Olympic torchbearers cash in at up to

Some of Britain's Olympic torchbearers have been making the most of their country's special moment -- by selling their torches on eBay, attracting bids of over ?150,000 ($237,000, 186,000 euros).

The gold-coloured torches began appearing on the auction website within hours of the torch relay starting in southwest England on Saturday, and one torchbearer said Monday she had received a final bid of ?153,000.

Each of the 8,000 runners -- chosen for their "inspirational" personal achievements or contribution to local communities -- can buy their torch for ?215, discounted from the ?495 cost price, a London 2012 spokeswoman told AFP.

One torch, used on Saturday and billed as "an amazing sporting souvenir -- be one of the first to have one!" was attracting bids of over ?30,000 on Monday, while another seller was asking a minimum of ?145,000.

Organisers said they were powerless to stop the sales.

more

As far as I'm aware it hasn't been confirmed that anyone has actually paid ?150,000 for a torch. However, the woman selling the torch may not run now that news of the sale has got out - apparently she's worried that people will attack her on the route :laugh:

you would think you would keep something like that.

I'd take the money if someone was stupid enough to pay it. Why would you want to keep something like that?

Why would you want to keep something like that?

Because its an amazing piece of memorabilia. That said - if I was getting anything north of $10k for it, it would be sold.

Because its an amazing piece of memorabilia. That said - if I was getting anything north of $10k for it, it would be sold.

To each his own. I'm with Detection and think it's just a worthless piece of junk :)

Of course, it would make a good comedy cigarette lighter ;)