your sound card.

Guys, I had no issues two hours ago before I re-installed Windows.

So it can not be a graphics card, webcam or BIOS issue.

You have reinstalled Windows, and windows has not detected the soundcard, if it had there would at least be a ! entry in device manager, if windows does not detect hardware, it is generally a hardware fault be it BIOS or Conflict

Resetting the BIOS and unplugging any other devices with audio capabilities is the way to troubleshoot windows not seeing audio hardware

Did you run Windows Update yet ?

I'm assuming you are running the latest BIOS 1302 ?

Just read you have connected it to the front panel port

Have you tried the rear audio out jack ?

When I unplug mine from the rear jack it switches to digital in the playback window, when I plug it back in, it won't reconnect the correct device until I press OK on the realtek popup that detects which port I have plugged it into

Maybe its the front jacks that are the issue ?

ffs, I knew resetting the BIOS was a bad idea. Now the system BSODs everytime after the Windows loading screen appears for 1 second.

Let me sort this out.

Also - how can I be the front jacks? They worked fine three hours ago.

THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE ISSUE PEOPLE.

Make sure AHCI vs SATA vs IDE is set as it was when you reinstalled Windows, that will be the BSOD reason

Yep, changing "Configure SATA as IDE" to "Configure SATA as AHCI" allowed me to boot again.

Windows found no new hardware upon reboot, therefore so far nothing has changed.

I found an option in the BIOS to change from HD Audio to AC'97 or something along those lines.

I will uninstall these HD Audio drivers, change that option in the BIOS and install the latest AC'97 drivers.

Maybe that will work.

Change AHCI settings to fix your BSOD. Disable automatic jack detection in your sound control panel, this should sort out your problem.

Yep, changing "Configure SATA as IDE" to "Configure SATA as AHCI" allowed me to boot again.

Windows found no new hardware upon reboot, therefore so far nothing has changed.

I found an option in the BIOS to change from HD Audio to AC'97 or something along those lines.

I will uninstall these HD Audio drivers, change that option in the BIOS and install the latest AC'97 drivers.

Maybe that will work.

I have mine set to HD I believe

Change AHCI settings to fix your BSOD. Disable automatic jack detection in your sound control panel, this should sort out your problem.

Screenshot please.

Screenshot please.

I can't find the option from the control panel, mine asks me when I plug something into the rear ports, it pops up and has the option to disable jack detection

Capture.PNG

EDIT - Right clicking the Green circle on the right side of the window ^^^ and choosing Connector Retasking brings up the same box

I can't find the option from the control panel, mine asks me when I plug something into the rear ports, it pops up and has the option to disable jack detection

Capture.PNG

EDIT - Right clicking the Green circle on the right side of the window ^^^ and choosing Connector Retasking brings up the same box

See - that software has never installed on my system and I do not know why!

It is listed as 1.PNG in the actual Windows Control Panel

Mine was just downloaded from the ASUS drivers site for the board

Maybe try downloading from a different boards drivers that uses the same chip

Here is mine (win 7 x64)

http://dlcdnet.asus....3_VistaWin7.zip

Might need to manually update the driver again in device manager if its not the correct one but it should install the software

It is listed as 1.PNG in the actual Windows Control Panel

Mine was just downloaded from the ASUS drivers site for the board

Maybe try downloading from a different boards drivers that uses the same chip

Here is mine (win 7 x64)

http://dlcdnet.asus....3_VistaWin7.zip

Might need to manually update the driver again in device manager if its not the correct one but it should install the software

Yep - that never appears in Control Panel :/

I effing gave up and installed a crap ASonic PCI sound card :(

Remove every single "High Definition Audio Device"

Click and hold shift + delete. check off delete the drive software"

Once that's done, go to the top, Action, then Scan for Hardware changes.

Now the computer will be forced to search for new drivers, point any new devices found to the driver you have downloaded form Asus

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/Realtek_Audio_v51006069_6016069_XPVISTAWIN7.zip

Hopfully this makes sense, I have not had my coffee yet.