Removing a stripped screw from a laptop?

I'm pretty much lost right now.

Trying to remove the screw holding in a mini pci wireless adapter and the heads stripped with very little trying.

Tried sticking a rubber band over it for traction and wont work, it's in ridiculously tight (thanks dell) and I honestly don't know where to proceed from here.

Suggestions appreciated.

post-33944-0-14854900-1337358169_thumb.j

try using a pliers (pointy tip); if the screw is in a tight place only accessible by a screw drive then idk. :(

I can't tell from the picture if the head of that screw has enough of an edge on it at the base but I would try needle-nose vice grips.

Get a small flat file that you can file with using the side of the file. Cut a straight path across the screw so you can get a small straight screw driver into the new cut.

• Like 2

Laptop screws suck to deal with, because they're so small. You can try to cut a slot in it, as mentioned above, to get a flathead in there. Alternatively, you can drill it and pop it out that way. Depending on the type of screw, you could probably force a driver into it hard enough by hand to screw it out if you want.

Get a small flat file that you can file with using the side of the file. Cut a straight path across the screw so you can get a small straight screw driver into the new cut.

Yeah i might try this but a bit worried about the filings - will give it a crack over the weekend! Miffed a simple job is gonna take so long!

Thanks for the replies guys.

Last time I had a stripped screw in a laptop I grabbed my drill and a bit the size of the screw (not the head) and drilled it out... basically you can use a bit smaller and drill thru the screw (ONLY THE SCREW - Becareful here) so when the center of it is gone it relaxes its grip on the walls and should twist on out with a pair of needle nose.

Sometimes a screwdriver with a bigger head works for me. The method that works for me the best is applying a bit more pressure than normal and quickly turning the screw. Sometimes just getting it to move a little bit in that jerking fashion is enough to get it loose enough to remove it normally.

The old T-40 series Thinkpads were notorious for that!

Hello,

If you do decide to use an "abrasive" method to remove the screw (file, Dremel tool and so forth) you may want to make a mask around the screw by cutting an antistatic bag to fit and taping it around the edges so it's solid. You can use a piece of tape rolled in a loop to "pat" the dust/filings away.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Tried using the screwdriver adapters on a drill driver? For those uber tight ones, the drill with a screwdriver attachment almost always helped unless the screwhead is mixed up. You could try filling the head with a settling solid agent (glue ??) with a screwdriver in it and then let it dry and then try turning the driver see if the screw comes loose.

Superglue the end of a screwdriver to it, if superglue is not strong enough, use something fast drying but strong like No More Nails or Fast Drying Araldite

tape off the surrounding area...grab a drill and drill out the hole where the screw is. Or grind off the head of the screw.

Orrr, grind a flat head screw slot on the screw then grab a flat head screw driver and remove the screw.

Problem solved.

looking at the thing, if you have a suitably sized flat headed driver, you might be able to fit it into the remains of the cross without having to attack it with a file.

• Jim K locked this topic