• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Toolbar layout Help

Snakeyes    0

Every time I restart my computer it goes back to the original toolbar layout. I can easily change and add/delete toolbars and they work fine till I restart, then they are all gone and I am left with the original layout from when I first installed WinXP RC2.

Any ideas will be appreciated including any references to the appropriate items in the registry that are responsible for the startup toolbar layout.

Ustas    0

The registry key where Windows store toolbar information is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerStreamsDesktop

The Taskbar value is store toolbars on taskbar and Toolbars value for all other toolbars.

But I think this information can not help you (I do not know format of this values). But I know why Windows do not saves layout: Windows saves toolbar layout on exit (shell exit). And some times shell (explorer.exe) do not exits correctly. In this case all information about layout will lose.

I think than the incorrect exit of shell may cause some shell extentions you have. Inspect your context menu of files/folders and try to deinstall some of items from there. This can be helpfull .:) Or try to close all apps from systray (using TaskMan if they do not want to close)

I know about all this because I'm author of True Launch Bar. It uses the same technology as std QuickLaunch and some users report this bug to me.

Snakeyes    0

Yuri my man you just answered my question. I had and just installed the beta version of True Launch Bar when I noticed my problem. Love your program use it and recommend it highly .

Will follow youradvice to see if I can solve the problem. If any other ideas come to you please post. Thanks

me101    0

Yuri: completly exellent program, I am actually gonna register this sucker as it makes my app launch life so neat!

One question, what modifications/enhancements are you planning in the future?

Ustas    0

About Toolbar layout: 100% working way is make needed layout on other computer, logoff, logon, save registry keys (I mentioned in the prev post), and load all this on your computer. There no matter if you make on other Windows (I think). Anyway Win98 and Win2000 is compatible with this keys :)

True Launch Bar:

Here is some of enhancements will be in the next version:

1. Colored text for menu items
  2. Some improvements for Virtual Folders
    - Hide items (My Control Panel is too big);)
    - More correctly tracking updates in VF
    - New look of tooltips (Using shells standard)
  3. Some cosmetic improvements in menus
  4. You will can block run-on-mouse-hover by pressing CTRL

One more I plan to publish Plugins Developer's Kit and the Clock button with sources as sample. So the further development of TLB will be in plugins. But there some things I must to make for launching itself. We have forum on our site, If you want to suggest something simply write and I make this :)