Please help: My Lumia 800's frozen up and won't respond.

Hey.

I got this Lumia 800 from my brother (who got it for review) and have been using it for more than a month. Till now I hadn't faced a single glitch.

Just a few hours ago I was typing out a text to a friend while listening to music with my earphones plugged in when the device vibrated once (in hindsight: this vibration was similar to the one the device makes when it was powering on/off) and...that's it. It froze.

I can still see the screen I was on when this occurred (the messaging screen) because the phone's stuck there. I have tried the three keys below the screen. They don't respond (don't even buzz/vibrate like they usually do). The screen is unresponsive. Nothing happens when I press/hold the buttons on the side (including the power button). I have tried removing the SIM card, but that did nothing. I have tried charging the device (I dunno why. I was out of ideas.) but even that accomplished nothing.

Right now my only strategy is to wait till the device's battery runs out and it shuts. But I don't even know if THAT will happen for sure. Can anyone here suggest something? Has this happened to you before? What do I do?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

EDIT: I just solved my own issue. If you do a soft reset (hold the volume down + power key for 10sec), then the phone shuts down successfully and you can restart it. Thanks for playing along, guys! (If you face a similar problem in the future, then just do what I did!)

Stinks you can't pull the battery on that one. Holding the power and vol down button for 10s doesn't do anything?

How long did you charge it for? Could take awhile if low (the meter is glitchy sometimes).

Pull the battery, reinstall, plug into AC power and see what image you get then.

Can't pull the battery in the Lumia 800 without dismantling it, the reset instructions above are the best bet

Pulling the battery is never a good idea. Its a cop out. Im sick and tired of people saying "pull the battery on your laptop/phone/etc". No....

Just do the reset which ALWAYS works, this way it tells the hardware, "hey i've encountered some kind of an error, lets force restart the device". For some device's the os will reevaluate the system files / hardware and see if there is an error for others it'll create a diagnostic report with the time date and what caused problems before the device locked up, etc.

Pulling the battery is never a good idea. Its a cop out. Im sick and tired of people saying "pull the battery on your laptop/phone/etc". No....

Just do the reset which ALWAYS works, this way it tells the hardware, "hey i've encountered some kind of an error, lets force restart the device". For some device's the os will reevaluate the system files / hardware and see if there is an error for others it'll create a diagnostic report with the time date and what caused problems before the device locked up, etc.

Fail. I support many different devices at work and as a last resort, I tell them to pull the battery for 30 seconds. Works EVERY time and no data is lost, unlike a reset.

Fail! I've had a number of occasions were a laptop was going really wanky, even after a power off. it was only after unplugging and pulling the battery and hitting the power button a few times and plugging it back in that it started working great. Although I will say it's always a good idea (if you can) to shut it off before pulling the battery.

• 3 months later...

People! Please stop fighting. I can't dismantle the battery of the 800 and would be too scared to do so even if I knew how to. I just performed the soft reset and, thankfully, it worked. :)