Stereo Tube/valve Receivers from the early 60s

Technology has the ability to improve many things but one thing that has been getting worse over the years are audio appliances..... Much better then that cheap chinese throw away garbage. Nothing beats a nice tube amp from the 1960s..... Anyone else use them?

post-228134-0-55184500-1337006814_thumb.

post-228134-0-07404400-1337006882_thumb.

post-228134-0-47207600-1337006889_thumb.

one thing that has been getting worse over the years are audio appliances

Nonsense! The spectrum of appliances has grown - there's more cheap units based around cheaper components, but high-end valve-based amps are still very much available. My point being: What you could buy for ?50 40 years ago is nothing. Now you can get a passable stereo.

Nonsense! The spectrum of appliances has grown - there's more cheap units based around cheaper components, but high-end valve-based amps are still very much available. My point being: What you could buy for ?50 40 years ago is nothing. Now you can get a passable stereo.

It sounds better then my Pioneer Ellite that I own :D

When it comes to high-end audio there's not really anything such as "better" or "worse" but much more in preference. Tube amps in general have a very nice sound but it depends on what you listen to.

When it comes to high-end audio there's not really anything such as "better" or "worse" but much more in preference. Tube amps in general have a very nice sound but it depends on what you listen to.

exactly, you like the deformation (and yes it is just that) that a tube amp causes more than that of transistor amp. That doesn't say much about the frequency spectrum both types have or their quality

It sounds better then my Pioneer Ellite that I own

Define better? It sounds warmer, richer? Sure, but that's not the pure sound that's been recorded, valve amps shape the sound that way. As such, it's less "genuine/pure".

Same with vinyl collectors who argue that hiss and crackle are beneficial... ;)

Carvin in California makes one of the best tube amps money can buy for a home audiophile http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TS100 really good price for something that is 100% US made and great build quality with good looks if you don't mind a lot of chrome.

I've been using their guitar gear for at least 20 years, most people buy the TS100 for a guitar rig but it really makes a difference in your home entertainment system, I purchased one and a set of their speakers and my stereo setup took on a whole new identity in a good way.

We have a gorgeous old rosewood upright console radio from the 1940's that has a built-in shortwave and (at the time) TV audio band reception. Back then the audio wasn't usually built into the TV video unit. Has a huge 18" speaker up front and tubes galore. Stands about 4 feet high.

Years ago I unsoldered the caps etc. at one end and tested them, replacing those that failed, changed the weak tubes, upgraded the power cord etc. I also added an internal AUX input for external sources.

Sounds terriffic - and yes, I like the warm sound :)